PDA

View Full Version : Christensen CA-15

liverup
06-30-13, 12:59
I have an opportunity to purchase a Christensen CA-15 with an agoc TA-31 optic for just under 4k. I realize that for the price a could get x,y or z rifle that is better or just as good for less. The question is, is less than 4k a good price for what is being offered? I gave her an opening offer of 2750, which didn't float to well, but didn't make her angry so do I come up closer to the 3900 or let it go.

ra2bach
06-30-13, 13:09
Christensen, is this the one that makes carbon wrapped barrels? I have no idea if they make a good AR or not but since they're not on my radar I would not be inclined.

car dealers and vacation companies bundle packages to make their offer seem like you're getting a deal. but that only works if you sincerely want all the items in the package.

let me ask you, if the ACOG was not in the pkg, would you want the gun? and if the gun was not in the pkg, would you want the ACOG?

personally, I think there are better alternatives for both even at the price you first offered. for $2750 I could get a Daniel Defense carbine with a SWFA 1-6 scope and be verrrrry comfortable that I had a top of the line weapon system...

MountainRaven
06-30-13, 13:14
Let it go.

All the ones I have seen have been 223 Remington chamber, 1-in-9" rifling, unstaked castle nut, &c., &c., &c., all tied to an untested and unproven piston system.

Seven years ago, the Christensen would have been hot sh__ with the piston system and carbon fiber-wrapped barrel. In a post-piston AR America... not so much.

liverup
06-30-13, 13:25
O
Christensen, is this the one that makes carbon wrapped barrels? I have no idea if they make a good AR or not but since they're not on my radar I would not be inclined.

car dealers and vacation companies bundle packages to make their offer seem like you're getting a deal. but that only works if you sincerely want all the items in the package.

let me ask you, if the ACOG was not in the pkg, would you want the gun? and if the gun was not in the pkg, would you want the ACOG?

personally, I think there are better alternatives for both even at the price you first offered. for $2750 I could get a Daniel Defense carbine with a SWFA 1-6 scope and be verrrrry comfortable that I had a top of the line weapon system...

I have about 1 of every ar made, so I am aware of what I could buy. Is the rifle being offered worth 3900 or is it worth 2750? I'm not looking to purchase this rifle for home defence or training. It is to be added to a collection. So does anyone know what I should pay for this gun?

justin_247
06-30-13, 13:27
There is absolutely nothing about that rifle that justifies that kind of money. Run away from it.

RogerinTPA
06-30-13, 13:28
I have an opportunity to purchase a Christensen CA-15 with an agoc TA-31 optic for just under 4k. I realize that for the price a could get x,y or z rifle that is better or just as good for less. The question is, is less than 4k a good price for what is being offered? I gave her an opening offer of 2750, which didn't float to well, but didn't make her angry so do I come up closer to the 3900 or let it go.

The price is asinine. For your offering price, why not go for a noveske or kac? Something more proven and held in high regard than a weapon most has never heard of or used?

What drew you to this weapon in the first place? Adding it to a collection? What's the point?

Why no research other than price compare?

Despite the optic, what makes you conclude this weapon is better than a colt, bcm, kac, DD, lmt or noveske, set up similarly for less than what they are selling it for?

liverup
06-30-13, 13:31
The price is asinine. For your offering price, why not go for a noveske or kac? Something more proven and held in high regard than a weapon most has never heard of or used?

What drew you to this weapon in the first place?

Why no research other that price compare?

Despite the optic, what makes you conclude this weapon is better than a colt, bcm, kac, DD, lmt or noveske, set up similarly for less than what they are selling it for?

I already have all of them looking to find out value of this rifle, not much info out there. Will post at arf.com maybe they can help, or comprehend.

liverup
06-30-13, 13:33

What drew you to this weapon in the first place? Adding it to a collection? What's the point?

Why no research other than price compare?

Not trying to be a hugh dick but, what part of my post confused you? I have a metric tonne of ar's from all manufactures. Just want to know what this rifle is valued at. Not that I could by x,y or z as stated earlier. So does anyone know what a fair price for the rifle would be.

justin_247
06-30-13, 13:50
I have about 1 of every ar made, so I am aware of what I could buy.

Wait, so you have like 50 ARs? Just offhand, this means you have ARs from all of the following?

