PDA

View Full Version : BCM 14.5 middy with VLTOR A5 system. Suggestions?

RMiller
07-01-13, 10:17
I'm having trouble finding the exact information I need.

I'm looking into 14.5" uppers from BCM. Specifically midlengths. Will have a perm'd A2 flash hider if that matters.

I'm coming from a 16" middy that ran ok with PMC and wolf, but had problems with Tula, and ran like a dream with 5.56. My goal is to get this rifle to run fine even on the Tula fodder. Even though throwing the 14.5" middy into the equation doesn't help, I'm sure.

Lower this is being matched with has a Vltor A5 with a standard A5 buffer ( A5H2?). So in a nutshell my questions are:

1) Should I bump the buffer down to an A5H0 or A5H1?

2) Should I just leave the heavier A5H2 in and use a carbine gas system?

3) Are the buffer weights in the A5 buffers interchangeable with regular carbine buffer weights? To the point that I could make my own A5H0 or A5H1 using a different steel/tungsten weight combination? Basically rob some weights out of a reg AR buffer.

Help is much appreciated gentlemen. My goal here is to make a reliable carbine that will eat everything and not be so finicky.

Clint
07-01-13, 11:08
I would give up on hopes of making Tula and 5.56 work in the same configuration.

Tula tends to be very underpowered.

The A5 weights are standard.

You can swap out to all steel A5H0, and that's 3.8 oz, equivalent to an CAR H buffer.

A BCM 14.5 CAR will probably run the std A5 with most ammo.

A BCM 14.5 MID will probably need the lighter A5H0 (CAR H) to run with most ammo.

sadmin
07-01-13, 11:13
14.5 mid with a5h1 here. It was the only config that would consistently work with PMC. 100% bolt lock now. Was it worth it to me in hindsight? No. Car gas with h3 feels the same and is 100% with every flavor. That being said, there is a mondo thread about the 14.5 with LMT enhanced carriers, and that user has no issues.

RMiller
07-01-13, 11:35
I would like it to run with Tula, but if it doesn't I won't be butt hurt about it.

My main concern is PMC bronze. I have a case sitting here and it won't do me any good if I can't run it.

It's good to hear the A5 buffers use a standard weight. Finding an A5 buffer right now is next to impossible and nobody wants to give them up. I can seem to find regular CAR buffers all day.

I found a couple of good deals on BCM middys lately in the EE. But if its worth it to go with a carbine gas I'll spend the extra money and get an upper from BCM direct.

RMiller
07-01-13, 11:36
Btw, does anybody know the spec on a BCM 14.5" middy gas port?

markm
07-01-13, 11:46
Btw, does anybody know the spec on a BCM 14.5" middy gas port?

.076" I believe is what Gunz said. .080" really runs more forgiving in my opinion.

I have one of each, and the .080" is more trustworthy.

RMiller
07-01-13, 11:55
.076" I believe is what Gunz said. .080" really runs more forgiving in my opinion.

I have one of each, and the .080" is more trustworthy.

So same as my DD middy (.076) was. So I'd be looking at the same issues maybe worse with a BCM 14.5 middy.

markm
07-01-13, 12:38
Iraqgunz gave me a 14.5 middy barrel and it has the .080" port.

That thing runs Tula like it was made for it. And it's not overgassed with full powered ammo.

RMiller
07-01-13, 12:52
I found a chart in this thread that will help me determine how to set up my buffer.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=121975

Funny thing is it didn't show up when I searched here, but on a google search. :confused:

Mine has two tungsten and 2 steel weights.

RMiller
07-01-13, 12:57
H0, 4 steel
H1, 1 tungsten, 3 steel
H2, 2 tungsten, 2 steel (original/standard A5)
H3, 3 tungsten, 1 steel
H4, 4 tungsten

And buffers by weights:

H0, 3.8 oz
H1, 4.56oz
H2, 5.33oz
H3, 6.08oz
H4, 6.83

jaxman7
07-01-13, 14:04
RM,

I have two 14.5 guns. One is a DD. The other a BCM. IIRC they are both .076.

