PDA

View Full Version : B5 Sopmod Bravo - rubber buttpad too sticky?

grunz
06-28-13, 15:05
The rubber on this pad is much stickier than that of Magpul or Vltor stocks I've used and it seems to really drag on cotton shirts, slowing down rifle movement - say like shifting hold for a re-load or to high ready etc. I think it would be perfect when running with a nylon PC or other gear, but for cotton shirts its a bit too much.

Thoughts?

GH41
06-28-13, 15:16
Silicone grease. Rub it on and wipe off excess. It will take some of the bite out of it. GH

snakedoctor
06-28-13, 16:50
Or just rub some dirt on it

narcedglocker
06-28-13, 19:03
no problems with mine

AKDoug
06-28-13, 22:05
Good. I'm not the only one. The first series pads were perfect. The new ones, not so much. Mine got removed about 15 minutes into my last class. There was NO way I could mount the rifle wearing a Goretex rain coat. I contacted B5 and Grant to see if they had any old ones laying around, to no avail. I am now rocking the B5 with no butt pad at all since I've broken the locking tab on both of them while mortaring the rifle in class. No reason to buy a replacement when I can't get what I want.

TOMTOM
06-28-13, 22:46
Good. I'm not the only one. The first series pads were perfect. The new ones, not so much. Mine got removed about 15 minutes into my last class. There was NO way I could mount the rifle wearing a Goretex rain coat. I contacted B5 and Grant to see if they had any old ones laying around, to no avail. I am now rocking the B5 with no butt pad at all since I've broken the locking tab on both of them while mortaring the rifle in class. No reason to buy a replacement when I can't get what I want.

What color are you looking for? I have a an FDE with 1 broken locking tab, its one of the original ones that is not sticky at all.

I'm going to buy a newer one from grant. If you want this one for free just shoot me a PM.

grunz
06-29-13, 00:31
Interesting, there was a change in production method for the pad??

Anyway I'm liking the stock, and I really like the rotation limited QD which helps stop the sling from binding up but this very sticky pad is annoying.

AKDoug
06-29-13, 01:26
Yes. There was a change right at the same time they went to the anti-rotation QD.

Thanks for the offer TomTom, I will PM you from my computer tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone on tapatalk

foxtrotx1
06-29-13, 03:41
I must be weird, I love how sticky it is. Then again, I was going from an M4 stock.

msstate56
06-29-13, 10:01
First, everyone cried that the original version was too slick. Now people are crying that the new one is too sticky. Those guys at B5 just can't catch a break.

I my experience, the new "sticky" version is much preferred. It holds its place on nylon plate carriers and uniforms much better than the older butt pads. I think that kind of gear was their target, because that's what people carrying a gun into harms way wear. I don't think they put too much thought into the cotton t shirt crowd. I'd rather my stock work on my plate carrier and my polyester uniform, than a cotton t shirt on the range.

tog
06-29-13, 10:45
Just curious to know if any cleaning chemicals or lubes might have contaminated the stocks making them sticky or are they made that way? Thanks

AKDoug
06-29-13, 10:49
They are made that way. Running straight up plastic, no pad, works best for me anyway.

ra2bach
06-30-13, 12:51
Just curious to know if any cleaning chemicals or lubes might have contaminated the stocks making them sticky or are they made that way? Thanks

sticky is not a good way to describe it - not sticky like gooey that would come from a chemical reaction. it's just rubbery, like a pencil eraser but more durable.

the older ones were more slippery but, IMO, this is a much better variation and I can't see why anyone would object to it.

in fact, for anyone that has one of the sticky ones and wants to trade, I have the other model in FDE. pms welcome...

Μολὼν λαβέ
06-30-13, 19:25
My favorite stock was the Vltor IMOD before I bought a B5 Bravo. It's a little lighter and cheaper. I've had no problems with the butt pad. Actually, I like it very much no matter what I'm wearing.

RWH24
06-30-13, 20:33
There is a liquid product shotgun shooters use on their recoil pads to make them less sticky and a little slicker. Easier to mount when competing. Don't recall the name but is in a bottle like fingernail polish and applicator brush.

