PDA

View Full Version : Shorten my 12FVSS or sell?

machman72
06-29-13, 18:43
I got a package deal on a LNIB 308 Savage 12FVSS with 20 rounds through it. I have been wanting a 308 bolt for a while now. I am a 3-gun shooter and plan to venture out into precision rifle matches. I was really looking to get a 20" rifle, but this Sav 12 kind of fell into my lap. Now that I have it, I have quickly realized that the 26" barrel is definitely too long/muzzle heavy for my desires.

I am a machinist and can cut the barrel to 20-22". While I'm at it, I might bead blast it to give it a matte finish. If you were me, would you do that or sell the rifle and get an LTR or 10P? Something else I would like is a DBM.

Thanks for your input.

broylz
06-29-13, 19:48
I would sell that barrel and buy one you want. if youre a machinist, then swapping barrels with a barrel nut wrench and a headspace guage should be easy enough.

jbjh
06-29-13, 23:00
A new barrel with run you about 300 plus shipping and take about a dozen weeks for any length other than 26" (standard finished length) and varmint or bull contour.

Seeing as you're a machinist, I'd pull the barrel and cut it. You're going to be investing in a barrel nut wrench, action vice and go/no-go to get the barrel off to chop it or change it, so you can work on this gun and shoot it while you're waiting for exactly what you want to show up. Talk to Jim Briggs at NSS, he'll hook you up with whatever you need for a Savage (you gotta call him on the phone - emails don't work).

ICANHITHIMMAN
06-30-13, 08:02
Dude chuck it and chop it

machman72
06-30-13, 09:01
I have successfully cut down and re-crowned Remy 700 and a few other bolt guns without removing the action. You just have to have a lathe big enough so the action can fit through the lathe bore.