PDA

View Full Version : Picking my first AR

Bang4Buck
07-02-13, 08:12
I've done a bit of reading to get educated before buying an AR. I just got my first ever handgun a couple months ago, already picked out my first shotgun which I should have in a couple weeks. Neither of these purchases can begin to compare with how much there is to know before buying an AR. I'm overwhelmed :confused:

Based on what I've read, I'm just going to stick with Colt. I know I may be paying a bit of a premium for the name, but I am hoping it will hold its value better and I'm not about to try to pick a lower and upper and put those together. Much less buy a brand with potential QC issues that I'm not qualified to fix.

My AR will be used for self defense and fun at the range. I have already looked in to several places that provide AR training, so I will make sure that is budgeted for, as it is even more important than selecting the appropriate firearm.

With that said, what route should I go? Just buy a new LE6920 and EOTech and be done with it? Or do I save a little more money and then buy a LE6920 SOCOM or a LE6940? I can't tell much of a difference between them (besides the rail) and I'm not even sure what I'd use the rail for. I doubt I'll be using it to launch grenades :D

While many of you have multiple ARs, I plan on buying one and sticking with it for a while, so I'd just assume get a nice one the first time around rather than kick myself 6 months later.

Thanks

skijunkie55
07-02-13, 08:25
I've done a bit of reading to get educated before buying an AR. I just got my first ever handgun a couple months ago, already picked out my first shotgun which I should have in a couple weeks. Neither of these purchases can begin to compare with how much there is to know before buying an AR. I'm overwhelmed :confused:

Based on what I've read, I'm just going to stick with Colt. I know I may be paying a bit of a premium for the name, but I am hoping it will hold its value better and I'm not about to try to pick a lower and upper and put those together. Much less buy a brand with potential QC issues that I'm not qualified to fix.

My AR will be used for self defense and fun at the range. I have already looked in to several places that provide AR training, so I will make sure that is budgeted for, as it is even more important than selecting the appropriate firearm.

With that said, what route should I go? Just buy a new LE6920 and EOTech and be done with it? Or do I save a little more money and then buy a LE6920 SOCOM or a LE6940? I can't tell much of a difference between them (besides the rail) and I'm not even sure what I'd use the rail for. I doubt I'll be using it to launch grenades :D

While many of you have multiple ARs, I plan on buying one and sticking with it for a while, so I'd just assume get a nice one the first time around rather than kick myself 6 months later.

Thanks

I think the general consensus of this forum will be as follows:

Keep it simple with the Colt. LE6920 with the Magpul MOE furniture will suit you just fine for your intended uses.
See below
http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/COLE6920MP-B.aspx

Invest in an Aimpoint over the Eotech, get a good sling, light, and quality ammo.

And like you already mentioned, training!

And welcome :)

ColtM4Carbine
07-02-13, 08:37
I recently purchased my first AR and bought the Colt LE 6920. I was lucky enough to find a model that had its receivers anodized in OD Green. I absolutely love the weapon so far and have done quite a bit of customizing to it. I'm a lefty shooter so I have added ambidextrous parts. (Charging handle, mag release, safety selector) As well as a few other parts that are highly reccomended. (Magpul BAD lever, BattleComp 1.0) The purpose of my firearm was also for home self defense and to have some fun at the range. I ended up choosing EOTech over Aimpoint because I felt the reticle was better for a home self defense situation. If my firearm was strictly for range shooting, I would have chose an Aimpoint over EOTech or maybe even a Trijicon ACOG.

You can't go wrong with a Colt, good luck!

lethal dose
07-02-13, 09:04
You are on the right track. Colt is THE standard to which all AR manufacturers are measured. Some exceed those standards, others fall short. To reiterate: gun, sling, light, ammo, training. A quality RDS is certainly an asset, but an optional one. I suggest aimpoint, if considering one. Check in often. Seems that you are one of the few who have actually read the threads here at m4c.

Bang4Buck
07-02-13, 09:19
You are on the right track. Colt is THE standard to which all AR manufacturers are measured. Some exceed those standards, others fall short. To reiterate: gun, sling, light, ammo, training. A quality RDS is certainly an asset, but an optional one. I suggest aimpoint, if considering one. Check in often. Seems that you are one of the few who have actually read the threads here at m4c.

I try to do my homework before making a major purchase. Nothing worse than buyers remorse.

A guy on an automotive forum in the Dallas area actually turned me on to this place. I actually read a lot of the FAQs and stickys here and that has helped, but there is a ton to know, and I'm a newbie. I know enough to know I don't know that much, which is more than some people clearly know! :p

I figure I can't go wrong with the Colt. I just want to make sure I buy the correct model and accessories the first time around.

When I first started to consider an AR, I thought: "Bushmaster seems like a safe choice!" Holy crap did I almost make a mistake! After doing some reading, I give the Bushmaster marketing people kudos. They must have all worked at McDonald's to have brainwashed people in to thinking they make a real AR. Bushmaster sounds like an adult film from the 70s to me now. :cool:

lethal dose
07-02-13, 09:22
Haha. Great analogy. Honestly, the 6920 is hard to beat. There are other options if you prefer a lighter barrel, etc. but, personally, I find the 6920 to be the AR that most people need.

RMiller
07-02-13, 09:34
For the price, a base colt from Wally World is hard to beat. $1099 IIRC.

Next in line is BCM and Daniel Defense.

For home defense an Aimpoint is a better choice. You can always leave it on, and that battery will last you years ( most change the battery yearly or bi-yearly as a precaution). As far as Aimpoints go, an Aimpoint PRO is a good value.

If you insist on a on EOTech, I recommend sticking with the newer XPS series. I've had problems with the older models, but hadn't had a lick of trouble out of the EXPS2-0 I had. The only down side was battery life (Nowhere near the battery life of an EoTech, but better than most will claim).

Add a white light eventually and a good sling. You'll have a solid carbine.

Then go out and shoot the SOB. Take a training class. Skill>Gear

Bang4Buck
07-02-13, 09:39
Haha. Great analogy. Honestly, the 6920 is hard to beat. There are other options if you prefer a lighter barrel, etc. but, personally, I find the 6920 to be the AR that most people need.

Colt seems like the safe choice.

On another related note, what do you guys shoot for ammo? In my research, it appears you can shoot .223 Rem which is cheaper, but these rifles are designed for 5.56 x 45 mm NATO which obviously costs more. Do you guys shoot either one? Or have one you use for the range and another for home defense?

When I look on gunbot.net and run a search, many of them act like they are the same, which they are clearly not. Any thoughts on this and what ammo manufacturers are the ones to stick with?

MistWolf
07-02-13, 09:41
For a Colt, my two choices would be either the 6920 or the 6721. Myself, I don't need, nor do I want, a quad rail. For my purposes, a railless free float tube or MOE handguard serves fine. Between the two Colts, the 6721 would be my first choice as I don't care for the M4 profile barrel of the 6920- a personal preference.