The BCM barreled upper has an LMT e-carrier with a standard LMT bolt and McFarland gas rings.

The DD barreled upper has a BCM BCG w/McFarland gas rings.

On a lower setup with an A5H3 with green Springco it will run Tula and Bronze fine. Your question is ironic b/c I did have a few short strokes with Tula yesterday in the BCM gun. Took the gun apart and the bolt would not hold the carrier's weight. Gas rings were shot. Weird because I had just replaced those McFarland gas rings only about 4 months ago. After replacing the rings it ran perfect again.

Buford T (who got me interested in the whole heavy buffer/14.5) has the guts to run a similar setup with a A5H4. ;) I want to try this myself but the first buffer weight in an A5 has a spring in it and obviously I can't just pull a random tungsten weight from another buffer and make an A5H4 because of the spring. When they come available again I will buy one.

Not saying yours will work with an H3 or 4 but mine has been great and is super flat when shooting.

Here is Buford's thread (a lot of great info in it) about his rifle with the heavy buffer with 14.5 barrel.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=109353

-Jax

RMiller
07-01-13, 14:14
Thanks Jaxman

Alright I think I may proceed with the 14.5 middy. I'm hunting for some steel weights to mess with the buffer. Make it an A5H0 or A5H1, etc.

You can see my thread I started on Tula. It recently started giving my rifle fits and wouldn't even cycle the gun. Made it a single shot at times.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=132175

RM,

I have two 14.5 guns. One is a DD. The other a BCM. IIRC they are both .076.

The BCM barreled upper has an LMT e-carrier with a standard LMT bolt and McFarland gas rings.

The DD barreled upper has a BCM BCG w/McFarland gas rings.

On a lower setup with an A5H3 with green Springco it will run Tula and Bronze fine. Your question is ironic b/c I did have a few short strokes with Tula yesterday in the BCM gun. Took the gun apart and the bolt would not hold the carrier's weight. Gas rings were shot. Weird because I had just replaced those McFarland gas rings only about 4 months ago. After replacing the rings it ran perfect again.

Buford T (who got me interested in the whole heavy buffer/14.5) has the guts to run a similar setup with a A5H4. ;) I want to try this myself but the first buffer weight in an A5 has a spring in it and obviously I can't just pull a random tungsten weight from another buffer and make an A5H4 because of the spring. When they come available again I will buy one.

Not saying yours will work with an H3 or 4 but mine has been great and is super flat when shooting.

Here is Buford's thread (a lot of great info in it) about his rifle with the heavy buffer with 14.5 barrel.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=109353

-Jax

calvin118
07-01-13, 14:50
I have owned 14.5 mid uppers from BCM, DD, and Centurion. All have functioned 100% and locked back every time with everything from full power 5.56 to Walmart Tula when paired with H buffers. At one point I tried the BCM and Centurion on an A5 lower. I did not notice a change in recoil or sight picture disturbance but I had a few issues with the weaker ammo. My personal takeaway is that the 14.5 mid is best matched with a standard buffer system, as it is extremely soft shooting already.

jerrysimons
07-01-13, 14:50
I am confused. If your goal is to run more reliably with the weakest factory ammo out there, why would you go from a 16" mid-length to a 14.5" mid-length, when the 16" was already giving you trouble w/ Tula? (genuine question)

RMiller
07-01-13, 15:06
I want a shorter overall length.

Others are reliably running them with PMC, I'm just trying to figure out what they are doing differently.

It really just comes down to playing with buffers and running an in spec gas port.

I am confused. If your goal is to run more reliably with the weakest factory ammo out there, why would you go from a 16" mid-length to a 14.5" mid-length, when the 16" was already giving you trouble w/ Tula? (genuine question)

markm
07-01-13, 15:10
The problem is that there really isn't a "spec" for the port since each manufacturor has their own size.

As stated... I think .080 is the number. Tula runs with this port and an A5 standard buffer.

