PDA

View Full Version : AR-15 KABOOM....

MassMark
04-10-08, 08:07
If this KB is truly the fault of the ammo, then I feel bad for HSM - they seem like a good outfit. They have been doing a lot of group buys across the Internet and perhaps this indicates a slip in QC, (too big too fast). I have used their 7.62x51 and found it to be excellent, but this shooter clearly had a bad day....

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=354740

markm
04-10-08, 08:40
The author of that thread evidently doesn't know that you can't "double charge" a rifle load. I'm assuming he means an over charge of propellant.

MassMark
04-10-08, 08:55
The author of that thread evidently doesn't know that you can't "double charge" a rifle load. I'm assuming he means an over charge of propellant.

It's funny you picked up on that, as I just reread the thread and came back to pose that question. Not being a reloader, I still got a puzzled look and said to myself: "double charge??"

markm
04-10-08, 08:59
Yeah. A pistol charge like .45 acp can easily be doubled. I almost did it once. :(

But with rifle, the correct charge fills nearly the whole case. I've gotten to where I visually check every powder charge I load before I put a bullet on top of it.

davechng
04-10-08, 10:17
thats right espeically on the 5.56 cartridge ! there is no way you can double charge it since your 1st charge is already almost 3/4 fill or more dedpending on the type of powder and bullet selection.

maybe a old weak, fatique brass that cause that!

DAveC

ToddG
04-10-08, 10:25
I didn't read the linked thread, but presumably this means the rumored Glock Carbine has hit the market?
:p

markm
04-10-08, 11:21
maybe a old weak, fatique brass that cause that!

I wouldn't think so. Typically the case will separate or the neck will split. I've had it happen a few times, and it didn't cause any signs of over pressure.

Severian
04-10-08, 11:25
blank

Failure2Stop
04-10-08, 11:28
I didn't read the linked thread, but presumably this means the rumored Glock Carbine has hit the market?
:p

lol :eek:

Shihan
04-10-08, 14:51
HSM is having some major problems. they lost a big chunk of their staff when Darren went off to form his own company including the good people. HSM also had a bad batch of ammo go out that should have been recalled but wasnt. I dont see them being along for long if some things dont change really quick.

Paulinski
04-10-08, 14:52
Looks like case failure.

Crap took care of that carrier pretty good :(