For an RDS, I like the Aimpoint H1 Micro.

Another option is to get a BCM from Grant at G&R Tactical and configure it with the furniture of your choice. I would not hesitate to buy this rifle
http://www.gandrtactical.com/PDGImages/Complete_Rifle4.jpg

They are currently in stock
http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=MID-750-C

Army Chief
07-02-13, 09:44
A quick word about this notion of "paying a premium for the name." I know this gets repeated quite often, and I still hear it frequently when folks talk about things like better-quality 1911s. In the AR world, Colt remains the baseline by which all others are measured.

That's not to say that you cannot buy a rifle that equals or even surpasses Colt in the quality department if you are willing to spend the money, but when we're taking about production-grade hardware, this is still Hartford's game to lose. What a Colt costs is effectively what a quality service-grade AR costs. Period. Anyone who offers to sell you something similar for considerably less money is doing so at the expense of parts quality, competent assembly or functional reliability. There are no free lunches.

You aren't paying for the name. You are paying for a rifle that is made from the best parts available by people who just happen to exactly know what they are doing.

AC

Bang4Buck
07-02-13, 09:47
For a Colt, my two choices would be either the 6920 or the 6721. Myself, I don't need, nor do I want, a quad rail. For my purposes, a railless free float tube or MOE handguard serves fine. Between the two Colts, the 6721 would be my first choice as I don't care for the M4 profile barrel of the 6920- a personal preference.

For an RDS, I like the Aimpoint H1 Micro.

Another option is to get a BCM from Grant at G&R Tactical and configure it with the furniture of your choice. I would not hesitate to buy this rifle
http://www.gandrtactical.com/PDGImages/Complete_Rifle4.jpg

They are currently in stock
http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=MID-750-C

The 6721 has a 1 to 9 twist. From what I read, 1 to 7 is the holy grail of twist. Keep in mind I'm a newbie, so I could be confused on how important 1 to 7 twist really is.

Army Chief
07-02-13, 09:51
1:7 will stabilize a heavier bullet, so if you're inclined to shoot specialty loads, or something other than the usual 55 grain range fodder, this may be a consideration. For most, 1:9 will more than meet the need.

AC

QuackXP
07-02-13, 13:39
When I was researching in 2011/2012 I was looking at all kind of railed setups and even monolithic uppers. I decided to save my cash upfront and get the basic Colt 6920 and if I need a rail later on to choose from one of the many options out there.

Right now as a basic defense and range firearm I see no reason to upgrade the stock hand guards.

Get the Colt, swap out the sling and learn the basics with the irons (you might need therm someday even if you plan on goign with an optic), get an optic (unless you really like the irons) and take a class. From there you should have a good idea how you may want to setup your rifle. Add a white light and your GTG for home defense. There are a good number of ways to attach a white light to a rifle with stock hand-guards so I would not buy a rail just to attach a light.

Bang4Buck
07-02-13, 13:43
Anyone else feel the Magpul furniture mentioned above is worth it? The cost for that AR isn't much more than a stock 6920, which makes me think it might be worth doing up front rather than paying for later.

ColtM4Carbine
07-02-13, 13:49
Anyone else feel the Magpul furniture mentioned above is worth it? The cost for that AR isn't much more than a stock 6920, which makes me think it might be worth doing up front rather than paying for later.

I would have purchased my 6920 without the Magpul furniture if I could have found one since I replaced all the Magpul gear with different Magpul equipment. If you plan on putting that stuff on anyway I would reccomend getting the 6920 Magpul edition.

bulbvivid
07-02-13, 14:17
Here is another option that could save you some money on taxes: LMT Defender Lower at Rainier (http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=124) + BCM BFH 16" Mid at BravoComanyUSA (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-BFH-16-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-mid-16%20bfh.htm)

MistWolf
07-02-13, 14:17
The 6721 has a 1 to 9 twist. From what I read, 1 to 7 is the holy grail of twist. Keep in mind I'm a newbie, so I could be confused on how important 1 to 7 twist really is.

That's what I get for not doing complete research. I didn't realize the 6721 has a 1:9. But, as Army Chief pointed out, many folks get by with that twist just fine. I had a 20" Colt with a 1:9 and it was very accurate and bullet lengths with weights up to 69 gr, but the longer barrel has a bit more velocity which translates into higher bullet RPM. I'm currently using a 20" & 16" barrel with a 1:8 and both shoot fine. For a carbine length AR, I would favor 1:7 or 1:8 over 1:9 for a bit more versatility

Bang4Buck
07-02-13, 14:37
That's what I get for not doing complete research. I didn't realize the 6721 has a 1:9. But, as Army Chief pointed out, many folks get by with that twist just fine. I had a 20" Colt with a 1:9 and it was very accurate and bullet lengths with weights up to 69 gr, but the longer barrel has a bit more velocity which translates into higher bullet RPM. I'm currently using a 20" & 16" barrel with a 1:8 and both shoot fine. For a carbine length AR, I would favor 1:7 or 1:8 over 1:9 for a bit more versatility

I will definitely stick with 1:7 since that is the benchmark. I may not need it, but I'm betting if I sell down the road to an educated buyer, I get a premium for sticking with 1:7.

Tarheel55
07-02-13, 14:47
I agree with the BCM Middy above and customize to you needs. What I did for my first AR was a Aero Lower, BCM Upper, ACT Trigger, and LPK from White Oak

Lots of Good Options

Wake27
07-02-13, 15:01

Thanks

My preference would be to avoid the 6940. I THINK the upper and rail are one piece which severely limits your possibilities for changing it in the future, even more so with the front sight.

I recently purchased my first AR and bought the Colt LE 6920. I was lucky enough to find a model that had its receivers anodized in OD Green. I absolutely love the weapon so far and have done quite a bit of customizing to it. I'm a lefty shooter so I have added ambidextrous parts. (Charging handle, mag release, safety selector) As well as a few other parts that are highly reccomended. (Magpul BAD lever, BattleComp 1.0) The purpose of my firearm was also for home self defense and to have some fun at the range. I ended up choosing EOTech over Aimpoint because I felt the reticle was better for a home self defense situation. If my firearm was strictly for range shooting, I would have chose an Aimpoint over EOTech or maybe even a Trijicon ACOG.

You can't go wrong with a Colt, good luck!

I'd say that your reasoning on the sights have some valid points, but also some flaws. I too prefer the reticle of the EOTech as it is very fast, but want an Aimpoint on an HD weapon because of its always-on capability and battery life. Also, I'd take an EOTech over the Aimpoint when on the range as the center dot is half the size of the smallest Aimpoint reticle (1 MOA vs 2) and there are ways to estimate holds with the EOTech (Kyle Defoor had a blog on this IIRC). They both have their ups and downs, obviously.

