PDA

View Full Version : HK416/MR556 stock

NightRider24
07-02-13, 09:56
Anybody know if they can be had for a reasonable price? Cheapest I've found is from Midway at $164 (listed as MR556 stock). They're cool but not that cool.

caelumatra
07-02-13, 10:05
Depending on why you want it, the Vltor Emod, Imod, and Clubfoot look sort of similar. As does the Magpul ACS, and the B5 Sopmod and can all be had for around $100. Others look similar like the LMT Sopmod but it is on Rainier for $300 so...that's out if $150 is out for the MR556 stock. As for function wise, I can't advise. I like the MOE stock. Cheap, tough and fills the role I need it for.

NightRider24
07-02-13, 10:24
I have the Emod and hate it. Terrible cheek weld for me. I've shouldered the ACS and the Sopmod. They're ok, I just like the feel of the 416/556 a lot better. I've shouldered one before and the stock just feels right for me. Very comfortable. Zero dislikes about it other than the price tag.

Dano5326
07-02-13, 10:54
Have seen HK416's come from the factory with commercial & milspec receiver extensions... SOPMOD stocks, Regular commerial USGI-esq stocks, and the silly german one with the sling attachments in the worst possible place. Be sure what your getting.

The HK stoopid stock can come with a concave or convex buttpad. Both of them have a tendency to twist off when least desired.

Caveat Emptor !

Arctic1
07-02-13, 11:06
I agree with Dano on the E1 stock. It is one of the few dislikes I had with the gun. The buttpad would come off frequently on guns (although not on my gun), the buttpad is too wide, making it hard to get a proper stock weld with body armor, and some of the sling attachment points would break in the cold.

jaxman7
07-02-13, 11:46
I have the Emod and hate it. Terrible cheek weld for me. I've shouldered the ACS and the Sopmod. They're ok, I just like the feel of the 416/556 a lot better. I've shouldered one before and the stock just feels right for me. Very comfortable. Zero dislikes about it other than the price tag.

Send me your EMod. ;) One of my favorite stocks. If you don't like the cheekweld remove the storage tubes.

-Jax

nmsu
07-02-13, 14:58
The 416s we have (about 5 years old now) came with commercial tubes and USGI looking stocks (with HK logo on them).

chungdae
07-02-13, 15:40
Try it out before you buy it!

leibermuster
07-05-13, 10:26
Have seen HK416's come from the factory with commercial & milspec receiver extensions... SOPMOD stocks, Regular commerial USGI-esq stocks, and the silly german one with the sling attachments in the worst possible place. Be sure what your getting.

The HK stoopid stock can come with a concave or convex buttpad. Both of them have a tendency to twist off when least desired.

Caveat Emptor !

I have never had these problems to date??? And no Unit I'm aware of has had any major issues with this accept one isolated incident in Norway...

Arctic1
07-05-13, 10:48
The buttpad twisting off is not limited to one isolated incident in Norway. It has happened A LOT.

SMGLee
07-05-13, 12:48
Little side story on this HK stock....

back in the early 2002ish time frame, HK asked Tangodown to design a full package for the HK 416...VFG, rail panels, grip and stock. Tangodown presented a line of products to HK but the project never went anywhere....well, few years later, HK released their own stock which looked eerily similar to the original Tangodown design, with the removable butt pad and all.

I will check my computer to see if i can dig up the presentation files...

badness
07-05-13, 15:48

Caveat Emptor !

Since i don't own one i didn't know for sure, but you always see the HK reps in shot show videos showing their latest and greatest product, the mr556 and they just twist the buttpad and it pops right off. I always figured the damn thing came off to easily. Definitely not a feature i'd want in a fighting rifle.

Moose-Knuckle
07-05-13, 15:55
Have seen HK416's come from the factory with commercial & milspec receiver extensions...

Wow, . . . :suicide:

Arctic1
07-05-13, 16:34
Wow, . . . :suicide:

And that is a :suicide: moment because? :confused:

All of our guns have commercial spec receiver extensions.

Of the few thousand weapons I have seen, I have personally only seen 2 issues with the RE; one came loose and the other was misaligned slightly.

No other issues, no excessive wear, no nothing.

foxtrotx1
07-05-13, 16:55
I think the concern is that it could be a potential issue. For the money you are paying for the rifle, you would think the superior strength design would be chosen.

The real question, what alloy was used for the RE?

Arctic1
07-05-13, 17:14
Are broken RE's a common occurrence? I don't know why our HK's came with commercial spec RE's, but they have held up fine.

I haven't compared them to other commercial spec RE's to identify differences, but RE issues for us were rare.

I am not sure if anyone outside HK knows what kind of alloy is used.

Moose-Knuckle
07-05-13, 17:25
And that is a :suicide: moment because? :confused:

All of our guns have commercial spec receiver extensions.

Of the few thousand weapons I have seen, I have personally only seen 2 issues with the RE; one came loose and the other was misaligned slightly.

No other issues, no excessive wear, no nothing.

AR-15 pattern rifles are offered in two varieties here, "mil-spec" and "commercial". When you buy an aftermarket stock from say Magpul or Vltor for instance they have warnings in their installation instructions about the differences in the two, mainly dimensions. Mil-spec stocks cannot fit commercial REs without damaging the stock which in most cases renders them inoperable. Commercial stocks can fit on mil-spec REs but they are loose.

Mil-spec guns (Colt, LMT, etc.) here ship with mil-spec stocks and REs. The problem I see is if a US unit/individual are acquiring HK guns with commerical tubes and they want to retro fit the gun to their own personal/unit configuration they would run into issues installing such stocks as the LMT SOPMOD.

Arctic1
07-05-13, 17:33
I am aware of the differences, and I didn't mean to imply that all AR-15 pattern rifles in Norway came with commercial spec RE's. I meant the Norwegian military guns, HK416s.

I agree that stock selection is greater with a mil spec RE. I used a CTR stock made for a commercial spec RE on my gun in Afghanistan, and like it a lot; much lower profile and narrower pad.