RMiller
07-01-13, 15:13
The problem is that there really isn't a "spec" for the port since each manufacturor has their own size.

As stated... I think .080 is the number. Tula runs with this port and an A5 standard buffer.

Note taken sir

Bolverk93
07-01-13, 17:10
I just got a BCM 14.5 mid that I put on a lower with a Vltor A5 H2. I just ran 300 rounds through it. It was mostly 5.56, but I got some off brand .223 and some Tula just to see what happened.

It fired everything with ZERO problems. I intentionally tried to acheive a failure to lock back, and could only get that if I shot Tula while holding the buttstock off my shoulder and resting the forearm lightly on my support hand.

I was hesitant to get the 14.5 mid before, but now I am converted for life.

jerrysimons
07-01-13, 18:55
It really just comes down to playing with buffers and running an in spec gas port.

Yeah, I have spent many hours pondering how Jaxman and BufordT's guns run like they do, they definitely seem to be pushing the threshold. Conversely it is rather puzzling that Markm's 14.5" BCM middy used to run with an H3 buffer new but after a few hundred rounds started to choke with the heavy one (referencing an old thread).

Also, I remember ToddK commenting in one thread that he has run an A5h2 buffer on every configuration Noveske makes without problems. The context was speaking of 14.5" mid-lengths and seemed it indicate Noveske 14.5" mids had bigger gas ports than BCMs 14.5 middy.

RMiller
07-01-13, 20:37
It's good to know there are middys that will run with the setup I'm planning. Worst case scenario I can bump the gas port up to .080.

jaxman7
07-01-13, 20:59
Yeah, I have spent many hours pondering how Jaxman and BufordT's guns run like they do, they definitely seem to be pushing the threshold. Conversely it is rather puzzling that Markm's 14.5" BCM middy used to run with an H3 buffer new but after a few hundred rounds started to choke with the heavy one (referencing an old thread).

Also, I remember ToddK commenting in one thread that he has run an A5h2 buffer on every configuration Noveske makes without problems. The context was speaking of 14.5" mid-lengths and seemed it indicate Noveske 14.5" mids had bigger gas ports than BCMs 14.5 middy.

Gonna sound like a broken record here man but as I and others have stated before I really do think that friction (or a comparitively lack of it) does make a difference when using a setup w/a short dwell time, weaker ammo, and heavier buffer and being able to reliably shoot. Both my uppers are absolutely butter smooth when racking the charging handle. Tbe smoothest Ive ever felt. There are a few things that can be done to achieve this. Not to mention just plain old shooting/wearing in and other things.

Last weekend. I built a brand new rifle for a guy. Now questionable parts (per his request after my objections) withstanding he-on paper-shouldve had a smooth running rifle.

-14.5" spikes barrel
-nickel boron BCG
-spikes ST2 buffer...weighed by me at 4.1 oz. As opposed to my H2 which is 4.8 oz.
-Brownells carbine spring
-Froglube

Now that sounds like a pretty smooth running setup but compared to my rifles it was WAY more stiff. It would run the Bronze but did NOT like the Tula at all. Given some time and wearing in (giving less friction) I am very curious if it would run the Tula. The track the BC runs along in the upper smoothing out for example may make quite a difference.

-Jax

jerrysimons
07-01-13, 23:42
Gonna sound like a broken record here man but as I and others have stated before I really do think that friction (or a comparitively lack of it) does make a difference when using a setup w/a short dwell time, weaker ammo, and heavier buffer and being able to reliably shoot.
-Jax

I hear you. I am eager to look into polishing my BCG like you did to your e-carrier. Even still, while you and BufordT are definitely on to something with the friction reduction, it still seems hit or miss on a rifle to rifle basis. The lesson I have gotten is basically just try it and see if it works.

RMiller
07-03-13, 14:23
Had you tried the A5H0 in your setup? Any problems? What size of gas port is your barrel running?

I'm stuck between running the heaviest buffer I can get away with or playing it safe with the lightest buffer I can (A5H0).

