PDA

View Full Version : What other spare parts do I need?

sinlessorrow
07-02-13, 15:58
Figured I would ask here about What other spare parts I need, this is per rifle btw.

Am I missing anything else?
Bolt
extractor and pin
extractor spring x2
ejector/spring/pin
cam pin
firing pin
firing pin retaining pin x3
gas rings x2
action spring x2
spare complete trigger group(I run geisseles so this is just a backup in case of Darwin.)
mag catch
mag catch spring
bolt catch
bolt catch spring and pin.
gas tube and pin.

jaxman7
07-02-13, 16:57
Extra charging handle. Maybe not the norm for spare parts but last year I broke a gunfighter charging handle the day before a class.

Extra castle nut or two for sure and carrier key bolts.

Sinless your list would probably also be equipment specific. For example extra KAC panels if using a RAS rail. Had them fall off in the past. 123 batts for Eotech/Surefire. If using a fsb, two extra taper pins or set screws for set screw gas block, etc.

-Jax

3 AE
07-02-13, 20:43
The safety selector gets manipulated a lot and the detent pin wears down and the detent pin spring can get kinked if your not careful when changing out a safety and reinstalling/changing out a grip. So I would get those along with a pair of detents and springs for the pivot and takedown pins. Any small part with a spring behind it is just asking to be launched into oblivion somewhere along the line. :D

Suwannee Tim
07-02-13, 20:49
You got enough parts there you might as well put them together and carry a spare gun. :D Seriously, I got a spare gun. A couple of them in fact.

jaxman7
07-02-13, 20:53
The safety selector gets manipulated a lot and the detent pin wears down and the detent pin spring can get kinked if your not careful when changing out a safety and reinstalling/changing out a grip. So I would get those along with a pair of detents and springs for the pivot and takedown pins. Any small part with a spring behind it is just asking to be launched into oblivion somewhere along the line. :D

Yep. Just replaced mine a few weeks ago . My Noveske STS had practically no click going into and off safe. Removed the detent and it was flat on 2 sides.

-Jax

gashooter
07-02-13, 21:20
I suggest at least 1 complete LPK, complete bolt or 2, and a kit like the DPMS field repair kit..as well as gas tubes, gas keys and screws.

sinlessorrow
07-04-13, 19:31
Thanks everyone. I am planning to get this part from SAW, does anyone know what exactly comes in it?

http://www.specializedarmament.com/products/Lower_Receiver_Parts_Kit_Semi_0_155-1161-0.html

Sounds like practically everything I would need for the lower.

SMGLee
07-05-13, 12:25
I keep at least two complete sets of LPK group from G&R...plus

A few sets of detent springs, trigger group springs, buffer springs, ejector springs and extractor springs+O-rings

I also keep few complete bolt assemblies and usually have one complete bolt inside my TangoDown VFG

These is what i see go down hard in classes...(been hosting Alias classes for the past three plus years with about 6-7 various classes a year @ about 20 students per class. Plus my local classes with a salute of local instructors..seen a few issues here and there..:))

I have other parts listed by posters above, extra firing pins, castle nut, receiver end plates, but mostly those aren't the parts that would break, require a scheduled replacement cycle or get lost during assembly.

3 AE
07-05-13, 14:08
Thanks everyone. I am planning to get this part from SAW, does anyone know what exactly comes in it?

http://www.specializedarmament.com/products/Lower_Receiver_Parts_Kit_Semi_0_155-1161-0.html

This is off the SAW website. All Colt parts too. I'm envious!

http://www.specializedarmament.com/images/images/155SA.gif

sinlessorrow
07-05-13, 15:03
This is off the SAW website. All Colt parts too. I'm envious!

http://www.specializedarmament.com/images/images/155SA.gif

Awesome! Thanks for the pic. How did you find it?

Iraqgunz
07-05-13, 15:04
Not to be an ass but this has been discussed numerous times and ways before. The more spare parts you have the better off you are always. Just ask those who had stuff during the heat of the Gunpocalypse of 2013.

So the question becomes what are these parts for and is this long term you will never touch it stuff, or are these comfort parts?

Grand58742
07-05-13, 15:24
I'd say a complete BCG plus spare firing pin, cam, retaining pin, etc like you have listed.

Bent gas key will ruin everything and not easy to replace.

jwperry
07-05-13, 16:39

That is a complete LPK, I've used a few for builds.

