PDA

View Full Version : gun safe organization

AngryBeaver
07-01-13, 10:58
what do y'all do for organization in your gun safes? I've searched a couple different sites and haven't seen anything other than the standard door panels.

both of mine are packed, looking to upgrade soon, but this is what I have done to maximize space so far

http://i983.photobucket.com/albums/ae311/freakingstang/Guns/null_zpsc79821f8.jpg

jmnielsen
07-01-13, 11:03
I don't store ammo in my gun safe. I mean, I've got a few boxes and a few mags but everything else is store in ammo cams tucked away in a closet. It opened up plenty of space for me.

AngryBeaver
07-01-13, 11:05
I work long hours and sometimes travel. Living alone, I don't want ammo out in the open for fire or thieves..

dash1
07-01-13, 11:27
I don't store ammo in my gun safe. I mean, I've got a few boxes and a few mags but everything else is store in ammo cams tucked away in a closet. It opened up plenty of space for me.

Same here.

Moose-Knuckle
07-03-13, 15:43
They don't make a safe big enough for my ammo . . .

I'd have to buy one of those surplus Minute Man silos.

Airhasz
07-03-13, 18:36
I removed everything but the top shelve in my gun vault a couple of years ago and installed a Rifle Rod Kit. It is such a great upgrade as I doubled the long gun capacity and getting guns in and out of the vault is much easier.

NoveskeFan
07-03-13, 18:41
I understand you wanting to keep the ammo secure, but unless you're really good at Tetris, I don't think you'll open up much more room.

ETA: It might be expensive, but this company offers custom MOLLE panels:

http://www.wildebuilttactical.com/collections/molle-safe-panel/products/mollesafepanel

aguila327
07-03-13, 18:55
When I got my safe I converted my two old stackon rifle cabinets in ammo storage units. Not enough room for all my ammo but it helped make more space for better organization in the olde gun room.

I don't know you but from the sound of it you may need a few more;-)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

bzdog
07-03-13, 19:08
I have a small safe and maximize ammunition storage by storing it in magazines. Ammunition boxes waste a lot of space.

I'm not sure if it maximizes space, but I like these for handgun organization:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AWHLTYM

-john

DTakas
07-03-13, 21:27
- - - - -

bzdog
07-05-13, 09:36
Another thing I found useful was to put mags into Maxpedition Rollypollys. Like six or seven AR mags in a bag. Less loose stuff.

I tend to also attach a carabeiner to the Rollypolly as a "handle".

-john

SmithEC
07-05-13, 10:22
The safe in your pic would drive me nuts.

Ammo outside the safe for me. As soon as I get ammo, I unbox it into ammo cans and just rely on the weight of the cans to discourage theft.

No one makes a safe interior that suits me. I trashed mine and built two simple racks to give me what I need. Even using nice poplar, I must have spent maybe 30 bucks, which paid for such things as the saw and glue and whatever.

A key to happiness may be to only keep firearms that you will actually do something with.

This is a 25 CuFt Lincoln. Anything in this safe can come out in a hurry.

http://i324.photobucket.com/albums/k322/fortkn0x/safeMedium_zpsda696737.jpg

bzdog
07-05-13, 11:39
A key to happiness may be to only keep firearms that you will actually do something with.

Yah, I suppose that is a bit off topic, but I've also decided more isn't more, and simplified. I sold my random assortment of firearms and consolidated on only a couple. While I have a couple of copies, I only have PPQ and HK so only two handgun magazine types to stock. By consolidating to fewer firearms and types of firearms you gain efficiencies because it is easier to maintain enough of each type of magazine, spare parts and accessories, not to mention ammunition.

For example, if I have three handguns of the same type, each come with two mags, I only need to buy four more mags to have ten on-hand.

-john

anchor
07-05-13, 13:28
I like ur safe :smile:

dash1
07-05-13, 14:38
I agree with SmithEC and bzdog. I sold the guns that I never used, and haven't looked back. Less (junk) is more.

anchor
07-05-13, 14:42
I had to many like it this way.

mikeith
07-06-13, 10:45
I have a "24"gun" safe and am lucky to get 8 rifles, 4 pistols and a SHORT 22 sbr upper in there along with my nice spotting scope and rangefinder, NFA paperwork, and suppressors. You can forget getting any ammo/ mags in it! I'm going to build a large cabinet soon with doubled sheetrock(this is what gives safes their fire rating for those who don't know that) inside to store ammo, mags and other gear.

usmcvet
07-18-13, 11:55
The safe in your pic would drive me nuts.

Ammo outside the safe for me. As soon as I get ammo, I unbox it into ammo cans and just rely on the weight of the cans to discourage theft.

No one makes a safe interior that suits me. I trashed mine and built two simple racks to give me what I need. Even using nice poplar, I must have spent maybe 30 bucks, which paid for such things as the saw and glue and whatever.

This is a 25 CuFt Lincoln. Anything in this safe can come out in a hurry.

http://i324.photobucket.com/albums/k322/fortkn0x/safeMedium_zpsda696737.jpg

I like your set up. Well thought out. I have two SBR's and they live in the safe in bags with bandoleers, ready to go. I'm not taking a picture though because my safe is no where near as squared away. I need a second safe to seperate things, I have not gun stuff in my safe, important papers, a collection of knives and other stuff taking up important space.

I agree with SmithEC and bzdog. I sold the guns that I never used, and haven't looked back. Less (junk) is more.

I did that a few years ago. With my son getting into shooting now it's kinda funny when he says he wants something and I tell him I had one or two and sold them. I just started thinking about what I really liked, needed and used and got rid of quite a bit. Most of my fancy stuff went along with some junk. I consolidate calibers too.