PDA

View Full Version : Tight magazine well

rm06
06-30-13, 12:11
I have an Aero Precision lower with a tight magazine well - it was once upon a time a regular magazine well until I fell on it without a mag inserted. I've disassembled everything, checked and replaced the mag catch, confirmed that mags are still snug even without parts.

Is there any way of safely expanding this to it's former self? I have one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/AR15-Lower-Receiver-Magazine-Block/dp/B005J13VCO
Can I shim this and gently pound the receiver onto it? Or is there a better way to accomplish this?

tog
06-30-13, 13:02
I'm sure you're not the first one to do this rm06. I don't have experience enough with the m4 to help with your problem, but I have done it before to a cetme rifle. I'm sure someone with knowledge will be along presently to help you. This is one reason I always make sure to have an empty mag in the magwell.

scottryan
06-30-13, 22:34
Your receiver cannot be fixed without removing material.

This is why you don't buy a fly-by-night receiver off the internet.

AKDoug
07-01-13, 00:40
I wouldn't call AP fly by night. It's still 7075 aluminum from forgings that everyone else sources from.

Do you have any pics? Where is it tight at? You are basically in uncharted waters and controlled use of that block and shims might be a solution. It must have been a hell of a fall.

rm06
07-01-13, 07:28
I don't have any pics handy and I don't believe they would help other than to show what I am proposing to do. I'm not able to see that the mag well is slightly crushed but I can feel it as all mags need some slight encouragement to drop free. Loaded mags usually drop free under their own weight.

I'll go ahead and try what I was originally thinking of, I was checking to see if there might be a better solution.

Regarding the fall, it was really more of an uncontrolled lean though I obviously did it in exactly the wrong spot. I'll report back with results if I'm able to produce any.

tog
07-04-13, 17:29
How did it go rm06? Sure hope you got it fixed.

polymorpheous
07-04-13, 17:33

Lol!

Seriously?

Packing a 45
07-06-13, 20:49
I have an Aero Precision lower with a tight magazine well - it was once upon a time a regular magazine well until I fell on it without a mag inserted. I've disassembled everything, checked and replaced the mag catch, confirmed that mags are still snug even without parts.

Is there any way of safely expanding this to it's former self? I have one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/AR15-Lower-Receiver-Magazine-Block/dp/B005J13VCO
Can I shim this and gently pound the receiver onto it? Or is there a better way to accomplish this?

Just a thought, how about a shotgun bbl. dent remover at point of dent, placing flat bar stock on good side. I have never seen one of these tools in use just a thought.

NHbowhunter
07-07-13, 08:36
Where is it tight at? You are basically in uncharted waters and controlled use of that block and shims might be a solution. It must have been a hell of a fall.

OP, does the damaged receiver fit easily over a standard mag well vice block? If not, chalk the block. This should help you identify the out-of-spec area(s) to remove material from.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

rm06
07-07-13, 19:33
The receiver fits on the block with roughly the same tension as a magazine. I don't think it is squished enough to begin whittling away on the aluminum.

I'm planning on using some wax paper as a shim and then gently tap the receiver onto the block with a rubber mallet. I just haven't gotten around to doing it yet. I will update the thread with results.

NHbowhunter
07-07-13, 20:12
Good luck! I hope you are able to fix it!

I am also glad it was only an "uncontrolled lean" instead of a full on smash, although you must be a slimmer man than me. If I were to go into an "uncontrolled lean", the Earth might tilt off axis. :)

gashooter
07-07-13, 20:22
Since it is aluminum, if you were to insert a stainless magazine in and out several times with a light polishing compound coating, the magwell should become "LAPPED IN" enough to correct the issue.

Just a thought......

The_Hammer_Man
07-07-13, 23:37
As a shim for enlarging your magwell back to factory spec.... use clear packing tape on the mag. It holds thickness better than wax paper, IMO, and will keep your mag and your mag well relatively scratch free.

This is a not too uncommon issue with LEO carbines. Usually, if they're not up front with the officer, they're in the trunk. (Usually under all the other crap cops have to drag around with them.. and also usually in a soft case)

I went to the trouble of making a fake magazine out of Delrin.

Tzed250
07-08-13, 09:09
If you can identify the location of the warped/bent area you can use a small bolt/nut combo to "jack" the part back into spec. Back the opposite side with some steel plate, put the nut/bolt under the bend then screw them apart. Use calipers to check progress.

Tzed250
07-08-13, 09:20
Double tap...

rm06
07-13-13, 13:48
So I chose to take the advice of using clear packing tape over the delrin mag vise block. I first applied a single layer of tape and gently tapped the receiver onto the tape-covered block with a rubber mallet, then followed up with a second layer of tape and repeated the process.

This seemed to be all that was need to once again allow mags to drop freely, thanks to everyone who replied with suggestions.

discreet
07-13-13, 14:23

How is Aero Precision fly by night? They arent an unknown company in any way *facepalm*. Sure they aren't a Colt, but they def not on the likes of DPMS or any of that consumer made junk.

and good stuff on the fix. IMO its better to have a magwell too tight in spec, than too loose. Can alway loosen things up, but cant tighten them up.

The_Hammer_Man
07-14-13, 08:02
+1 to the above post.

Aero Precision is definitely NOT a "fly by night" manufacturer. They've been around for quite a while and while they're not Colt. They DO make a dependable product.

I use their uppers for builds all the time. No problems. I also have 2 of their lowers that are my personals. Never had a problem with them.

@the OP... Glad that trick worked for you. The problem you had with your wep is common enough that I have a roll of packing tap and my delrin mag/rubber hammer combo in my range tool kit for those times that someone gets a mag stuck in their well.

operator81
07-16-13, 18:03
Thanks to this thread my Aero lower now drops PMags freely. I used masking tape and crammed a PMag in and left it for two days. Problem solved.

scottryan
07-16-13, 22:54
Stripped lowers are sold stripped for a reason. I have seen enough data points in my gun career on this that I can definatively say this. That doesn't mean all of them are bad.

They are from rejected lots or lots that have reduced QC checks.

I have also never seen an out of spec colt mag well, ever.

This alone is why I will never use any other lower than a Colt.

A out of spec mag well is the worst thing that can happen to an AR-15 because it is not correctable.

Tzed250
07-17-13, 06:31
My JD Machine "stripped" lower works fine and drops empty P-mag gen2 and gen3, as well as Brownells USGI 20rd, mags as it should. Another data point. The Aero Precision upper that is mated to it fits and functions well.

The_Hammer_Man
07-17-13, 15:07
Scott... it wasn't out of spec.. it was bent from being fallen on. VERY different thing.

I'd like to see your documentation about how their stripped lowers/uppers are of a "lower QC level". Been using their parts for quite a while and not had any issues.

About forged lowers and bent sidewalls. This is not that uncommon and can usually be "fixed" by using the tape and old mag trick.

jasonhgross
07-19-13, 12:37
Had the same issue with a different manufacturer. Call them to send it back. No home self-fixing will make you feel confident in the out of spec lower you have.

AKDoug
07-20-13, 03:03
HE FELL ON IT AND BENT IT.

rm06
07-20-13, 09:24
HE FELL ON IT AND BENT IT.

This, thank you AKDoug

The dysfunction was induced by me, not the manufacturer.

scottryan
07-20-13, 12:50
How do you fall on a lower so hard to bend it?

rm06
07-20-13, 18:39
How do you fall on a lower so hard to bend it?

I really do not know. I lost my balance in the mud trying to stand after a transition drill kneeling behind cover (dry firing, no mags). I'm guessing my knee was the force multiplier on the empty magwell.