14.5 mid with a5h1 here. It was the only config that would consistently work with PMC. 100% bolt lock now. Was it worth it to me in hindsight? No. Car gas with h3 feels the same and is 100% with every flavor. That being said, there is a mondo thread about the 14.5 with LMT enhanced carriers, and that user has no issues.

Peshawar
07-03-13, 21:42
I too have been thinking about putting together an "it'll eat anything" AR. Been leaning towards the Centurion 14.7 carbine gas barrel. This thread has me thinking about a mid-length gas system, but I'm still not sure. I had previously been under the impression that the carbine length gas was the most accommodating when it comes to digesting all kinds of ammo. Thanks for the info, Gents.

jaxman7
07-03-13, 21:51
I too have been thinking about putting together an "it'll eat anything" AR. Been leaning towards the Centurion 14.7 carbine gas barrel. This thread has me thinking about a mid-length gas system, but I'm still not sure. I had previously been under the impression that the carbine length gas was the most accommodating when it comes to digesting all kinds of ammo. Thanks for the info, Gents.

Nothing wrong with that summation man. Many on here would agree.

-Jax

jerrysimons
07-03-13, 21:56

It is. If you truly want a rifle that will run it all with out thinking twice about it a carbine length gas systemis the way to go.

BufordTJustice
07-03-13, 23:40
It's not that simple. A middy with a larger gas port would be less sensitive to changes in ammo than a mil-spec (.060-.062 GP) carbine length gun would be. A rifle length gas system would be even less sensitive than a middy (which is why it's the most forgiving setup).

You want an eat-anything gun? Grab a 16" BCM middy barrel and throw an A5 system under it. Boom. Done. Due to higher port pressures and different pressure curves, properly ported carbines can be MORE finicky than those with middy barrels. Just ask anybody with an LMT 14.5". They shoot nearly as smooth as a middy, and they will promptly tell you to go **** yourself if you run weak ammo (Tula, PMC, etc.).

16" BCM middy + Vltor A5 will eat damn near anything with NO POLISHING. I've seen it. Hell, I have a bud who runs a Tubbs SSS Flatwire spring and carbine H3 buffer under his 16" BCM middy (WAY more spring pressure than the Vltor A5 system) and the damn thing still eats everything he shoves in the chamber...even ultra-weak softball reloads. Don't over think this.

Jax is 100% correct about friction. You want the smoothest gun possible, do what he and I did. BCM 14.5" middy, LMT E-carrier, Vltor A5 system (with A5H4 buffer), lots of polishing on the carrier, and run that bitch wet. If you are worried about reliability, go with a 16" middy barrel.

Clint
07-04-13, 13:18
It's not that simple. A middy with a larger gas port would be less sensitive to changes in ammo than a mil-spec (.060-.062 GP) carbine length gun would be. A rifle length gas system would be even less sensitive than a middy (which is why it's the most forgiving setup).

I think I'm tracking with you.

WHY do you think a middy works with a wider range of ammo?

1911-A1
07-04-13, 13:56
What size are BCM ports?

BufordTJustice
07-04-13, 14:47
I think I'm tracking with you.

WHY do you think a middy works with a wider range of ammo?

A) It's been my experience with the following brands of 16" middies and 16"/14.5" carbine guns: Spikes, BCM (14.5"), Noveske, Daniel Defense, Palmetto State Armory, and Stag. The middy guns, as long as they have a decent sized gas port (all but one DD middy did), were more tolerant of lower powered ammo than their carbine-gas counterparts from the same brand when running the same buffer and spring.

I used to have a spare H3 buffer and Springco Blue spring in my range bag. Every one of the above middies ran Federal M193 55gr and M855 62gr without failure.....and so did the carbines.

