PDA

View Full Version : M&P front sight dovetail issue?

RWK
07-01-13, 20:58
I installed Ameriglo front sights on a M&P 9 and 9c. After installation, each sight was able to be moved out of the dovetail by finger pressure. Anyone else ever have issues with the front dovetails or Ameriglo front sights?

rathos
07-01-13, 21:16
I have heard of this before, just contact ameriglo and get new ones. Were they tough to get in?

RWK
07-02-13, 10:58
I have heard of this before, just contact ameriglo and get new ones. Were they tough to get in?

The rear sights were a mother!@#$%^ to install. The fronts were the opposite.

RWK
07-02-13, 10:59
Oh, and the weird thing is that the sights on my M&P 45c are just fine. No issues.

GLOCKMASTER
07-02-13, 12:38
Robert at my previous agency we had this same problem with some of the M&P's.

bulbvivid
07-02-13, 14:04
Same for me on an FS9. Front seemed fine upon initial installation and shooting. Go to shoot a match and everything went wrong. Checked the gun at home and just slid the front sight out.

I contacted Ameriglo for a replacement that I've had no problems with.

RWK
07-02-13, 14:11
Robert at my previous agency we had this same problem with some of the M&P's.

With Ameriglo sights, or other? I'm trying to get a sense of whether or not it'll be a call to S&W or Ameriglo.

RWK
07-02-13, 14:15
Same for me on an FS9. Front seemed fine upon initial installation and shooting. Go to shoot a match and everything went wrong. Checked the gun at home and just slid the front sight out.

It was noticeable right away with my M&P9. The M&P9c apparently worked its way loose. I was op-checking it a couple of days ago and was able to move the front sight with finger pressure.

I contacted Ameriglo for a replacement that I've had no problems with.

Did Ameriglo offer any explanation, i.e. is it an issue known to them?

bulbvivid
07-02-13, 14:39
Did Ameriglo offer any explanation, i.e. is it an issue known to them?

It's been a while back, but I don't remember any concrete explanation beyond that it just happens sometimes. They just sent me a new front sight without many questions asked.

Pappabear
07-02-13, 21:30
I had some installed and the gunsmith was taking a a couple thousands off and tapping it in. He didnt want too much pressure getting it in. He felt people beat the shit out of their guns and it stresses the steal out and things go south.

I wanted it more difficult to get in. He had to tap it in with a punch and said, oh this isn't going anywhere. It was firm with finesse.

I trust him. I would interested in what Rob Jensen or other such competent guys think about my guys approach.

CoryCop25
07-02-13, 21:41
Ameriglos generally run wider than most other brands. Mistakes can be made but in my experience, the fitting of M&P fronts with Ameriglo sights have been rather tight. I am not a fan of filing of sights but I had to a few times with Ameriglo M&P sights. I am not a fan of installing sights on M&Ps. I have done it with both brass punches and sight pushers.

PD Sgt.
07-02-13, 22:03
I had a similar issue with a .45 Compact. Using a sight pusher, it bent the front blade before it was even close to centered. Ameriglo replaced it with no problems, and the new one went in without any problem and has been as solid as a rock ever since.

I was told at armorer's class as well as from some of the sales guys that Smith has had issues with out of spec dovetails, especially in early runs, but I do not know if that is still a problem problem or not. I have noted in my experience anecdotally that Ameriglo seems to have more inconsistent fit than other brands, but I have no hard and fast numbers to show.

Wildcat
07-02-13, 22:16
My factory front sight wasn't especially tight. It won't move by leaning on it but after shooting several matches with it, the front sight became obviously left of center.
Centering it back up took very little effort with a drift and light hammer.
I went through that cycle a few times to confirm it was the gun and I hadn't banged it on anything.

opngrnd
07-03-13, 07:47
I'm given to the understanding that the front dovetail dimension's have been a bit inconsistant over different production runs. 10-8 Performance noted some time ago that the dovetails were getting bigger than the base of the front sights that they had been selling up to that point.
Here's a quote from 10-8's website, on the M&P Front Sight Page:

***DUE TO THE WIDE VARIATION IN M&P DOVETAIL SIZES, OUR SIGHTS ARE OVERSIZED AND WILL REQUIRE SOME FITTING. The sights are finished in black salt bath nitrocarburizing, which produces a hard surface finish similar to the factory slide, and will not respond to a normal file. We suggest using a diamond hone or file. If you are not familiar with how to properly fit and install a dovetail sight, we suggest that you seek the services of a *qualified* gunsmith. We are not liable for damage to the sights resulting from improper installation.

I've installed a half dozen of the rear sights from 10-8, and have fit them so that finger pressure is not enough, but that it doesn't take too much pressure tapping with a delrin rod and a hammer. I get it to where the rear sight will go about halfway into the dovetail with strong finger pressure, and tap it the rest of the way. Hope this helps.