Troy
Grizzly
Wilson
Centurion
Noveske
Colt
DD
S&W
Bushmaster
DPMS
Model 1
Del-Ton
LaRue
KAC
DTI
BCM
LMT
Les Baer
Armalite
Rainier
AAC
Remington
POF
Adams Arms
Spike's
Stag
RRA
LWRC
H&K
Ruger
Sionics
Mega
Seekins
Accurate Armory
YHM
Riflegear
PSA
Ambush
Barrett
FN
CMMG
Bean Firearms
Olympic
NIT
JRC
ATI
Diamondback
Mossberg
SIG
Windham
Anderson Manufacturing
Core15
ADCOR
PWS
Chiappa
Black Rain Ordnance
Doublestar
Ares
Alexander Arms
High Standard
Sabre

EDIT: Thought I'd add a few more to ensure he can round out his collection.

JP
Next Generation Arms
Vulcan
Hesse
GM Hydra-Matic
Charles Daly
Para USA
ZM Weapons
Young Manufacturing

RogerinTPA
06-30-13, 13:51
Not trying to be a hugh dick but, what part of my post confused you? I have a metric tonne of ar's from all manufactures. Just want to know what this rifle is valued at. Not that I could by x,y or z as stated earlier. So does anyone know what a fair price for the rifle would be.

Your post wasn't posted prior to me starting my reply and going out to have a smoke.

Don't want to sound like a dick, but if you're wanting to add this to your collection, what does that say about your collection?

You've obviously got a hard on for this weapon, and nothing said will change your mind, so I say, go for it.

rackham1
06-30-13, 13:51
For not trying, you're certainly succeeding. I comprehend perfectly that this site is generally devoid of prattle about "collections", a big plus for me. Expecting an answer to your question but getting pissy about receiving "buy something better for less" answers is as silly to me as spending thousands on that thing just for the pursuit of having one of everything. Also means you haven't been paying attention here or you'd have started out differently.

So yes, go to TOS. Please.

LostinKY
06-30-13, 13:57
My large LGS has had one in the case for overtwo years now and I can't say for sure but it has not moved and inch.
I think they got $3000 on it.

So I would but the local value at about $1200.

VIP3R 237
06-30-13, 14:00
One of my buddies has one and it is a jamOmatic, it has been back to Christensen twice for work.

liverup
06-30-13, 14:09
Your post wasn't posted prior to me starting my reply and going out to have a smoke.

Don't want to sound like a dick, but if you're wanting to add this to your collection, what does that say about your collection?

You've obviously got a hard on for this weapon, and nothing said will change your mind, so I say, go for it.

No not really just want to know a fair price to pay for said gun, but you do not know and I appriciete your honesty.

liverup
06-30-13, 14:11
My large LGS has had one in the case for overtwo years now and I can't say for sure but it has not moved and inch.
I think they got $3000 on it.

So I would but the local value at about $1200.

Thanks, that's the info I was looking for. ie not you could buy this or this is better than that. I understand all that just wanted a fair price.

liverup
06-30-13, 14:16
Wait, so you have like 50 ARs? Just offhand, this means you have ARs from all of the following?

Troy NO DON'T HAVE
Grizzly DON'T HAVE
Wilson HAVE
Centurion
Noveske HAVE
Colt HAVE
DD HAVE
S&W HAVE
Bushmaster HAVE
DPMS HAVE
Model 1 HAVE BUT IN 5.45 DON'T ASK WHY
Del-Ton HAVE
LaRue HAVE
KAC DON'T HAVE
DTI DON'T HAVE
BCM HAVE
LMT HAVE
Les Baer DON'T HAVE YET
Armalite HAVE
Rainier NO
AAC NO
Remington NO
POF NO
Adams Arms NO
Spike's YES
Stag YES
RRA YES
LWRC YES
H&K NO
Ruger YES
Sionics NO
Mega DIDN'T EVEN KNOW MADE COMPLETE RIFLES
Seekins AGAIN DIDN'T KNOW
Accurate Armory NEVER HEARD OF WILL LOOK INTO
YHM DIDN'T KNOW
Riflegear NEVER HEARD OF
PSA YES
Ambush NO
Barrett TRYING TO BUY REC7 AS WE SPEAK
FN NO
CMMG NO
Bean Firearms NO
Olympic NO
NIT NO
JRC NO
ATI NO
Diamondback NO
Mossberg NO
SIG YES
Windham NOT YET
Anderson Manufacturing NO
Core15 NO
ADCOR NO
PWS NO
Chiappa DO THEY MAKE A REAL AR?
Black Rain Ordnance YES
Doublestar NOT SURE WILL HAVE TO LOOK
Ares NO
Alexander Arms NO
High Standard NO
Sabre

AND DON'T HAVE A CHRISTENSEN YET.

Skyyr
06-30-13, 14:20
No not really just want to know a fair price to pay for said gun, but you do not know and I appriciete your honesty.

