PDA

View Full Version : Del-ton improvement build

cowens677
07-01-13, 21:35
Ok I bought a del-ton because of the scare and it was a impulse buy because the price was right (750). But I must say 500 rounds of a variety of ammo and not one hiccup so no complaints really. Since I did not spend much I got to do the mods I wanted to do.
I added a geissele sd-e trigger, ambi safety since I am a south paw, magpul ctr and MIAD grip, a fail-zero bcg, and then finally a troy 13 alpha rail. Now I am saving up for a 1-4x24 optic especially since I shaved my front sight down

Alpine2k3
07-01-13, 23:03
Nice little rifle you have there. Whats the twist rate on it?

cowens677
07-01-13, 23:10
It is 1/9 twist non chrome lined, that is why I was thinking about upgrading the barrel too someday. But with iron sights at fifty yards I had nice two inch groups, it should be a lot better once I get an optic.

Alpine2k3
07-01-13, 23:49
I would upgrade it as well but that can probably wait a bit. Just go out and shoot it :)

cowens677
07-01-13, 23:53
I would upgrade it as well but that can probably wait a bit. Just go out and shoot it :)

That's what I was think'n

T2C
07-02-13, 10:21
I would shoot the rifle until the barrel needs replaced. As long as everything is working correctly, I would spend the money on ammunition.

cowens677
07-02-13, 12:51
I would shoot the rifle until the barrel needs replaced. As long as everything is working correctly, I would spend the money on ammunition.

Exactly, if I had accuracy issues then maybe I would feel differently.

jaxman7
07-02-13, 14:46
I would at the least before you buy anything else is get a quality bolt and make sure the gas key screws are properly staked. The castle nut as well.

What is under the extractor? Blue or black insert? Does the fsb have taper or straight pins? Just curious. Had a del-ton once. First trip to the range I had to mortar the gun. Not saying yours is like that but most rifles (even ones that guys on here don't recommend) run fine at first.

Like I said at the least make sure the gas key and castle nut are staked properly and I'd get a quality bolt. Also make sure the barrel nut is torqued down to the proper range of 30-80 ft. lbs.

-Jax

I am assuming this is a carbine gas gun. Definitely wouldn't hurt to get a blue springco spring and an H2 or even an H3 buffer.

cowens677
07-02-13, 16:09
I would at the least before you buy anything else is get a quality bolt and make sure the gas key screws are properly staked. The castle nut as well.

What is under the extractor? Blue or black insert? Does the fsb have taper or straight pins? Just curious. Had a del-ton once. First trip to the range I had to mortar the gun. Not saying yours is like that but most rifles (even ones that guys on here don't recommend) run fine at first.

Like I said at the least make sure the gas key and castle nut are staked properly and I'd get a quality bolt. Also make sure the barrel nut is torqued down to the proper range of 30-80 ft. lbs.

-Jax

I am assuming this is a carbine gas gun. Definitely wouldn't hurt to get a blue springco spring and an H2 or even an H3 buffer.

The bolt carrier group is quality because I bought the fail-zero bcg. I heard the could be an issue with del-tons that bcg are sub par so I replaced it with the fail-zero nickel boron bcg about a month ago. My front sight pins are tapered and will keep an eye on them.
What is the benefit of running H2 or even H3 buffer that you have suggested and will it be a big improvement over stock?

jaxman7
07-02-13, 17:04
The heavier buffer will make the gun less 'snappy' when shooting. Keeping it a little flatter and should reduce wear on the bolt carrier group by slowing down the cycling velocity. Good on you for buying the FZ BCG. Been wanting to try one of those out myself.

My old del-ton upper cycled so fast (b/c it was so overgassed) with certain ammo that it wouldn't pick up the round in the mag at times. If I'd known back then what I know now I would've put a heavier buffer in it to slow things down a bit.

-Jax

jlw
07-02-13, 17:17
Nice looking rifle. I had a Del-ton rifle kit build at one time, and while it didn't have the "cool factor" of some of the other brands it served me well it the shooting that I did with it. It appears you have made some very nice upgrades.

cowens677
07-02-13, 17:52
The heavier buffer will make the gun less 'snappy' when shooting. Keeping it a little flatter and should reduce wear on the bolt carrier group by slowing down the cycling velocity. Good on you for buying the FZ BCG. Been wanting to try one of those out myself.

My old del-ton upper cycled so fast (b/c it was so overgassed) with certain ammo that it wouldn't pick up the round in the mag at times. If I'd known back then what I know now I would've put a heavier buffer in it to slow things down a bit.

-Jax

Thanks Jax for the information i will have to research that more. Like I said in my first post I have ran 500 rounds through it so far and have not had any problem, it has ran like a race horse. Time will tell how the del-ton holds up but from what I have read recently it seems that most owners have been pretty happy with them.

Thanks jlw, ya I am pretty happy how it looks, feels and shoots now. I want to sign up for a carbine class this next year to hone my skills so that will really test her out. This is my first ar15 but definitely not my last.

jaxman7
07-02-13, 18:29
Your welcome. I bought my del-ton upper 5 years ago and honestly it was crap. Not going to become a spokesman for them but from what I read they have stepped up their quality as of late. Hope you have a good one.