Almost all Magpul gear is awesome. Cheap price but durable and very functional. Get the Magpul edition, the handguard feels so much more ergonomic and its almost as easy to attach stuff to as a quad rail without the weight or price.

I will definitely stick with 1:7 since that is the benchmark. I may not need it, but I'm betting if I sell down the road to an educated buyer, I get a premium for sticking with 1:7.

My preference as well. Its just easier.

Wake27
07-02-13, 15:09
Oops. Uncontrolled pair.

Bang4Buck
07-02-13, 15:15
I agree with the BCM Middy above and customize to you needs. What I did for my first AR was a Aero Lower, BCM Upper, ACT Trigger, and LPK from White Oak

Lots of Good Options

I hear you but based on what I read, Colt + Colt = COLT!

If I was going to go with anything else, BCM comes as close as anyone to Colt as far as meeting quality standards based on what I have read so far. I don't care if I'm a poser ;) I'd rather be a poser with a high quality firearm than a guy with a unique whatchamacallit with buyer's remorse. :sarcastic:

Now with that being said, I think furniture from someone like Magpul can be changed as mentioned above without any kind of quality concerns, but I'm quite convinced I will stick with Colt for every critical part. Cost be damned.

Your setup may be fantastic, but I'm not educated enough to know what upper + lower will result in something as good as Colt. So, I'll be a brand whore and stick with the sure thing.

Wake27
07-02-13, 15:25
I hear you but based on what I read, Colt + Colt = COLT!

If I was going to go with anything else, BCM comes as close as anyone to Colt as far as meeting quality standards based on what I have read so far. I don't care if I'm a poser ;) I'd rather be a poser with a high quality firearm than a guy with a unique whatchamacallit with buyer's remorse. :sarcastic:

Now with that being said, I think furniture from someone like Magpul can be changed as mentioned above without any kind of quality concerns, but I'm quite convinced I will stick with Colt for every critical part. Cost be damned.

Your setup may be fantastic, but I'm not educated enough to know what upper + lower will result in something as good as Colt. So, I'll be a brand whore and stick with the sure thing.

You definitely wouldn't be disappointed with a BCM, but it'll likely cost you a little more.

fdxpilot
07-02-13, 15:30

We went off track here when Mistwolf accidentally used the wrong number. I'm pretty sure he meant the 6720, which has a lightweight 1:7 barrel, and when I bought mine, a Matech Iron rear sight (military issue.) The 6721 is an HBAR 1:9 variant.

http://www.colt.com/ColtLawEnforcement/Products/ColtTacticalCarbine.aspx

chungdae
07-02-13, 15:33
This forum is a blessing. It has tons of information from professional shooters to the amateur shooters.

Colt set the standard and they are mighty fine weapons. Take your time and do your research!

MistWolf
07-02-13, 16:35
We went off track here when Mistwolf accidentally used the wrong number. I'm pretty sure he meant the 6720, which has a lightweight 1:7 barrel, and when I bought mine, a Matech Iron rear sight (military issue.) The 6721 is an HBAR 1:9 variant.

http://www.colt.com/ColtLawEnforcement/Products/ColtTacticalCarbine.aspx

That's where I took a wrong turn. I was talking about the lightweight barrel version
http://www.gandrtactical.com/PDGImages/6720.jpg
http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=6720

ennbeegunny15
07-02-13, 17:48
Get the colt. Then look into bcm for your second....because one just isn't enough.

duece71
07-02-13, 18:56
Looks like Grant also has the Daniel Defense V5 in stock......for your second AR ;)
http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=8047-NS

SilverBullet432
07-02-13, 19:44
i went with a daniel defense for my first AR. had all the nice features i was looking for. i do have a cousin whose getting the 6920 MOE. In my opinion. you simply cant go wrong with a 6920, comes with all the basic things you need. minus training, ammo, sling and light.. perfect platform to start off with! forget the cheap sportical, dont even let one cross your mind (unless on a supertight budget) colt will be just fine!!! :) reason i got the DD though, i had done more research on them first.

3 AE
07-02-13, 21:00
Looks like Grant also has the Daniel Defense V5 in stock......for your second AR ;)
http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=8047-NS

I would go along with this choice or this.

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=7109-NS

You're getting an Aimpoint Pro, which is considered an excellent red dot sight for the money. They go for $400-$430 a pop. Daniel Defense carbines are right up there in quality. Just add a set of sights and a few quality magazines and you're off to the races with a great package.

The_crawfish
07-02-13, 21:19
hope the op doesn't mind me jumping in here...but I've got my choices for my 1st ar narrowed down to either the dd v5 w/ aimpoint or the 6920mp + aimpoint. They both come out to roughly the same price. Any reason I should choose one over the other??
And one stupid newb question to give y'all something to bag on me over...can you see over the front sight on the 6920 with the aimpoint or does it have to be removed??

Agnostic
07-02-13, 21:34
My vote is for you to go with the Colt. As I read more on the site and learn more about the platform, Colt just seems to be the way to go. Straight up quality and decades of accumulated knowledge. I am starting to save for my second AR, and it's gonna be a Colt.

I don't see how you are "paying for a name" with the purchase of a Colt. I think the price for a 6920 seems very reasonable.

I also vote for a 1:7 twist. Shooting the heavy bullets is great.

ColtM4Carbine
07-02-13, 21:55
hope the op doesn't mind me jumping in here...but I've got my choices for my 1st ar narrowed down to either the dd v5 w/ aimpoint or the 6920mp + aimpoint. They both come out to roughly the same price. Any reason I should choose one over the other??
And one stupid newb question to give y'all something to bag on me over...can you see over the front sight on the 6920 with the aimpoint or does it have to be removed??

I'm not sure about Aimpoint, but I have an EOTech with a Magnifier on my 6920 and I could see the top of the front sight when looking through the magnifier. It wasn't enough to completely block my view but enough to get me to remove it.

hogfan1911
07-02-13, 22:05

It all depends on what height mount you chose for your Aimpoint. Do a search on here for "co-witness" and you'll find plenty of reading material.

The_crawfish
07-04-13, 13:47
Well, my decision was kinda made for me. Visiting my uncle in Arkansas, walked into the evil Walmart to get my fishing license, and they had the 6920mp black in the case, when he pulled up the list they had the fde for $1147...couldn't resist.

muldoon
07-04-13, 14:57
The first time I shot my BCM it was love @ first mag dump :lol: YMMV

Bang4Buck
07-11-13, 18:59
Here is what I ordered:

http://www.gtdist.com/ProductDetail.aspx?PartNumber=COLT-LE6920MP-B

By far the best price I could find for a colt 6920 with magpul furniture. $1147 total price including tax. And they are local, so I won't pay any shipping or FFL fees. They don't have it in stock but at that price, I can wait for delivery.

