PDA

View Full Version : Wheeler Delta Series Armorers Kit

coastwatcher42
06-29-13, 19:26
Does anyone have a Wheeler Engineering Delta Series AR Armorers Professional Kit or have any experience with one?

http://www.battenfeldtechnologies.com/wheeler-engineering/catalog.asp?product=delta-series-ar-armorers-professional-kit

I have read through a lot of the threads pertaining to armorer's kits and know that I don't need and will probably never use a lot of things in the kit. Even so, it doesn't change the fact that I want one if it's not a total piece of crap. Cabela's is offering them for $199.

Does anyone know anything about these kits? Are they junk or reasonably dependable tools. Please, no lectures on the fact that I won't need some (many?) of the items in the kit as I'm already aware of this. Thanks.

Voodoochild
06-29-13, 19:55
Looks like a pretty good kit. Might want to ping IG and see what he recommends he has a pretty solid background on that field.

MistWolf
06-29-13, 21:02
I have never used this kit, but judging from the photo, I would not pay $200 for it

06-29-13, 21:03
The armorer's kit IG suggested I buy for his Armorer's Course(AR-15) wasn't a kit. It was individual pieces from Brownell's. Ran right at $400. Add in a G Reaction Rod and it hit around $500. JM2CW.

High Tower
06-29-13, 21:03
I am curious about this as well except I am eyeing up the essentials kit or parts of it anyway mostly the multi-function wrench.

High Tower
06-29-13, 21:05
The armorer's kit IG suggested I buy for his Armorer's Course(AR-15) wasn't a kit. It was individual pieces from Brownell's. Ran right at $400. Add in a G Reaction Rod and it hit around $500. JM2CW.

Do you have a link to this or a list for it?

Iraqgunz
06-29-13, 22:10
Yes, I have seen this and no I wouldn't buy one. Get the punch kits from Brownells, the brass/nylon gunsmith hammer and the various smaller items. Then find a reaction rod (Geissele) if you need upper stuff. A lower receiver block is also handed as are padded vise jaws.

coastwatcher42
06-29-13, 22:36
Yes, I have seen this and no I wouldn't buy one. Get the punch kits from Brownells, the brass/nylon gunsmith hammer and the various smaller items. Then find a reaction rod (Geissele) if you need upper stuff. A lower receiver block is also handed as are padded vise jaws.

Is the reason you wouldn't buy one is because it is of poor quality or that it contains uneccessary items? If I can, I want to buy a complete kit but I want good quality. Brownells offers a kit that I've heard is excellent, but it is $1449. LMT has a kit listed on their price list ($800) but I can't find it on their website or in their printed catalog to see what it contains and see a picture. I e-mailed them and am awaiting a reply.

The question is - why would I be considering spending $800 on a kit when I could assemble needed pieces myself and save money. The only answer I can give is that my OCD compells me to want organization (i.e. having things in a kit) rather than assembling them myself. An example is that, rather than buying tools as I needed them and only what I actually needed, 25 years ago I went to Sears and plunked down several thousand dollars on a huge tool chest chocked full of tools. I estimate that, over the years, I have only used about 35-40% of the tools, but they came as a kit. I can't seem to help myself, it's in my DNA.

tog
06-29-13, 22:40
I don't know much about tools, but it seems there is not $250 worth of material in that kit. The brushes and picks can be had at just about any flea market for a few bucks.

Iraqgunz
06-30-13, 00:04
I never mentioned those kits for a reason. They are overpriced and there is stuff in there that you don't need. Go look at the basic stuff I recommend for use in my classes.

The Wheeler things is a cheap piece of crap IMO.

Is the reason you wouldn't buy one is because it is of poor quality or that it contains uneccessary items? If I can, I want to buy a complete kit but I want good quality. Brownells offers a kit that I've heard is excellent, but it is $1449. LMT has a kit listed on their price list ($800) but I can't find it on their website or in their printed catalog to see what it contains and see a picture. I e-mailed them and am awaiting a reply.

The question is - why would I be considering spending $800 on a kit when I could assemble needed pieces myself and save money. The only answer I can give is that my OCD compells me to want organization (i.e. having things in a kit) rather than assembling them myself. An example is that, rather than buying tools as I needed them and only what I actually needed, 25 years ago I went to Sears and plunked down several thousand dollars on a huge tool chest chocked full of tools. I estimate that, over the years, I have only used about 35-40% of the tools, but they came as a kit. I can't seem to help myself, it's in my DNA.

Campbell
06-30-13, 07:28
Search for the thread on IG's armorer class. I think he has a list of tools you will need for the class. It's a list/it's a kit, right? Buy quality tools that will be used, not fluff.