PDA

View Full Version : Hang fires

JimmyB62
07-01-13, 16:23
I loaded up some 9mm loads and experienced quite a few hang fires. There wasn't much delay; just a click, bang really. Any idea what the mechanics are? The primer pockets were very loose so my guess is that the primers moved and got "reseated" by the striker. The rounds all checked fine in my Wilson cartridge gauge as well as the actual chamber. Why this caused hang fires instead of strictly misfires has me curious. For the record I did have some misfires.

I shoot a lot of 9mm so I usually buy it in quanity instead of trying to load that much. These loads were just to address an infestation of raccoons (of biblical proportions).

Glock 17
Speer once-fired
WSP
6.5 gr Power Pistol
Hornady 90 gr XTP
1.070 COAL
Taper crimp to .378 (very light)

Airhasz
07-01-13, 17:50
I loaded up some 9mm loads and experienced quite a few hang fires. There wasn't much delay; just a click, bang really. Any idea what the mechanics are? The primer pockets were very loose so my guess is that the primers moved and got "reseated" by the striker. The rounds all checked fine in my Wilson cartridge gauge as well as the actual chamber. Why this caused hang fires instead of strictly misfires has me curious. For the record I did have some misfires.

I shoot a lot of 9mm so I usually buy it in quanity instead of trying to load that much. These loads were just to address an infestation of raccoons (of biblical proportions).
Glock 17
Speer once-fired
WSP
6.5 gr Power Pistol
Hornady 90 gr XTP
1.070 COAL
Taper crimp to .378 (very light)

I'd try different primers to rule them out first.

Maineshooter
07-01-13, 20:53
I have never had it happen, but I have heard that they can be caused by light loads, primers not fully seated and also tumbling media stuck in the flash holes. If you are having a bunch of them, I doubt it's tumbling media.

I would double check your powder measure to ensure that it is actually throwing the charge it is supposed to be AND check your scale. I had an issue with a scale once that would have caused me major problems if I hand't caught it in time.

My bet is on the the primers, assuming the powder is in good condition. If the powder deteriorates (which takes LONG time if no moisture is present) that can cause ignition issues.

JimmyB62
07-02-13, 03:18
Thanks guys. Just curious about what causes a primer to hang instead of failing completely really. I'm pretty sure it happened because of the loose pockets since the primers work fine everywhere else. Very light loads/small powder charges makes sense although in my case 6.5 gr PP Fills the case pretty full.

To satisfy my curiosity I'm going to load everything the same but use different cases to see what happens.

RearwardAssist
07-02-13, 10:27
6.5 Grains is a good load of power pistol, so I don't think that is the issue. I would have to assume the primers are the issue as well. You said they worked in other loads, have they been compromised with moisture?