PDA

View Full Version : Unable to remove safety selector lever

RWH24
06-29-13, 22:22
Spike's AR lower and a PSA LPK. I traded for this carbine and the selector never really had that "SNICK" on and "SNICK" off when moved.
I pulled the handgrip to check the spring and detent. Both were fine. Hammer cocked and twisted the selector back and forth but only moved out about 1/16" and stopped hard. It still rotated but refused to pull out anymore. I did not remove the FCG to try and remove the selector at the time. My factory gun, the selector has been in and out several times. I watched some YT videos to be sure I was doing this right. Still not coming out.
Do I just need a Bigger Hammer or larger pry bar?:moil:

Thanks guys, Make it easy on an old guy please. :o

polymorpheous
06-29-13, 22:28
You'll probably need to pull the rest of the FCG to remove the selector.

A few questions:
Does the selector function?
Why do you need an audible click?
Why have you pulled the selector from your factory gun several times?

Seems like a prime candidate for "fix it till it's broke".

bruin
06-29-13, 22:46
The selector should come out without having to remove the FCG; if not, something is out of spec. I had the same problem with an ACT ALG's trigger bar adding just enough thickness from the NIB coating to keep the selector from sliding out. A few gentle taps with a punch got it out, and vice versa with its replacement.

RWH24
06-30-13, 00:17
You'll probably need to pull the rest of the FCG to remove the selector.

A few questions:
Does the selector function?
Why do you need an audible click?
Why have you pulled the selector from your factory gun several times?

Seems like a prime candidate for "fix it till it's broke".
My factory gun is all Spikes. I picked up the PSA upper, Spikes lower w/PSA LPK from a private individual. All the AR's I have handled had a positive click into the safe/fire positions. Like a safety on a 1911.
Yes the safety does function properly in a function test and in actual shooting.
I have taken the FCG and Safety out of the factory gun to wash the crud out.

uncle money bags
06-30-13, 00:58
Well, regarding the removal, what those guys said.

As far as the click, does the selector lever have somewhat less friction when moving from one position to the other compared to your other gun?
What kind of pistol grip is installed?

I had a similar problem wherein the selector lever was very easy to move from safe to fire. Also, it did not have a solid positive lockup when in either position. Turns out the spring hole in the MIAD grip i had installed was slightly deeper than stock. I made a short spacer to put in the hole under the spring and that fixed the problem.

polymorpheous
06-30-13, 02:44
My factory gun is all Spikes. I picked up the PSA upper, Spikes lower w/PSA LPK from a private individual. All the AR's I have handled had a positive click into the safe/fire positions. Like a safety on a 1911.
Yes the safety does function properly in a function test and in actual shooting.
I have taken the FCG and Safety out of the factory gun to wash the crud out.

Try using brake cleaner if you need the anal retentive clean.

Bolverk93
06-30-13, 08:20
I had a stripped spikes lower that I assembled with a PSA LPK, and in order to get the safety selector in or out the rest of the FCG had to be removed.

jwperry
06-30-13, 10:09
If you have an after market pistol grip installed, make sure that you have enough spring to get your 'click'. As another member mentioned, some may have deeper pockets than others.
Also, if this was a DIY kit someone did themselves, it may be worth your time taking it apart to verify they did install the spring and correct detent.

RWH24
06-30-13, 11:39
Yes, It has a MOE grip and the selector has that loose/mushy feel when moving it.

While I do have my anal widow woman ways sometimes, but feel I have earned the right.

I will try removing the FCG next time I have an anal moment to take apart things!:laugh:

Thanks to all of you for helpful info.