I am also picking up a springfield XD-S 45 from them on Saturday. They actually had one in stock and I plan on the XD-S being my conceal carry once I have my license. I'm taking the class at the end of this month.

Tonyparson
07-11-13, 19:25
The first time I shot my BCM it was love @ first mag dump :lol: YMMV

I can't wait to fall in love with my new BCM. It will be in my hands in the morning. I'll be firing Pmags full of 5.56 by lunchtime. :D

Safetyhit
07-11-13, 20:30
I can't wait to fall in love with my new BCM. It will be in my hands in the morning.

Hopefully you mean the gun to the latter. Anyway no tongue on the first date.

kest_01
07-11-13, 21:03
Congrats on the Colt, good choice. On the the Xd though, there are a few other choices that would most likely be better for an EDC. Glock and S&W M&P for example.

Ultimate_respect
07-12-13, 11:54
I know many people love Colt and they are very loyal customers. One thing to remember when picking your rifle it is not about resale value. Colt mass produce these firearms it really does not add any value. It is like buying a Ford Mustang it is a great car that is sporty and has performance but it will never hold it's value compared to a Corvette due to there are less Corvettes made than there are Mustangs. The same goes for the high end imports ect. The Colt will only be worth what someone is willing to pay for it used.

Also don't get sold with most people saying buy it because it is Mil Spec... The civilian model is not Mil Spec because it is not inspected by the government. It may have parts that would pass if inspected by it is not really Mil Spec it is terms people use to believe their rifles are the same as the Military.

Colt makes a great rifle but there are many more out there that people love and says it compares to or even is better than the Colt. The term AR is Trademark by Colt and all other manufactures has to use AR style ect since Colt purchased this right from the original AR manufacture due to economic issues it had.

LostinKY
07-12-13, 12:21
^
...here we go again!

Ultimate_respect
07-12-13, 12:41
We know everything I said is the truth... Anyone who works hard and wants to buy something should have all the facts. When he buys the Colt and tries to resale it he needs to know the true market value no one needs to be mislead.

I am not trying to convince him to buy any other AR style firearm. I am not on here telling anyone that My AR is better then yours ect. We all purchased our rifle for a certain reasons. When I purchased mine I was looking at the Colt and a few others and it was because my manufacture that I went with has the best warranty and not all lifetime warranty are the same.

Colt is a mid-tier AR. The manufacture I went with was also a mid-tier rifle. I was comparing apples to apples.

I think he will be very happy with his purchase of the Colt. We all just need to remember that we are all in the fight together...

bulbvivid
07-12-13, 12:45
It's either don't feed the troll or take the high road.

Probably best to just drive on.

Ultimate_respect
07-12-13, 12:53
Don't feed the troll.... LOL just because someone is educated enough to know that their are difference in the lifetime warranty and the we need to inform new buyers of the possible outcomes will equal a troll is laughable. We can agree to disagree but you will never see me taking the low road and start name calling.

I wish the OP the best in his purchase.

Safetyhit
07-12-13, 13:32
One thing to remember when picking your rifle it is not about resale value. Colt mass produce these firearms it really does not add any value. It is like buying a Ford Mustang it is a great car that is sporty and has performance but it will never hold it's value compared to a Corvette due to there are less Corvettes made than there are Mustangs. The same goes for the high end imports ect.

Somehow it seems you missed the extremely relevant fact that Colts are a widely proven reliable product and therefore justifiably desirable as a result.

Colt makes a great rifle but there are many more out there that people love and says it compares to or even is better than the Colt. The term AR is Trademark by Colt and all other manufactures has to use AR style ect since Colt purchased this right from the original AR manufacture due to economic issues it had.

I agree that some may be better, but would you care to share with us those that you feel are such and why in brief terms? This is not asked so as to poke fun but to learn specifically where it is you are coming from.

Safetyhit
07-12-13, 13:42
Tell you what buddy, rather than put you on the spot or waste the time of others I'd suggest you remember that Colt still makes one of the most quality rifles for the money. Sure I'd take a KAC or a 416 over one but that doesn't mean they still aren't one of the justifiably best deals out there.

ScatmanCrothers
07-12-13, 13:56
The manufacture I went with was also a mid-tier rifle.

Just out of curiousity, what would that be?

Tonyparson
07-12-13, 14:23

I'm curious to know what AR he went with too. I started out with a Bushmaster, had nothing but trouble with it, so I sold it. I bought a Core 15 had all kinds of trouble with it and pretty much gave it away. I then bought a Spikes, I can honestly say I never had any problems with it but, I did sell it and now I have BCM and I'm very pleased with it.

RMiller
07-12-13, 15:38
I have a feeling you misunderstand what mil-spec is. Understand Colt (and other quality AR manufactures) have a high quality standard. That means the barrels, bolts, and receivers are all made of the correct materials and have been properly treated/ checked. This also means the the parts are also the correct demensions including the more important parts like gas ports and chambers. Also, you'll notice proper staking on the gas key and reciever ext. nut. In a sense.... NO shortcuts.

To be honest I think a Colt would actually have a higher resale than my BCM in my area just because of the name. Even though my carbine performs just as well and is made just as well.

Everything in this post seems to be based off some ignorance of the AR platform. Not here to start anything, but here on M4C we hold a higher standard and know all AR15's are not made equally.

I know many people love Colt and they are very loyal customers. One thing to remember when picking your rifle it is not about resale value. Colt mass produce these firearms it really does not add any value. It is like buying a Ford Mustang it is a great car that is sporty and has performance but it will never hold it's value compared to a Corvette due to there are less Corvettes made than there are Mustangs. The same goes for the high end imports ect. The Colt will only be worth what someone is willing to pay for it used.

Also don't get sold with most people saying buy it because it is Mil Spec... The civilian model is not Mil Spec because it is not inspected by the government. It may have parts that would pass if inspected by it is not really Mil Spec it is terms people use to believe their rifles are the same as the Military.

MistWolf
07-12-13, 15:56

It's true that a Colt is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. But resale value has nothing to do with rarity. I built a precision AR that is a one of a kind. No one else has one like it. Yet, I would be hard pressed to sell it for enough to recover what I've got into it because no one else cares about this rifle. As rare as it is, it lacks desirability. Your Mustang vs Corvette analogy is off. The only reason a Corvette is worth more than a Mustang is that it cost more to begin with and is a very desirable car. Rarity does affect price, but without desirability, rarity don't mean squat.

More Mustangs have been built than Corvettes, but Mustangs also costs less new and arguably more popular. Demand for the original 1965 Mustang was so great, it caught Ford entirely by surprise. They only expected to sell ten or twenty thousand at the most, but due to popular demand, the model year had to be extended to18 months during which a record 559,451 units were made. That is roughly one quarter of the entire production run of the Corvette since it was introduced in 1953. Early Mustangs in rough condition sell for thousands more than the original retail $2600. A 65 Shelby GT350 was worth $250,000 twenty years ago, a car that originally sold for about $7500. Why do early Mustangs demand such prices if they are so common? Desirability.