-Jax

chadil1ac
07-03-13, 09:38
I'm trying to figure out his this constitutes a build?

TxRaptor
07-03-13, 12:24
I bought a Del-ton AR kit a couple years ago. I built it on a JD stripped lower I also picked up for a great deal. Everything has held up great for about 2K rounds so far. I just read the thread about cam pin wear so I'll be replacing that ASAP, but it has eaten up every type of ammo I've put through it including about 1K of Wolf Military Classic. Rifle is way over gassed though (consistent hard eject to 5 o'clock).

I also have the 16in non-chrome lined 1/9 twist Del-ton barrel. I bought everything before becoming more educated on quality. It still holds great groupings and I'm sure its more end user error than the quality of barrel. No complaints on my end but as well all know, there are better choices out there. Just tough to find them especially in CA these days.

zeusturtle
07-13-13, 17:19
Ok I bought a del-ton because of the scare and it was a impulse buy because the price was right (750). But I must say 500 rounds of a variety of ammo and not one hiccup so no complaints really. Since I did not spend much I got to do the mods I wanted to do.
I added a geissele sd-e trigger, ambi safety since I am a south paw, magpul ctr and MIAD grip, a fail-zero bcg, and then finally a troy 13 alpha rail. Now I am saving up for a 1-4x24 optic especially since I shaved my front sight down

Did you end up shaving the front site down yourself or did you have it professionally done? At the moment, I too have a delton that I'm looking at replacing a few "quality" components... some being the rail system and bcg, which are insanely hard to find atm (all for quality of life improvements while I wait for my Noveske to come in :))))))))) )

Nice rifle though, and glad to hear that it's working out well for you!

cowens677
07-13-13, 18:02
Did you end up shaving the front site down yourself or did you have it professionally done? At the moment, I too have a delton that I'm looking at replacing a few "quality" components... some being the rail system and bcg, which are insanely hard to find atm (all for quality of life improvements while I wait for my Noveske to come in :))))))))) )

Nice rifle though, and glad to hear that it's working out well for you!

Yes I did shave the front sight post down. It is very easy to do with a angle grinder and a Dremel tool, if you watch a few YouTube videos on how to do it you will have no problem. You really have to shave it down to make it fit and just buy the bluing agent to finish it up it is better than painting it black.
I would like to get either a noveske or a Larue for my next rifle also but I will order one of those and not modify them. It's a lot easier to modify a $700 than it is a $2000, I would feel bad grinding on a Larue.

RMiller
07-13-13, 19:20
Honestly if you are just using this for a range gun. Keep it the way it is and shoot it. Maybe stake the reciever extension nut.

If you plan to use it for anything like home defense, disaster, etc where anybody's life would depend on it...... Sell it and put the funds towards a colt or BCM carbine.

If upgrading this rifle you'll have money into a new bolt, a new barrel, and a few other things here and there plus whatever you purchased it for.

cowens677
07-13-13, 20:34
Honestly if you are just using this for a range gun. Keep it the way it is and shoot it. Maybe stake the reciever extension nut.

If you plan to use it for anything like home defense, disaster, etc where anybody's life would depend on it...... Sell it and put the funds towards a colt or BCM carbine.

If upgrading this rifle you'll have money into a new bolt, a new barrel, and a few other things here and there plus whatever you purchased it for.

I put another 500 rounds through this gun since the first post and I still hasn't had a failure to feed or any other common ar15 malfunction. I would bet my life on this carbine any day of the week! But you are right if you find a bcm or colt that you like in its stock configuration at 1200.00 or so dollars then it is probably better to sell and buy one of those because the name is more desirable and it would resale for more.
I have added geisele trigger, failzero bcg, a troy alpha rail that I wanted, magpul furniture, kac sights, and a bunch of mags for about the same price.
My next ar15 will be a "top tier" company ar but I do not think it will be any more dependable than the one I already got. In fact there is a guy on here right now with a bcm with failure to feed issues, my del-ton would win that gun battle! :D

Gatorshark
07-13-13, 21:00

Wisdom

RMiller
07-13-13, 21:03
That BCM was a failure to extract and is still pending as to what the cause is. Some suspect its a tight chamber. The problem arises when ammo other than federal 5.56 is used.

I'm not knockin your purchase or trying to insult you. You asked for an opinion on how to upgrade your rifle. I gave it.

I wouldn't put 100% faith into a carbine until its ran through high round count professional course/class.

But there are certain aspects that make a trustworthy carbine. Proper chrome lining, staking, and materials are part of it.

I put another 500 rounds through this gun since the first post and I still hasn't had a failure to feed or any other common ar15 malfunction. I would bet my life on this carbine any day of the week! But you are right if you find a bcm or colt that you like in its stock configuration at 1200.00 or so dollars then it is probably better to sell and buy one of those because the name is more desirable and it would resale for more.
I have added geisele trigger, failzero bcg, a troy alpha rail that I wanted, magpul furniture, kac sights, and a bunch of mags for about the same price.
My next ar15 will be a "top tier" company ar but I do not think it will be any more dependable than the one I already got. In fact there is a guy on here right now with a bcm with failure to feed issues, my del-ton would win that gun battle! :D