The problem is that Christensen Arms is a boutique manufacturer, and a piston one at that, so there's no "good deal" price set for such items unless you compare them to the nearest AR, speaking quality-wise. It's not like a Colt where they've sold thousands of rifles and you can compare a range of prices and deals.

That said, a "good deal" price on the rifle alone would be best calculated by looking at what you could trade it for if dissatisfied. You'd be hard-pressed to value it to something like a LWRC, which is the reference piston rifle (or a POF, if you're so inclined). Because of that, I'd value it to a mid-grade DI gun, like an entry Colt or a S&W.

With that, I wouldn't pay more than $1600 for it. The ACOG is ~$1100 new, so you're looking at a combined value of $2700. Those are new prices, so it's worth less than that used.

Personally, I'd avoid it, just based on the few reports of CA quality.

Peshawar
06-30-13, 14:22
With all the money invested in those guns, why not take a training class or three from a well-established instructor? You'd likely not even be asking about this Christiansen rifle if you had, because you'd already know what works based on first hand observation.

justin_247
06-30-13, 14:23
AND DON'T HAVE A CHRISTENSEN YET.

OK, I'm fairly impressed.

Skyyr
06-30-13, 14:27
OK, I'm fairly impressed.

This is sig line material right here, lol.

RogerinTPA
06-30-13, 15:07
I didn't mean to knock on your perceived need vs mine, as I obviously misinterpreted your reason for posting. Mine is of a quality, utility, and training aspect when selecting a weapon. Most new members post a similar question about purchasing a substandard AR as a first carbine to justify their purchase. They get butt hurt when they get many counter thoughts going against their selection. This forum is about quality of weapon, gear and training. Vetting those three mentioned thoroughly prior to purchase. Secondly, the possibility of using that weapon, gear and training to protect self, family, the general public or teammates still in the fight. A fair price is subjective to one's individual needs. I don't think anyone here will pay your offer for that particular weapon, but your need or want is vastly different from what the typical member that collects a series of a type of weapon. Some collect AKs of different variants, others Sigs, Colts, etc...most going for quality. Being a 'just to have' collector's forum, not so much.

eperk
06-30-13, 15:46
I already have all of them looking to find out value of this rifle, not much info out there. Will post at arf.com maybe they can help, or comprehend.

I agree. Maybe you should try arf.com. I think it would probably be a better match for you.

GunnutAF
06-30-13, 15:53
liverup
Well since you obviously have the money to burn -buy it!! :rolleyes: Why do you care what folks here think!!:confused: It's obviously just going to sit in a safe and not be fired as this is what most collectors do hoping someday to make a very good profit off unused firearms that are nolonger made.

Benito
06-30-13, 16:05
If you want to be beta tester for what is currently a question mark manufacturer and design, then sure go ahead. May work out, may not.
Otherwise, the option (and a less expensive one to boot) of buying from a well-tested, proven manufacturer and design sounds more appealing to me, personally.

mjarcuri
06-30-13, 16:33
I am a new jack here. So I try to take in all the valuable information, while not stepping on toes. It's not rocket science. If I'm not looking for a honest answer, I don't ask the ?

lethal dose
06-30-13, 16:54
Based on my research, I can find nothing about the said rifle that would justify a price if much more than $1,000. I understand this will never happen, but take an honest look at the parts list and ask yourself: "does it add up?" In short, it does not.

cthompson36
06-30-13, 17:16
If you're just wanting it to add to a collection then I'd say go for it. It is a cool looking gun and if you just want it because it's unique and want to add it to he collection then I'd say do it. I've seen them for around 3k for just the rifle so I think it wouldn't be a bad deal to maybe offer like 2400 or so and work your way up if they don't accept that.

High Tower
06-30-13, 17:35
I would pass on it at that price. Depending on the configuration, the most I would pay for one of their AR15's would be $2300 for a carbon fiber wrapped barrel and less than that for the regular barrels.

They had an issue with gas ports/blocks in their first run of AR's which they recalled and fixed. Other than that I wasn't aware of any other major issues. They are a custom builder so for the rifles out there with 1:9, .223 Rem chambers etc - that's because they were ordered that way. They can be ordered with 1:7. It is a botique rifle, but they are nice.

HeliPilot
06-30-13, 19:52
I am amazed that it took two pages for the OP's question to finally get a decent response. I thought I'd throw my two cents in because I own a CA-15. That being said, to the OP that price is too high IMO. You can generally get a CA15 for less than 3k brand new. Even with the ACOG it's too much. I would remind the seller that what she has is not NIB and offer no more than 3k. Another note, if you make the purchase I would switch out the standard buffer for at least an H buffer, my rifle would not run consistently until I did this myself.

SeriousStudent
06-30-13, 20:45
The OP has the answer to his question.