Colt ARs are are nothing if not desirable. Fans of other "economy"brand ARs will tell you that you're paying for the name when it comes to Colt, but what they fail to tell you is that during each ban scare, Colt ARs have always been the first to sell out and demand the highest prices. During the 90s when the politicians were talking about banning "assault weapons" (sic) in California, Colts sold faster than Bushmasters, Rock Rivers and Armalites and commanded higher prices when on the secondary market than they did new

We already know the Colt AR isn't 100% milspec because the civilian model isn't full auto. However, the rest of the parts come from the same sources. Civvie carbines don't go to government inspectors for acceptance, but even the military Colt carbines must go through Colt inspectors first.

We know everything I said is the truth... Anyone who works hard and wants to buy something should have all the facts. When he buys the Colt and tries to resale it he needs to know the true market value no one needs to be mislead...

Your join date is less than a month old. That leads me to believe your motivation for joining this site was to enlighten us poor ignorant brutes. But you've shown you really do not know what you're talking about. Before coming here to "educate" us on the "truth about Colts" please get your facts straight. If you've got documentation that proves me wrong, let's see it

Ryno12
07-12-13, 16:38

I'm curious to know what AR he went with too.

Perhaps he's speaking of his Stag.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=134345

Sent via Tapatalk

07-12-13, 19:12
I had no idea Colt was mid-tier. Let's just re-think everything we know about quality. How they perform in quality classes means nothing. How they perform for the .mil means nothing. A Stag is just as good.:rolleyes:

Hmac
07-12-13, 19:25
Before coming here to "educate" us on the "truth about Colts" please get your facts straight. If you've got documentation that proves me wrong, let's see it

And to educate on the "truth about Mil-spec".

Chrisfb
07-12-13, 20:22
Simple test. You are going to fight for your life with an out of the box carbine in 1min. No time to inspect or test. Only grab load and fight. Personally I'll grab the Colt, most others would too. YMMV

AnCapMan
07-12-13, 20:48

This is why Junk guns still exist...

You are insane if you believe your Stag is as reliable as a Colt.

You are new, Do some real research that isn't from a magazine. Find out what is important and why. And stop spreading false information...

You cannot say agree to disagree - You are wrong - This forum has a reputation to uphold. calling colt mid tier when LITERALLY all other brands (except KAC) aspire to its level of quality is an insult. People come here for knowledge and you are being called out because you are writing anti-knowledge.

Stag has so many things wrong with it (barrel (bad steel, 1:9 non CL), Bolt (no HPT, not carpenter), Bolt Carrier (improper staking)) that its not respected by SERIOUS users..... Anyone reading this in the future should take that into consideration when reading this advice by the above referenced poster.

Tonyparson
07-12-13, 20:58
Ultimate_respect what AR's do you consider being top tier? :confused:

Ultimate_respect
07-12-13, 22:17
Yes I have a stag. I purchased it after research between Colt, S&W tactical and Stag Arms.

I never came here and said my rifle is better than yours. I just pointed out some facts that are 100% true.

When I purchased mine rifle I went with the company stands behind their rifles the best.

Both Colt and Stag have a lifetime warranty while S&W had only a 1 year warranty. Stag is the only company that offers an indefinite shot barrel gurantee! So the person who stated Stag has bad barrels is making a comment that is just plan out irresponsible. Colt does not stand behind their own barrel. Stag also provides the transfer of warranty while Colt does not. Not sure how Colt can be more valuable when buying it second hand when their is no warranty. Stag also pays for warranty work both ways while Colt says it is up to them on if you the owner pays for it or if they will pick up the shipping cost.

Stag also offers 1/7 twist ... So this shows us you do not really know much about Stag Arms.

CMT the parent company of Stag makes AR 15 parts for more than half of the industry including Colt. I am not saying Stag is any way better than Colt. I am just saying that Colt uses parts from CMT.

Many of the people who own both a Stag and Colt would perfer the Stag according to people that I have talked to that own both rifles. Not to say that there are others who would say they would perfer a Colt.

I will not bash Colt because I never owned a Colt. So unless you owned a Stag you speaking out of ignorance saying their rifles are junk.

I did not join this site to have altercations... I joined this site to enjoy speaking with people who enjoyed AR rifles. I never said Colt is junk... BTW everyone knows the government buys from the cheapest vendors that will meet their standards. If you want to believe you have a high tier rifle fine think you have one. I don't need to burst anyone bubbles. You all worked hard to purchase the rifle that you purchased. So I am happy for everyone that is fighting the fight to keep the right to bear arms.....

Tonyparson
07-12-13, 22:30
Ultimate_respect look at this chart and compare your Stags to a Colt.

http://gunfacts.webs.com/M4Chart1.gif

You might want to read this too. It goes along with the chart.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pwswheghNQsEuEhjFwPrgTA&single=true&gid=5&output=html

AnCapMan
07-12-13, 22:44
Yes I have a stag. I purchased it after research between Colt, S&W tactical and Stag Arms.

I never came here and said my rifle is better than yours. I just pointed out some facts that are 100% true.

When I purchased mine rifle I went with the company stands behind their rifles the best.

Both Colt and Stag have a lifetime warranty while S&W had only a 1 year warranty. Stag is the only company that offers an indefinite shot barrel gurantee!
Most stag owners, and most AR owners will never shoot out a barrel - Its an empty guarantee. Also Colt offers a 1 Year warranty

So the person who stated Stag has bad barrels that is making a comment that is just plan out irresponsible.
Are you serious! Stag uses 4140, or you can upgrade to 4150 - But you cannot upgrade to a proper certified barrel steel -

Colt does not stand behind their own barrel.
:nono: Stop useless promise, its like me promising that if for any reason your trigger bow breaks - we will replace it... meaningless warranty for 99.999999 of buyers

Stag also provides the transfer of warranty while Colt does not. Not sure how Colt can be more valuable when buying it second hand when their is no warranty.

Look up QC Engineering and QC in general - Colts RARELY leave the factory in anything but battle ready condition

Stag also pays for warranty work both ways while Colt says it is up to them on if you the owner pays for it or if they will pick up the shipping cost.

Another way of stating this - We let you be the QC - if its broke we will fix it

Stag also offers 1/7 twist ... So this shows us you do not really know much about Stag Arms.

IN select models and very rarely

CMT the parent company of Stag makes AR 15 parts for more than half of the industry including Colt. I am not saying Stag is any way better than Colt. I am just saying that Colt uses parts from CMT.