Biggy
06-30-13, 21:22
There is a liquid product shotgun shooters use on their recoil pads to make them less sticky and a little slicker. Easier to mount when competing. Don't recall the name but is in a bottle like fingernail polish and applicator brush.

Here is a link to it. Its been around awhile and it is not cheap, but if it works as advertized , it is an option to those that feel less grip is better.

http://www.brownells.com/gun-cleaning-chemicals/cleaning-kits/cleaning-kit-accessories/kick-eez-slick-eez-prod7402.aspx

keller
07-01-13, 11:34
Thank you MSSTATE56 for getting it.

C4IGrant
07-01-13, 11:37
I must be weird, I love how sticky it is. Then again, I was going from an M4 stock.

Most people do.

The main purpose of a buttpad is to keep the gun on your shoulder when shooting one hand. If it is not "sticky," it will not stay there and you will not be able to run the gun.

C4

Redbeardsong
07-01-13, 12:16
First, everyone cried that the original version was too slick. Now people are crying that the new one is too sticky. Those guys at B5 just can't catch a break.

I my experience, the new "sticky" version is much preferred. It holds its place on nylon plate carriers and uniforms much better than the older butt pads. I think that kind of gear was their target, because that's what people carrying a gun into harms way wear. I don't think they put too much thought into the cotton t shirt crowd. I'd rather my stock work on my plate carrier and my polyester uniform, than a cotton t shirt on the range.

For real.

msstate56
07-01-13, 13:05
Thank you MSSTATE56 for getting it.

No problem. I carry one of your Bravo models every night at work. Also have quite a few more at home.

AKDoug
07-01-13, 14:20
Most people do.

The main purpose of a buttpad is to keep the gun on your shoulder when shooting one hand. If it is not "sticky," it will not stay there and you will not be able to run the gun.

C4
You've got to get it there first ;)

03scgt
07-01-13, 15:47
I think I'm gonna pick one of these up to try out.getting tired of using the moe/ctr style stocks

C4IGrant
07-01-13, 15:55
You've got to get it there first ;)

I run the Bravo. Zero issues "getting it there."

C4

Μολὼν λαβέ
07-01-13, 16:09
I think I'm gonna pick one of these up to try out.getting tired of using the moe/ctr style stocks

Magpul makes great quality stocks but B5 makes impressive stocks as well and provide more contact with the face for less money (Bravo).

AKDoug
07-02-13, 00:04
I run the Bravo. Zero issues "getting it there."

C4

Bought mine from you. I love the stock and won't be changing because of one minor thing I dislike.

ennbeegunny15
07-02-13, 17:56
Hmmm, I run two of those stocks and I don't find that to be a problem.

tgizzard
07-02-13, 18:50
Just bought one of these tonight. It will be replacing a Magpul MOE stock. Interested to see how it compares to the MOE.

gcp
07-02-13, 19:42
I have a question, which of the two stocks do you prefer, the B5 SOPMOD BRAVO or the Magpul CTR? Need to pick an aftermarket stock for my new build so your advice will be appreciated.

RWH24
07-05-13, 17:39
I have changed both my AR's to the B5 Bravo. More comfortable to me, better fit.

tfltackdriver
07-11-13, 16:52
The rubber on this pad is much stickier than that of Magpul or Vltor stocks I've used and it seems to really drag on cotton shirts, slowing down rifle movement - say like shifting hold for a re-load or to high ready etc. I think it would be perfect when running with a nylon PC or other gear, but for cotton shirts its a bit too much.

Thoughts?

I thought I was the only one. I bought one from Grant about a month ago and couldn't figure out why this one was not comfortable when I had really liked the competitor's version just a year ago. See the sig line. I don't wear nylon anything if I can help it. It is not for me. I'd hold onto it if I could find a harder rubber replacement.

tpevan
07-11-13, 18:32
I think B5 got the "stickiness" of the their butt pad just right. Works great on poly and cotton alike. All of the Magpul MOE and CTR samples I've ever handled have always been to grippy.

AKDoug
07-12-13, 01:20
Do you have the older version, or the newer one of the B5? The new one is way stickier than an MOE.

tpevan
07-12-13, 11:37
Do you have the older version, or the newer one of the B5? The new one is way stickier than an MOE.

Purchased mine in June of this year from BCM. Doesn't feel stickier.