However, not every carbine that ran with those NATO rounds ran with Tula 55gr (same lot) and PMC 55gr .223 (Bronze IIRC, same lot). The PSA carbine (16"), BCM carbine (14.5"), and DD (14.5") carbine gas guns struggled running the Tula and PMC with some failures to lock back on empty for each and one malfunction (DD; short stroke on PMC...felt like a squib load in the gun's defense). None of the middies had a bobble. Now, this was not done all at once but just via notes kept over several range trips, but the ammo was consistent and the buffer/spring were identical. It's less than scientific to be sure.

Also, if I throw an H buffer in a carbine gas gun, I can tell right off the bat whether the gas port is too big within 5 shots when running M193. Using that same buffer, I can't tell NEARLY as easily when using a middy gas gun (and some def are over-gassed as well).

B) The "WHY". Well, I'm no engineer, so I would hazard a guess that port pressure plays a a large role, while dwell time could be a factor as well. If we look at the spectrum of guns that are universally recognized as reliable and tolerant of all ammo types and guns that are universally seen as finicky, we see the 20" rifle gas gun at the reliable end and the SBR at the other. They can BOTH be made to work well (don't get me wrong), but one is a practical sure thing while the other is not. I'm no yoda, but I've never seen a properly assembled 20" rifle gas gun fail to function when a parts breakage wasn't the problem. Even with BADLY worn gas rings. However, I HAVE seen many SBR's that were properly assembled by Colt certified armorers (and several factory models from LMT, Colt, and Noveske) that had problems functioning 100% using factory ammo. This is purely anecdotal "evidence" (I hesitate to call it that), but it's what's been my experience so far.

I'll also add that the Vltor A5 system seems to have closed the reliability gap quite a bit regarding gas systems and reliability....so it alone has the ability to make my observations moot to a degree. Love me some A5. :D

Clint, what are your thoughts on the subject. I'd be interested to hear them.

BufordTJustice
07-04-13, 14:49
What size are BCM ports?

BCM carbine ports are mil spec so the same as Colt (.060-.062/3). I've seen several BCM 16" middies with .068 gas ports. My 14.5" middy has a .070 GP best I can guess without taking the FSB off. I know other 14.5" middies have been seen in the wild with .070s.

EDIT: I've seen carbines from Bushmaster, Olympic Arms, and DPMFS with gas ports equal to or larger than .070 on 16" carbine gas guns. Those ran like 6.8's.:rolleyes:

Iraqgunz
07-04-13, 15:33
To the best of my knowledge the TDP calls for .0625-064 for carbine ports and AFAIK that is what BCM is doing.

Mids are in the .076-078 range.

Rifles should be .0935 as far as I know. SPR's are in the .0995 range.

What size are BCM ports?

BufordTJustice
07-04-13, 18:36
To the best of my knowledge the TDP calls for .0625-064 for carbine ports and AFAIK that is what BCM is doing.

Mids are in the .076-078 range.

Rifles should be .0935 as far as I know. SPR's are in the .0995 range.

I stand corrected.

Every Colt i have seen was right near .062. I have heard that BCM had a running change on the 14.5" middy gas port size pretty early in their initial run. Is this true?

Maybe my 14.5 has a .076-078...

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

RMiller
07-04-13, 22:49
Thanks everybody.

I got my hands on some additional buffer weights.

This way I can start light, and work my way heavier. (A5H0~A5H1~A5H2)

RMiller
07-05-13, 20:14
Took the new upper out today. Ran the A5H1 first. Locked back 8 out of 10 times on PMC. 100% on Winchester m193.

Swapped out the weights and ran the A5H0. 100% lock back on everything.

Didn't have any Tula to test. Need to hunt some down.

vicious_cb
07-06-13, 05:59

Meh, I have a 14.5 middy that will barely run with tula and I mean just barely. Something like it will fail to lock the bolt back half the time doing a single round in the magazine test. Switch to other .223 pressure loads even ones considered weak like Remington UMC and it works perfectly and I am OK with that. Im starting to think maybe its a good thing if a gun barely runs with tula.

The_Hammer_Man
07-07-13, 05:58
I purposely set up the uppers I build for customers so you CAN NOT run Tula through it :)

Hate what that bi-metal projectile does to barrels. The only reason to buy that stuff is for cheap practice ammo. I'd never use, and neither would most of the people I know, use Tula for anything "serious".

