PDA

View Full Version : Gen 2 G17 Failure to Extract

Bro KV
06-30-13, 13:27
So I went shooting with my BIL yesterday and he just picked up a Gen 2 G17. It is failing to extract about every tenth round. The case is stopped 3/4 of the way out of the chamber with the next round in the mag pushing up on it from the bottom. All the FTEs happened with WWB 115gr factory ammo. We did run 50 of my reloads through it with zero failures.

He took it to a Smith locally who charged him $50 and said there was nothing wrong with it. I told him that I would look at it, my guns nothing experience comes from 1911s which are different but the same theory.

Is this a regular occurrence? Can someone direct me to the parts to replace if any? Do you guys need more info or pictures?

Thanks
Jeff

samuse
06-30-13, 14:29
Yeah, perfectly normal. Rock on.

Seriously no. It ain't normal for a semi auto to not extract.

Unless something is wrong with the case dimension of the Winchester, I'd say you need to first check for proper assembly.

Make sure the plastic insert in the extractor spring is toward the rear of the slide. I remember it by saying "plastic on plastic, steel on steel". Plastic insert touches the plastic slide plate, steel rod touches the steel extractor.

If that checks out:

Check the extractor hook, replace if worn, chipped or missing, then look at the metal extractor plunger. Replace if bent, broken or damaged in any way. Replace the extractor spring and the plastic insert that goes in the end of the spring. Thoroughly clean and degrease the extractor plunger tunnel in the slide before re-assembly.

I guess it is possible that the chamber is full of laquer from some old Wolf ammo, so maybe worth a look there too.

Bro KV
06-30-13, 20:17
So upon disassembly and inspection I found the extractor is broken. New part on order and I am giving the broken piece to my BIL to take back to the Smith and get his money back. Thanks for the help

ST911
06-30-13, 20:21
Last fall, I had an early two-alpha G17 start failing to extract and found a chipped extractor as the cause. I called Glock and had a replacement in a few days.

It happens. Most common source is generally folks dropping a round into the chamber then dropping the slide.

PA PATRIOT
06-30-13, 22:22
I would also recommend swapping out all the springs since the 2nd Generation has a few years on her and untold number of rounds fired.

Its just good insurance in a old pistol.

Bro KV
06-30-13, 23:27
I would also recommend swapping out all the springs since the 2nd Generation has a few years on her and untold number of rounds fired.

Its just good insurance in a old pistol.

I told him the same thing. Figured we may as well pay one shipping fee and give it a good tune up.

NeoNeanderthal
06-30-13, 23:37
Id change out the recoil spring for sure. They are cheap.