PDA

View Full Version : USMC ILBE for on the cheap backpacking bag

BCO30
06-30-13, 10:53
I bought one of the ILBE surplus bags at my local surplus store for $80.00 about a year ago. To replace an older pack I used a couple of times on weekend backpack trips. It is supposedly designed by Arc'teryx and manufactured by Propper. Which in my opinions make some pretty good equipment. Arc'teryx has been in the backpacking business for a while and make some pretty decent gear.

Wanted to see if anyone has had any experience using these in the USMC? how'd they hold up. Seem like they'd be good on the trail for on the cheap.

ra2bach
06-30-13, 13:31
Spotsmans Guide is selling these as well...

Grizzly16
06-30-13, 14:27
Not a marine but I looked at one of these very hard for my next pack. I decide it wasn't for me. They are durable (as my marine buddy says: "if it can survive a marine it can survive anything") and huge. Which makes for a great pack if you need to carry 80+lb of stuff and have it survive going to war. But they are pretty heavy even compared to an alice frame + alice pack or other large pack.

For my needs I could never see the time when I'd take a trip where I would need all the space/durability of an ilbe pack AND not wish I'd spent $100 more to buy a lighter more civi friendly pack. Some available packs with similar capacity to the ilbe can be found that are 1-3 lb lighter. That is a pretty huge number. I've gone on 3 day hikes carry 3 lb of gear total.

Guns-up.50
06-30-13, 14:33
I used one regularly, many of us digarded the waste strap , until we got to bridge port. (Lots of mountains) all in all we liked them, as far as durability we repelled using them no rope damage, they were tossed and thrown all the time no real issuses with them ripping or breaking.

reaver22
07-03-13, 22:43
I used one I picked up from ebay for almost a year and half for camping and a bugout bag and I loved it I since moved on to something else but a great pack none the less.

Heavy Metal
07-03-13, 22:59
The ILBE II packs are a super buy right now. Lighter than the MOLLE packs and more comfortable than the ALICE series.

Marines dumped them due to rear plate conflicts on body armor.

You can find them in near-new condition for less than $100 right now.

theblackknight
07-03-13, 23:02
Without armor on, it's actually a really great pack. I'm a waste strap rider, so I loved this pack for that.

sent from mah gun,using my sights

Ledanek
07-05-13, 09:43
would the good folks provide links to these pls?

im looking for a BOB

ra2bach
07-05-13, 13:13
wait, are you looking for the main pack? or the assault pack?

you mentioned BOB so I assumed assault pack. here's a link to main packs in good to excellent condition with cover and waist belt. a lot of the packs you see for less are in worse condition, or missing the cover or belt...

http://tonystactical.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=144

The Rat
07-05-13, 17:36
Not a Marine, but I used one for eight months as a contractor when I had to FOB-hop all the time and essentially live out of my bag. It worked very well for that and held up well. Never had to ruck it for long distances though; usually it was just being carried into/out of helos and convoys.

ra2bach
08-13-13, 13:57
What about CFP-90 packs? seem to have good and bad reviews but mostly good and can be had pretty cheap -- http://tonystactical.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=5

JasonB1
08-13-13, 19:41
What about CFP-90 packs? seem to have good and bad reviews but mostly good and can be had pretty cheap --

Depends on who made the pack, apparently one or more of the contractors used bad thread/stitching which explains why so many of them with any use at all have busted seams. The originals made by Lowe (brown bottom sleeping bag compartment) get really good reviews and the Lowe LOCO I picked up that would have been manufactured during that time period was of quality material & sewing.

RogerinTPA
08-13-13, 21:02
They look like a great ruck for the money, and have considered them at one point, but this ruck alone is over 10lbs. I'm trying not to get into the pack mule mode. My large alice ruck is as large as I'd like to go, and I've have had it up to 80+ lbs back in the day. Walking for days on end in various terrain with that much weight is not a joy I'd like to repeat. In order to keep the weight down, I try to be more efficient, and smarter with the things that go in my ruck. I try to re-evaluate the packing list a couple of times a year to look for ways to save weight.

buzby
08-13-13, 21:07
I have humped more miles than would have liked to with the ILBE. Not a bad pack, and a great deal for anywhere near $100. I've seen them packed with a 100lbs of gear tossed in and out of humvees and seven tons, and rarely break. The most common issue I've seen is from over stuffing the top pack. If that zipper pops, you can't restart it.

HES
08-13-13, 21:59
They look like a great ruck for the money, and have considered them at one point, but this ruck alone is over 10lbs. I'm trying not to get into the pack mule mode. My large alice ruck is as large as I'd like to go, and I've have had it up to 80+ lbs back in the day. Walking for days on end in various terrain with that much weight is not a joy I'd like to repeat. In order to keep the weight down, I try to be more efficient, and smarter with the things that go in my ruck. I try to re-evaluate the packing list a couple of times a year to look for ways to save weight.
I hear what you are saying, but sometimes there are good trade offs. I'd take the extra weight over the havoc that the ALICE pack and frame wreak on ones body.

ra2bach
08-14-13, 12:29
which one are you talking about - ILBE or CFP-90?

my interest in a large pack is not to add lots of heavy stuff but bulky stuff. all my camping gear like my stove, dishes, sleeping bag is light weight but still fairly bulky. add a tent, spare clothes, med supplies, etc., and it quickly gets larger than an assault pack can carry.

also, these large packs are designed to handle more weight and are more comfortable than a 72-hr pack when filled to capacity. I'm always looking to cut down too but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do and the capacity is there for when there's no alternative...

RogerinTPA
08-14-13, 15:22
I hear what you are saying, but sometimes there are good trade offs. I'd take the extra weight over the havoc that the ALICE pack and frame wreak on ones body.

Speaking about my own experience, I've never had an issue with an alice ruck. Depending on individual fitness, amount of weight packing, terrain traversed, weather, etc... it is the weight you hump which wrecks the body, regardless of the type of ruck. Some may be better constructed or more comfortable, but ultimately, it is the weight and individual fitness which determines comfort, and your ability to haul it, at least for me. Good shoulder straps and padding are also priorities, which I've modified on mine.

which one are you talking about - ILBE or CFP-90?

my interest in a large pack is not to add lots of heavy stuff but bulky stuff. all my camping gear like my stove, dishes, sleeping bag is light weight but still fairly bulky. add a tent, spare clothes, med supplies, etc., and it quickly gets larger than an assault pack can carry.

also, these large packs are designed to handle more weight and are more comfortable than a 72-hr pack when filled to capacity. I'm always looking to cut down too but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do and the capacity is there for when there's no alternative...

Speaking of the ILBE. I understand what you're saying. A 3 day bag which I use as a get home bag in my vehicle is a different animal than a large ruck meant to evacuate the area for up to a week. I have a very light weight backpacking tent in the large, but an old GI poncho to use as a shelter in my 3 day. I was even think of getting rid of that for a gortex parka to save weight. Planning for an individual VS a family, are very different in needed gear and load planning, but I have to separate the nice things to have from the essential things I can't live without. It's always a trade off. If the weight becomes too unbearable, you can always cross load with others in the party, cache, or simply chuck it.