Considering that most of the PD's around here are using Winchester ammo it's probably for the best.

Peshawar
07-07-13, 14:22
I purposely set up the uppers I build for customers so you CAN NOT run Tula through it :)

Hate what that bi-metal projectile does to barrels. The only reason to buy that stuff is for cheap practice ammo. I'd never use, and neither would most of the people I know, use Tula for anything "serious".

Considering that most of the PD's around here are using Winchester ammo it's probably for the best.

Ok, I'll bite. How exactly do you set up an upper to NOT run bimetal ammunition? And cheap practice ammo, oh... the HORROR. :p

The_Hammer_Man
07-07-13, 16:17
If you read back a bit you'll find that gas port size,bolt carrier weight and buffer/spring weight all contribute to a proper cycling weapon.

To make it impossible, or at least difficult, to shoot Tula and it's variants all you need do is adjust those contributors so that there is enough movement in the system to operate using normal ammunition but not the underpowered ammo.

To test this all you need to do is either increase or decrease your buffer weight OR your buffer spring tension. (IE, switch from a normal buffer spring to a Sprinco blue or red) The loss of function is usually immediate and obvious.

Cheap ammo like UMC/PMC is fine.. it uses a copper jacketed bullet. The bi-metal stuff is a copper washed steel bullet. In tests it's been shown to markedly reduce barrel life.

Now... if you have an endless supply of barrels.. use it.

Peshawar
07-07-13, 16:51
If you read back a bit you'll find that gas port size,bolt carrier weight and buffer/spring weight all contribute to a proper cycling weapon.

To make it impossible, or at least difficult, to shoot Tula and it's variants all you need do is adjust those contributors so that there is enough movement in the system to operate using normal ammunition but not the underpowered ammo.

To test this all you need to do is either increase or decrease your buffer weight OR your buffer spring tension. (IE, switch from a normal buffer spring to a Sprinco blue or red) The loss of function is usually immediate and obvious.

Cheap ammo like UMC/PMC is fine.. it uses a copper jacketed bullet. The bi-metal stuff is a copper washed steel bullet. In tests it's been shown to markedly reduce barrel life.

Now... if you have an endless supply of barrels.. use it.

I understand what you mean about the contributing factors, but my question is why you would set a rifle up to NOT perform with a certain type of ammunition intentionally, stacking tolerances on purpose (heavier springs and buffer weights) to prevent reliable operation with lower powered ammo simply out of principle. Would that not also contribute to unreliable operation once the rifle was very dirty, even with normal ammo? It just seems strange to me to want to set the stage for potential problems. Maybe I'm just not understanding something, but I don't easily see the benefit of doing things that way. The cost of barrels pales in comparison to a large enough stockpile of ammo to wear out said barrels, so it's far more efficient economically to shoot cheap ammo if you can. That's why people use 5.45 uppers. Yes, it's a question of scale, and yes, I wouldn't shoot bimetal ammo out of a match grade stainless barrel, but if we're talking chrome lined HF barrels it's a lot cheaper to shoot out barrels than it is to feed a rifle a strict diet of Lake City. But again, I'm very teachable, and if there's a reason I'm all ears.

jaxman7
07-07-13, 19:58
If my rifle won't run the weakest commonly available ammo I can get then things change on the rifle. That being Tula or Bronze. These two are sort of my controls. If it won't run either then its time for the magnifying glass. Just like last weekend. Shot about 100 rounds of my reloads. Runs great as normal. Switched over to some Tula and I had 2 short strokes in about 40 rounds. Took the gun down and found out the gas rings were bad. Replaced the McFarlands w/new ones and all is right with the world again.

-Jax

The_Hammer_Man
07-07-13, 23:25
I'll make it simple as possible...

Bi-Metal projectiles = BAAAAAD for your barrel. Can reduce the service life of even top quality chrome lined barrels by as much as 50%. Several "torture tests" were run with Tula/Bear bi-metal ammo. The degradation of barrel performance was astonishing.

