PDA

View Full Version : What do you put in your UBR storage area?

waffentomas
07-01-13, 09:59
I'm pretty happy with with I've been able to get into mine, but I'm always looking for better ideas.

Ya'll are pretty smart...well...most of you...so what are your stuffing in your stock?

I have:

A small sealed packet of Sig oil (even though the rifle is a Colt)
two 'oh shit' rounds
two spare batteries for my eotech
a small sheet of bubble wrap to keep it all from rattling around.

Duffy
07-01-13, 10:06
When I had one, I left it empty, it was hefty as it was.

I may be the minority here, I took all of the batteries out of my storage compartments in the stock and grip. I leave batteries, tools, etc. in my pack where I can access them easier. I don't use these items all the time, therefore I deem they shouldn't be taking up residence and adding weight to my rifle all the time.

My favorite AR hasn't changed much since 2004, except it has new sights, IR designator, etc., it's always been fairly heavy. If I wanted to carry spare batteries, I could probably put 8 CR123 batteries in the grip and SOPMOD stock. For me anyway, I believe that just because it's there, it doesn't mean I have to use it :)

MCS
07-01-13, 10:08
Extra slim jims... j/k I keep mine empty.

moonshot
07-01-13, 10:10
I don't have the UBR yet, but I keep a small bottle of CLP and an extra set of foam ear plugs in my grip.

Swag
07-01-13, 10:55
Extra slim jims... j/k I keep mine empty.

Lol!!!

Never did like those stock "junk bins". Or the grip bins. I can see using them as a way of balancing out a rifle with counterweights but other than that? Meh...

drgracin72
07-01-13, 11:18
The ubr in and of its self is a weight. Damn this is heavy. I always kept skittles in mine!

ra2bach
07-01-13, 12:05
in the buttstock storage I keep the allen wrenches that fit whatever accessory is on that particular gun plus CR2032 batteries for my scope and foam earplugs to keep it all from rattling around. on guns that I shoot my reloads, I also keep a broken shell extractor.

I also like to keep the smallest possible bottle of lube somewhere on the gun, the brand matters not a bit, but I got a tiny bottle of Machinegunners lube and it's a perfect size...

MistWolf
07-01-13, 12:17
In the storage pocket of the UBR and every other nook & cranny of my precision AR, I stuff with helium balloons to lighten the load

Army Chief
07-01-13, 12:40
My experience effectively mirrors Duffy's. I removed the doors from my UBR and installed the alternate screws, leaving the area completely open. It was actually more useful to me in that configuration (handling-wise) than as another potential niche for things that I really don't need to carry on board, much less at that particular balance point.

AC

docsherm
07-01-13, 12:44
A small bottle of RemOil and a Boresnake.

michael word
07-01-13, 12:55
I don't have a UBR stock. However, in the storage compartment on my other stocks, I keep earplugs and a small bottle of oil.

Skyyr
07-01-13, 13:33
Lead shot. I figure I'm awesome enough as it is, why not make myself more manly in the process? :D

pyzik
07-01-13, 15:03
Nothing... I don't have my doors :(

ETA: Any of you sans-doors guys wanna pawn yours off, let me know. :)

Striker6
07-01-13, 17:48
Nothing in mine. As with Army Chief, I removed my doors and have been very happy with the improved handling.

ColtM4Carbine
07-01-13, 20:15
Nothing in mine yet.. Got my UBR in the mail last week and broke my AR-15 tool trying to remove my staked castle nut. Any suggestions?

grunz
07-01-13, 20:45
The UBR übercomplicated abortion of a stock already weighs ONE AND A HALF POUNDS - why make I heavier? :)

NoveskeFan
07-01-13, 20:52
I took the doors off mine. I could see a bore snake and some lube as good to have in there, though.

waffentomas
07-01-13, 21:27
I had to take my colt to a smith to get that damn factory stock off. Colt does a great job staking them. Luckily. I found a guy who'd do it while I waited. Even he had a rough time with all his tools.

BRAD85
07-01-13, 22:48
Took the doors off. Nice stock but it is heavy.

nolt
07-01-13, 22:54
its easier/quicker for me to adjust if i stick my thumb through the hole where the doors would be.

bigkracka
07-02-13, 19:10
Since I am not a soldier, nothing.

Skyyr
07-02-13, 21:53

You run a UBR on an issued carbine?

Obscenejesster
07-02-13, 23:19
I don't have a UBR but I do have a STR that I store things in. I store a small tube of Slip 2000, a few extra parts such has a firing pin, hammer, springs and detents. I also store two extra Aimpoint batteries which would give me roughly 15 years of optics if I ever need them that long in a certain situation.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Koshinn
07-02-13, 23:19
1 extra round so if I run out of my regular supply of ammo, I have an extra round saved to off myself so I don't become a zombie.

Seriously, tax stamps.

Obscenejesster
07-02-13, 23:20

Those of us who are self proclaimed Doomsday Preppers love to store things inside of rifle stocks. :-)

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

montanadave
07-03-13, 04:43
The ubr in and of its self is a weight. Damn this is heavy. I always kept skittles in mine!