Personally, if I wasn't going to spring for a spare LPK(I've taken advantage of a few of PSA's bundle packages) I'd buy the Colt parts replacement kit from Brownells.
http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-amp-action-parts/parts-kits/ar-15-rifle-accessories-kit-sku160311101-26508-10892.aspx?sku=160311101
It is essentially a LPK, minus selector, FCG and a proper front takedown pin.

I'd also invest in a few crush washers, spare bolt, cam pin, firing pin and firing pin retainer.

Realistically, I see me needing to replace parts due to them reaching their life expectancy before needing to replace them due to failure. That is, when using quality parts and having them properly assembled.

PatrioticDisorder
07-05-13, 16:59
Extra charging handle. Maybe not the norm for spare parts but last year I broke a gunfighter charging handle the day before a class.

Wow, from the way BCM advertises the gunfighter you'd think they were bomb proof. I wonder how durable the V2 Raptor is compared to a gunfighter. That's a shitty part to have break on you when you may need it.

jaxman7
07-05-13, 17:23
Wow, from the way BCM advertises the gunfighter you'd think they were bomb proof. I wonder how durable the V2 Raptor is compared to a gunfighter. That's a shitty part to have break on you when you may need it.

Now keep in mind. That is ONE in how many thousands sold? And yeah I still use them and will keep using them.

BCM replaced it for free (w/a newer version, this was a gen 1) and I got the replacement in time for a 3G match for the following weekend. Not bad considering I live in Mississippi and BCM is in Wisconsin. I am the only one that I've heard of that has broken one so let's not start spreading anything about how GFs are crap. :) I guess I am the 'special' one who can break an anvil.

With customer service like theirs even if I break something I know theyll stand by their product. That's half the reason I've already placed about 8 orders to Paul already this year And that's not including the BCM stuff I've bought from Grant and others.

-Jax

PatrioticDisorder
07-05-13, 17:29
Now keep in mind. That is ONE in how many thousands sold? And yeah I still use them and will keep using them.

BCM replaced it for free (w/a newer version, this was a gen 1) and I got the replacement in time for a 3G match for the following weekend. Not bad considering I live in Mississippi and BCM is in Wisconsin. I am the only one that I've heard of that has broken one so let's not start spreading anything about how GFs are crap. :) I guess I am the 'special' one who can break an anvil.

With customer service like theirs even if I break something I know theyll stand by their product. That's half the reason I've already placed about 8 orders to Paul already this year And that's not including the BCM stuff I've bought from Grant and others.

-Jax

Well I'm sure glad BCM treated you right, I'll be ordering a CH or two for my DDM4 soon and I'll keep your positive experience in mind when ordering... And ya you are the only one I'd ever heard of that broke a gunfighter, but then again you did say it was a gen1 (assuming they have a newer gen) and like anything, if they came out with a newer gen I'm sure they identified and fixed a deficiency, that's good on them.

Iraqgunz
07-05-13, 17:40
Bravo Company sells thousands of these per month. I think thus far the amount of ones that have broke can be counted on one hand.

They have also been in circulation alot longer than the Raptors. I'm not knocking them at all as they are solid. But, ANYTHING can break. No matter who makes it or what its' made from.

PatrioticDisorder
07-05-13, 17:58
Bravo Company sells thousands of these per month. I think thus far the amount of ones that have broke can be counted on one hand.

They have also been in circulation alot longer than the Raptors. I'm not knocking them at all as they are solid. But, ANYTHING can break. No matter who makes it or what its' made from.

Agree, if anything reading Jaxman's account of how he was treated by BCM CS, speaks volumes about them as a company, I think it's strengthened my faith in them. I think this is a good example of ANYTHING can break, because the BCM gunfighter is something I'd never even think about as something that could break.

Benito
07-05-13, 21:31
You got enough parts there you might as well put them together and carry a spare gun. :D Seriously, I got a spare gun. A couple of them in fact.

I agree in principle, as it is nice to have spares, and a spare gun is the ultimate set of spare parts, but if one is limited for space and weight, dragging around a second rifle seems cumbersome.
The image that comes to mind is of a hunter carrying a spare rifle on his back.

sinlessorrow
07-05-13, 21:47
Not to be an ass but this has been discussed numerous times and ways before. The more spare parts you have the better off you are always. Just ask those who had stuff during the heat of the Gunpocalypse of 2013.

So the question becomes what are these parts for and is this long term you will never touch it stuff, or are these comfort parts?

This is just to have spare parts for when or if something breaks, because we all know Darwin stops for no one. I think I will just get the Colt bundle from SAW which should round out my package for my main rifle.