That said, for the average civilian shooter I usually do the, "if it can shoot Tula it can shoot anything", setup. You're right about cheap ammo stockpiling being more convenient to the end user than mil surp or factory.

My predominant customer base are LEO's.. they're, in some cases, required to only practice with certain ammo. The process is fairly simple in that I set up their uppers to run their duty ammo only. Yes, it will still function with other ammunition from other manufacturers but, it's set up to be as precise and reliable as possible with that particular departments ammo. This means that I "adjust" the entire system from muzzle device to buffer weight/spring rate to accommodate that ammo. Think of it as being a one trick pony if you like.

RMiller
07-08-13, 00:20
Let's not turn this into a steel case vs brass war. It's been proven that shooting steel for training can save enough money to buy a new barrel for the gun 3 times.

I shoot it, and would like my rifle to run on it when I do. Same deal with PMC bronze, and so on.

The_Hammer_Man
07-08-13, 16:20
Let's not turn this into a steel case vs brass war. It's been proven that shooting steel for training can save enough money to buy a new barrel for the gun 3 times.

I shoot it, and would like my rifle to run on it when I do. Same deal with PMC bronze, and so on.

Which brings things back to one of my previous comments... if you can afford to swap barrels on a regular basis... go for it.

If not then, avoid bi-metal projectile ammo like the plague.

RMiller
07-08-13, 18:35
She runs perfect! Had to go down to the A5H0, but it runs 100% with PMC Bronze.

http://i1051.photobucket.com/albums/s424/Rmillerm4/012_zps07c26cb3.jpg

jaxman7
07-08-13, 19:28
She runs perfect! Had to go down to the A5H0, but it runs 100% with PMC Bronze.

Alright RM. Walk me through it springs and all. We gotta figure out how to get you up to at LEAST an A5H2. :)

-Jax

RMiller
07-08-13, 20:31
Alright RM. Walk me through it springs and all. We gotta figure out how to get you up to at LEAST an A5H2. :)

-Jax

Not sure on the gas port. Should be .076.
BCM Standard BCG (gas rings are good)
Green springco spring.

The PMC will do an A5H2 but not 100% lock back. It will cycle 100%.

jaxman7
07-08-13, 21:00
Not sure on the gas port. Should be .076.
BCM Standard BCG (gas rings are good)
Green springco spring.

The PMC will do an A5H2 but not 100% lock back. It will cycle 100%.

Sounds like the only difference b/t yours and mine is polishing the rails, McFarland gas rings, and the LMT e-carrier. Although I do have the other rifle setup the exact same way minus the lmt e-carrier. I run a BCM BCG in that one and it runs great. My rifle that has the LMT e-carrier is down right now-squib in barrel + waiting on a new variable. If you'd like to try the LMT to see if it makes a difference I'd be glad to loan you mine.

-Jax

RMiller
07-08-13, 22:57
http://i1051.photobucket.com/albums/s424/Rmillerm4/009_zps652879fc.jpg

I do appreciate the offer, but I think I'm content with the way its running, UNLESS there is a REAL advantage to running the heavier buffer. Even with the -1 cases were gliding of the shell deflector, and with the -2 dinging them. You can tell from the pick above its ejecting about that 3:30-4 o'clock.

Recoil is still very manageable even with Federal XM193. There was a difference in recoil impule coming from the 16" middy to the 14.5" middy. For example shooting the 14.5 middy with the A5H0 feels the same as shooting the 16" middy with the A5H1.

Sounds like the only difference b/t yours and mine is polishing the rails, McFarland gas rings, and the LMT e-carrier. Although I do have the other rifle setup the exact same way minus the lmt e-carrier. I run a BCM BCG in that one and it runs great. My rifle that has the LMT e-carrier is down right now-squib in barrel + waiting on a new variable. If you'd like to try the LMT to see if it makes a difference I'd be glad to loan you mine.

-Jax