Conjecture, name the parts that Colt orders from CMT

Many of the people who own both a Stag and Colt would perfer the Stag according to people that I have talked to that own both rifles. Not to say that there are others who would say they would perfer a Colt.

Have you ever talked to people who actually do more than punch paper?

I will not bash Colt because I never owned a Colt. So unless you owned a Stag you speaking out of ignorance saying their rifles are junk.

Ignorance is lack of knowledge - I dont need to put my hand in the fire to know I will get burned, science tells me I will.

I did not join this site to have altercations... I joined this site to enjoy speaking with people who enjoyed AR rifles.
Well you state this, but come to a site well known throughout the interwebs to not put up with anecdotal nonsense when it comes to statements that are being made as fact.

I never said Colt is junk... BTW everyone knows the government buys from the cheapest vendors that will meet their standards.
Their standards are pretty high, BM, DPMS, Stag, etc cannot meet them for the price that Colt and FN can.

If you want to believe you have a high tier rifle fine think you have one. I don't need to burst anyone bubbles. You all worked hard to purchase the rifle that you purchased. So I am happy for everyone that is fighting the fight to keep the right to bear arms.....

Not trying to pick a fight with you, but you are arguing from first hand anecdotal experience - I am arguing from science, and have armorers who can tell you why.

Things that you are missing
QC Inspection Matters
Macdonalds buys its meat from the same farms as steak houses buy their meat - But MacDonalds meat is garbage.... How is that possible if it comes from the same cows?

Ryno12
07-12-13, 22:48
The first thing I'm concerned about when choosing an AR is the quality of the parts and components that make up the rifle. That last thing I'm concerned about is the warranty. If something breaks, I'll fix it myself... but that's just me.

Sent via Tapatalk

RMiller
07-12-13, 22:56
http://i1051.photobucket.com/albums/s424/Rmillerm4/image_zpsd8b59b31.jpg

AnCapMan
07-12-13, 23:00
Let me add some of my other experience

I own the top tier 1 factory in my industry in China... no joke...

I am in China right now actually typing this. Admin can look up my IP to prove this.

We get specs to make things OEM for various customers and it varies... Some want cheap, others want highest quality or it gets rejected.

Lets pretend CMT makes a few meaningless parts for Colt, Stag and a bunch of others....

From my experience as a factory owner, they will all have their own specs and standards of quality acceptance. But ONE of those companies makes guns that are required to PASS 3 levels of inspection - the other one might have 1 level of inspection... 1 has VERY demanding metallurgy and dimensional requirements.... The other one will have a basic requirement of what kind of steel to use and what is with in spec dimensionally. One is going to MPI the crap out EVERY SINGLE PART you send them - The other is not going to be bothered.

I deal with 137 companies in 28 nations around the world... 6 actually have super high demands on quality, the others just want it as cheap as possible with no extra QC checks... They spend their money on advertising and charge just as high a price or higher than their high quality counterparts, they also include that nice lifetime warranty... guess what - the price of the warranty is built into the cost. I would rather have someone prove to me that they make Really UBER Quality than someone say if it breaks I will fix it.

RMiller
07-12-13, 23:02
The first thing I'm concerned about when choosing an AR is the quality of the parts and components that make up the rifle. That last thing I'm concerned about is the warranty. If something breaks, I'll fix it myself... but that's just me.

Sent via Tapatalk

Agreed, when a carbine is bought with good quality parts/construction a warranty will more than likely ever be used.

Just look at the chart above. I looked at all these features before I bought my BCM and YES, it ALL matters.

SeriousStudent
07-12-13, 23:06
Let me add some of my other experience

I own the top tier 1 factory in my industry in China... no joke...

I am in China right now actually typing this. Admin can look up my IP to prove this.

We get specs to make things OEM for various customers and it varies... Some want cheap, others want highest quality or it gets rejected.

Lets pretend CMT makes a few meaningless parts for Colt, Stag and a bunch of others....

From my experience as a factory owner, they will all have their own specs and standards of quality acceptance. But ONE of those companies makes guns that are required to PASS 3 levels of inspection - the other one might have 1 level of inspection... 1 has VERY demanding metallurgy and dimensional requirements.... The other one will have a basic requirement of what kind of steel to use and what is with in spec dimensionally. One is going to MPI the crap out EVERY SINGLE PART you send them - The other is not going to be bothered.

I deal with 137 companies in 28 nations around the world... 6 actually have super high demands on quality, the others just want it as cheap as possible with no extra QC checks... They spend their money on advertising and charge just as high a price or higher than their high quality counterparts, they also include that nice lifetime warranty... guess what - the price of the warranty is built into the cost. I would rather have someone prove to me that they make Really UBER Quality than someone say if it breaks I will fix it.

Dude's IP checks out. He's just north of Hong Kong, in Shenzhen.

RMiller
07-12-13, 23:11
Dude's IP checks out. He's just north of Hong Kong, in Shenzhen.

I believed him. Thanks for confirming though. :)

RogerinTPA
07-12-13, 23:35
We know everything I said is the truth... Anyone who works hard and wants to buy something should have all the facts. When he buys the Colt and tries to resale it he needs to know the true market value no one needs to be mislead.

I am not trying to convince him to buy any other AR style firearm. I am not on here telling anyone that My AR is better then yours ect. We all purchased our rifle for a certain reasons. When I purchased mine I was looking at the Colt and a few others and it was because my manufacture that I went with has the best warranty and not all lifetime warranty are the same.

Colt is a mid-tier AR. The manufacture I went with was also a mid-tier rifle. I was comparing apples to apples.

I think he will be very happy with his purchase of the Colt. We all just need to remember that we are all in the fight together...

So, what kind of 'mid-tier' AR did you purchase, and is now defending, but lack the will to name it??? WTF is a mid-tier?

You don't seem to know the difference between 'commercial' grade ARs
(CMMG, RRA, STAG, BM, Olympic Arms, and even the S&W M&P15, etc...S&W being the best of those mentioned) and 'military grade' ARs (Colt, BCM, DD, LMT, Noveske & KAC).

Commercial grade AR aren't intended to be shot often or relied upon as a hard use, training or military use. That's where the price difference comes in. It's not just 'paying' for the rollmark when you talk about military grade ARs. You're paying for the high quality workmanship and parts which lie beneath.

Trying to defend commercial grade ARs is not only misleading and arrogant, but ignorant, because you're defending one type of AR when in reality, you no nothing of either type. People like you come in on a weekly basis trying to defend your commercial grade ARs, and like you, don't know what they speak of. It would go a long way if you'd do some research before spreading uneducated gunshop bubba info or 'what you heard' as the gospel.

glock30_27
07-13-13, 00:46
So, what kind of 'mid-tier' AR did you purchase, and is now defending, but lack the will to name it??? WTF is a mid-tier?