"Throw down" skittles?

ryr8828
07-03-13, 06:04
A small bottle of RemOil and a Boresnake.
Me too.

Krusty783
07-03-13, 07:46
Seriously, tax stamps.
:sarcastic:

Ha! Ya never know when you'll run up on a good suppressor deal...

Watrdawg
07-03-13, 07:53
Nothing. I took the doors off.

TMS951
07-03-13, 08:16
its easier/quicker for me to adjust if i stick my thumb through the hole where the doors would be.

Exactly this, I took the doors off and reach through the hole when adjusting it.

RIGPIG
07-03-13, 08:35
Two twinkies and a cupcake.

willieself
07-03-13, 09:41

Exactly this, I took the doors off and reach through the hole when adjusting it.

Me three!!!! But would probably keep a bore snake and small bottle of lube if I did.

LESSTHANZERO
07-03-13, 12:37
ex - wife! :laugh:

kdcgrohl
07-03-13, 12:37
I kept mine off for a long time, and prefer it that way, but I needed somewhere to stick a mini-copy of the form 4. So I threw some 123 batteries in there as well.

TehLlama
07-03-13, 12:42
One has a boreskank in it, that rifle gets more than it's share of .22lr ran through it. The rest, after reading this, are in need of a doorectomy.

Pappabear
07-03-13, 15:26
My experience effectively mirrors Duffy's. I removed the doors from my UBR and installed the alternate screws, leaving the area completely open. It was actually more useful to me in that configuration (handling-wise) than as another potential niche for things that I really don't need to carry on board, much less at that particular balance point.

AC

Anybody got a pick of the doors pulled off?

ALCOAR
07-03-13, 15:32
http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac81/trident1982/DSC07961-1.jpg (http://s888.photobucket.com/user/trident1982/media/DSC07961-1.jpg.html)

JohnsMyName
07-03-13, 16:02
I don't have one, but I keep a Boresnake in my MIAD and extra pair of ear pugs, vary little weight added. If you are so inclined, a bottle of lube, batteries for optics, firing pin, springs etc. might be a good idea, but weight adds up fast especially on an already heavy stock.

P.S. I like the no doors option best!

NoveskeFan
07-03-13, 17:22
http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac81/trident1982/DSC07961-1.jpg (http://s888.photobucket.com/user/trident1982/media/DSC07961-1.jpg.html)

Love it!

http://i523.photobucket.com/albums/w354/jamesbaezan/IMG_1354_zps65e93fa7.jpg

Pappabear
07-03-13, 18:19
Oh shit that is nice. I might gut mine. I like!

Thanks Trident. Long time no Hablo. Good to hear from you.

PB

Glock30
07-03-13, 21:04

I'll double down on this answer:big_boss:

mdrums
07-04-13, 10:13
I have been told by many to keep an extra bolt (BGC) in my Magpul handle. My VLTOR Imod stock has places for batteries, small tube on lube and allen wrench for accessories.

Army Chief
07-04-13, 10:44
Conceptually, I think it was brilliant when the industry began offering components that allowed certain spares (bolts, firing pins, batteries) to be carried on the gun. In actual practice, however, I've found that I have emptied or removed almost all of them, simply because carrying one's bench stock on the gun is pretty much unnecessary, and taken together, adds weight that I don't really wish to carry.

If a bolt goes down, the chances are that my range bag will be very close by. If in a more austere environment, it is entirely likely that I will have a vest on or be similarly-kitted in a way that more easily affords carrying such things on my body. In other words, short of standing on my back deck in my underpants and needing to change out weapon light batteries, I can't see too many operational environments in which I really need to have spares on the gun.

Not saying it is bad practice; merely that I am increasingly sensitive to the associated weight and balance issues, and that all of these ounces contribute to the pounds that I would prefer to bear elsewhere. The UBR is an impressive piece of equipment, and I appreciate how nicely it offsets muzzle-heavy/suppressed configurations; that said, it is not light, and it really doesn't need to be made any heavier by turning it into a storage locker. On the other hand, and as alluded to earlier, I really like the handling attributes afforded by the open/no door setup.

AC

hypeRR600
07-22-13, 19:41
I have a boresnake and spare CR123s in mine.

Boba Fett v2
07-22-13, 21:28
When I had a UBR I didn't use the storage compartment. I removed the storage covers and ran it "skeletonized". I kept a spare bolt, firing pin, gas rings the MIAD grip.

cwegga
07-24-13, 21:25

Me three!!!! But would probably keep a bore snake and small bottle of lube if I did.

Same here. Doors off. I keep foam earplugs in the pistol grip and if I put the doors on, I'd probably keep more earplugs or maybe some chocolate coins in there...

masakari
07-24-13, 21:29
3 allen keys, all for different sized screws on my gear.
eye dropper filled with CLP
ear pro

my pistol grip has batteries.

camoman
07-24-13, 22:06
Allen keys, spare cr123s, and a optics cloth. spare bolt and firing pin in my grip.