(CMMG, RRA, STAG, BM, Olympic Arms, and even the S&W M&P15, etc...S&W being the best of those mentioned) and 'military grade' ARs (Colt, BCM, DD, LMT, Noveske & KAC).

Commercial grade AR aren't intended to be shot often or relied upon as a hard use, training or military use. That's where the price difference comes in. It's not just 'paying' for the rollmark when you talk about military grade ARs. You're paying for the high quality workmanship and parts which lie beneath.

Trying to defend commercial grade ARs is not only misleading and arrogant, but ignorant, because you're defending one type of AR when in reality, you no nothing of either type. People like you come in on a weekly basis trying to defend your commercial grade ARs, and like you, don't know what they speak of. It would go a long way if you'd do some research before spreading uneducated gunshop bubba info or 'what you heard' as the gospel.
Nobody needs to say anything else this sums it all up!

Hmac
07-13-13, 04:46

I have a Stag 2T. Also a Colt and a few Noveskes. The Stag has been a competent rifle, but it's not the equal of the other two brands, and at the price, you'd have to be a seriously misinformed shopper to go with the Stag over a 6920.

RMiller
07-13-13, 06:34
For the price its hard to beat the Colt 6920 at any level. The only reason I have the BCM upper and built lower is simple. I bought most stuff used off our EE or on sale. I'm still at about the same price as a 6920, but I gain midlength, QMS trigger, and Vltor A5 among other things.

But a Colt 6920 would have been alot less hassle in the long run. :rolleyes:

I have a Stag 2T. Also a Colt and a few Noveskes. The Stag has been a competent rifle, but it's not the equal of the other two brands, and at the price, you'd have to be a seriously misinformed shopper to go with the Stag over a 6920.

RMiller
07-13-13, 06:39
Dense man.... He's just dense. He doesn't have the willingness to learn and probably won't admit he was taken when he bought the Stag(could have bought the Colt for not much more). So...lets downplay Colt to make oneself feel better about their bushy, stag, dpms, etc. That's the number 1 issue. Again, if the Stag runs great for years to come and many after for them, so be it. Just don't recommend the junk for serious work on here. It's the two points I'm after.

Bang4Buck
07-13-13, 07:39
As the OP, I didn't mean to start a Sh!tstorm over which AR is best. If someone is happy, then they are happy. With that being said, it is clear some people on here know their stuff about an AR, and others don't know much at all.

I am picking up my colt6920 with Magpul furniture later today. Are these things ready to shoot right out of the box? I was already planning on going to the range and am hoping I can break in the colt today!

Ryno12
07-13-13, 07:42
I am picking up my colt6920 with Magpul furniture later today. Are these things ready to shoot right out of the box?

Yes. Shoot it first then decide if there are any changes you'd like to make.

Sent via Tapatalk

MistWolf
07-13-13, 08:01
As the OP, I didn't mean to start a Sh!tstorm over which AR is best. If someone is happy, then they are happy. With that being said, it is clear some people on here know their stuff about an AR, and others don't know much at all.

I am picking up my colt6920 with Magpul furniture later today. Are these things ready to shoot right out of the box? I was already planning on going to the range and am hoping I can break in the colt today!

Field strip, clean, inspect and lube your rifle before shooting. Other than that, she should be ready to go! Let us know how she shoots

Pappabear
07-13-13, 08:16
Field strip, clean, inspect and lube your rifle before shooting. Other than that, she should be ready to go! Let us know how she shoots

A lot of people do this, I take mine straight to the range and burn the oil off it. If you have time to take home and clean, do so. If your gun store is by the range, go heat that mofo up. 6920 is GTG, nice choice.

Hmac
07-13-13, 08:20

True, but if functionality and reliability are the hallmarks of a quality rifle then posting here that one's Stag has been great for the 1000 rounds it's had through it is a little off the point.

Hmac
07-13-13, 08:25

Are you sure that you completely understand the concept of Mil Spec? Is this all stuff that you were told at the gun store where you bought your Stag?

RogerinTPA
07-13-13, 10:08

Congrats on your quality purchase. I normally do a quick inspection of the BCG, lube it generously then head to the range.

FYI, you didn't start a shit storm. These issues Always pop up in threads like these from folks trying to rationalize throwing away hard earned money based on gunshop/ bubba info. Most do not realize that commercial grade manufacturers know that their guns won't be shot often, only to be used to shoot a few times a year at dirt clods & cans, while screaming "Hell Yeah!, Yeeee Haaaaw! We f--ked those cans up!, then taken out on the holidays to impress the brother in law, uncles and male neighbors, then set in the closet to collect dust until the next time the following year. They build and market (the disinformation campaign to make you think they are equal to a military grade guns, paying for the roll mark, they use the same parts, etc...), playing on the customers ignorance, while charging them a premium price. Given the knowledge they have about the average gun buying male, they have No interest whatsoever in building a military grade quality gun.

MistWolf
07-13-13, 22:30
A lot of people do this, I take mine straight to the range and burn the oil off it. If you have time to take home and clean, do so. If your gun store is by the range, go heat that mofo up. 6920 is GTG, nice choice.

I don't mean anything fancy. Mostly to wipe the parts down as needed and inspect the chamber & bore to see if there might be any unpleasant surprises, then hit it with some lube. Shouldn't take more than a few minutes. Then you can get on with heating it up & burning the oil off it

RMiller
07-14-13, 06:19
I don't mean anything fancy. Mostly to wipe the parts down as needed and inspect the chamber & bore to see if there might be any unpleasant surprises, then hit it with some lube. Shouldn't take more than a few minutes. Then you can get on with heating it up & burning the oil off it

I agree. It's always a good thing to give it a quick look over and some lube. I feel like some of the out of box failures some people see are due to lack of lube.

USA
07-14-13, 11:00
I have two Colts so I like them, but you should still inspect before firing IMO. Colt makes mistakes too, like everyone else.

In the 2nd Colt I bought, the firing pin was not captured by cotter pin. The firing pin fell out when I pushed out pivot pins and pulled out bolt carrier group to inspect.

While it most likely will be fine out of the box, it takes 5 minutes tops to do a quick check of upper, lower, FCG and bolt and bolt carrier group to make sure everything assembled properly and is functioning correctly. If you have more time, you might as well clean and lube too, but at a minimum, do a 5 minute check before firing, if you can.

Also, you will need to purchase a front sight tool before you can zero your carbine, and you will need to decide what zero you want to use too and have the right zero target to use.

Edit: alternatively, you can use a bullet tip to adjust front sight, saving you some money there, but eventually, you'll probably want to get the FS tool. Targets can be printed off online.

Good luck man.

I-M4-REAL
07-14-13, 23:33
For your first AR get a Colt! And don't put a bunch of CHEAP crap on it either, keep it simple, keep it MIL!
You'll never forget the memory and you'll have an 'actual' military weapon that's been fighting on the battle field killing Americas enemies for half a century still to this day! Plus you'll always get a 'high' when you pull that Colt out of the safe! Trust me you'll never regret it! :no:

Bang4Buck
07-15-13, 06:21
I have two Colts so I like them, but you should still inspect before firing IMO. Colt makes mistakes too, like everyone else.

In the 2nd Colt I bought, the firing pin was not captured by cotter pin. The firing pin fell out when I pushed out pivot pins and pulled out bolt carrier group to inspect.

While it most likely will be fine out of the box, it takes 5 minutes tops to do a quick check of upper, lower, FCG and bolt and bolt carrier group to make sure everything assembled properly and is functioning correctly. If you have more time, you might as well clean and lube too, but at a minimum, do a 5 minute check before firing, if you can.

Also, you will need to purchase a front sight tool before you can zero your carbine, and you will need to decide what zero you want to use too and have the right zero target to use.

Edit: alternatively, you can use a bullet tip to adjust front sight, saving you some money there, but eventually, you'll probably want to get the FS tool. Targets can be printed off online.

Good luck man.

I cleaned it yesterday, except the barrel. I didn't have the appropriate sized brush. Heading to the store after work today.

For your first AR get a Colt! And don't put a bunch of CHEAP crap on it either, keep it simple, keep it MIL!
You'll never forget the memory and you'll have an 'actual' military weapon that's been fighting on the battle field killing Americas enemies for half a century still to this day! Plus you'll always get a 'high' when you pull that Colt out of the safe! Trust me you'll never regret it! :no:

I got the colt 6920 with Magpul furniture. Looks like the base model will now be coming with Magpul based on colt's site.

Bang4Buck
07-21-13, 18:02
Finally got to fire my brand new Colt 6920 with Magpul furniture this afternoon. I put 120 rounds through it and she shot fantastic! I was in the tactictal bay standing up and shooting 27 yards. Groups were tight (probably 6 inches) and I have no doubt would have been tighter if I wasn't a complete newbie. I had never fired any kind of long gun until a couple hours ago.

I'll have to look in to optics and more accessories down the road. I can see why an AR is so addictive :cool:

Rascally
07-21-13, 18:11
Another BRD infection takes root...

Rascal

Krull
07-21-13, 18:14
Try and keep it simple a dot sight or scope and a light are the most you'll need,then you can fool with stocks,handguards,grips et cetera to make the gun feel good to you.

Six inches is okay but keep shooting and you'll shrink them a lot,at about fifty yards I can do about an inch with my new Colt.

Next time get a rest and sit down,this is better for first time shooters after you get used to it go try standing-it ain't easy to hit for spit standing if you've never shot a long gun before.

larsch
07-21-13, 21:24
Well my first AR is a Windham. I found you guys a couple of weeks after I bought it. Hopefully it's not junk. It seems well made tho I know its not full spec and all that. I'll most likely never be able to fire enough rounds through it to find out. You all have very interesting and informative conversations. Good shooting everybody.

Bang4Buck
07-21-13, 21:26
Well my first AR is a Windham. I found you guys a couple of weeks after I bought it. Hopefully it's not junk. It seems well made tho I know its not full spec and all that. I'll most likely never be able to fire enough rounds through it to find out. You all have very interesting and informative conversations. Good shooting everybody.

I am fortunate to have had someone to guide me towards certain brands that meet higher specs. I tend to be careful with a larger purchase like this, as there is nothing worse than buyer's remorse. I'm very happy with the way the Colt 6920 shot today. Hard to beat for the money.

larsch
07-21-13, 22:00
I am fortunate to have had someone to guide me towards certain brands that meet higher specs. I tend to be careful with a larger purchase like this, as there is nothing worse than buyer's remorse. I'm very happy with the way the Colt 6920 shot today. Hard to beat for the money.

Mine was a bit of an impulse buy. It was a few months back when the gun control thing started heating up and my wife said the magic words " if you want any more guns you had better get it done". I had been wanting an AR but hadn't really done any research so I went to a few stores and purchased what seemed to be the best bang at the time. Prices were pretty crazy at the time. Anyway I'm sure there's a Colt or DD or a BCM out there somewhere with my name on it if need be. Anyway it's a good excuse to have two. Maybe a 6.8 or a 300 blk hummm.

MistWolf
07-21-13, 22:33
At the very least, the Windham will get you up and shooting. Get a pile of mags and ammo and go wear it out. Learning will occur.

Welcome to the forums!

mdoan300
07-21-13, 22:47
Finally got to fire my brand new Colt 6920 with Magpul furniture this afternoon. I put 120 rounds through it and she shot fantastic! I was in the tactictal bay standing up and shooting 27 yards. Groups were tight (probably 6 inches) and I have no doubt would have been tighter if I wasn't a complete newbie. I had never fired any kind of long gun until a couple hours ago.

I'll have to look in to optics and more accessories down the road. I can see why an AR is so addictive :cool:

If you haven't sighted it yet, then next time head over to the 50yd range and either verify the sight or sight it for 50/200yds or 25/300yds. The RSO will ask if you're sighted and if not, he'll send you to the 25yd lanes to start out.

Good to hear you're enjoying it, congrats!

larsch
07-21-13, 22:49
Thanks for the welcome. I've been shooting my whole life. I have guns that have earned my trust if something bad were to happen. Time will tell about this one. I do need to research what parts commonly break tho and throw some spares in my bag.

Tzook
07-22-13, 11:21

Good on you as well, you've obviously researched your purchase. You'll fit right in here at M4C!

catadjuster
08-03-13, 20:29
Here is what I ordered:

http://www.gtdist.com/ProductDetail.aspx?PartNumber=COLT-LE6920MP-B

By far the best price I could find for a colt 6920 with magpul furniture. $1147 total price including tax. And they are local, so I won't pay any shipping or FFL fees. They don't have it in stock but at that price, I can wait for delivery.

I am also picking up a springfield XD-S 45 from them on Saturday. They actually had one in stock and I plan on the XD-S being my conceal carry once I have my license. I'm taking the class at the end of this month.

Thanks for posting this, I went down to the Austin GT Distributors and picked up a new LE6920MP-B today. I was about to take a trip out to the Cedar Park Wally World and pay $50 more for a model w/o the Magpul furniture. This is my first AR, I hope to be able to get out to the range next weekend and get some lead in the air.

Bang4Buck
08-03-13, 21:05
Thanks for posting this, I went down to the Austin GT Distributors and picked up a new LE6920MP-B today. I was about to take a trip out to the Cedar Park Wally World and pay $50 more for a model w/o the Magpul furniture. This is my first AR, I hope to be able to get out to the range next weekend and get some lead in the air.

Welcome. They have by far the best prices I've found, and service has been great. They are literally the first place I check now before I buy anything. No one else in the Dallas area has beat any of their firearm prices.