PDA

View Full Version : Smith & Wesson: No more regular capacity mags?

sun tzu
07-02-13, 19:05
As a normal part of my day I make the rounds on the interwebs looking for the 17 round magazines for my M&P nine, in hopes of finding some at non exorbitant prices. Today, while looking on smith & wesson's website I noticed they only have magazines listed that will hold 10 rounds or less. Is this a measure to stop people like me from hounding them about where the regular capacity mags are hiding, or something worse?

PatrioticDisorder
07-02-13, 19:21
As a normal part of my day I make the rounds on the interwebs looking for the 17 round magazines for my M&P nine, in hopes of finding some at non exorbitant prices. Today, while looking on smith & wesson's website I noticed they only have magazines listed that will hold 10 rounds or less. Is this a measure to stop people like me from hounding them about where the regular capacity mags are hiding, or something worse?

fat chance of S&W getting rid of standard round magazines. I'm sure they took them off the website because they're some of the few mags demand is still through the roof for. I'm sure they recognize this and I suspect within the next year or so they'll have ordered production of the mags to be ramped up.

Redbeardsong
07-02-13, 22:07
Smith hasn't let loose of regular M&P mags for nearly a year, it seems. They're using them all for production guns.

C4IGrant
07-03-13, 07:35

Yes.

No conspiracy/agenda going on.

C4

Traveshamockery
07-03-13, 08:04
Grant, any idea what S&W is doing to increase magazine production?

As someone who transitioned to the M&P platform partially because of widely available parts and accessories, it seems like S&W is really falling down on the job.

Nearly every other popular platform (XD, Glock, Sig) has recovered from the panic buying situation, with magazines regularly available. So what's up with Smith?

C4IGrant
07-03-13, 08:23
Grant, any idea what S&W is doing to increase magazine production?

As someone who transitioned to the M&P platform partially because of widely available parts and accessories, it seems like S&W is really falling down on the job.

Nearly every other popular platform (XD, Glock, Sig) has recovered from the panic buying situation, with magazines regularly available. So what's up with Smith?

S&W does not make their own mags so there isn't a lot they can do. On top of this, there production numbers are WAY up so they need even more mags in order to keep up with this increased number.

C4

jlw
07-03-13, 08:40
Check with Clyde Armory (http://clydearmory.com/). They had some in stock when I was in the store recently.

Doogledog
07-03-13, 11:53
I was seriously contemplating purchasing a new M&P 9. The lack of magazine availability might steer me away from that. How many magazines do they come with out of the box?

C4IGrant
07-03-13, 11:56
I was seriously contemplating purchasing a new M&P 9. The lack of magazine availability might steer me away from that. How many magazines do they come with out of the box?

Two.

C4

Doogledog
07-03-13, 12:03
I'm planning on taking a class in Nov and wanted to pick up a new "service size" 9mm to take it with. The minimum requirements for the class is three mags. After reading this thread and another active one about M&P accuracy on in this forum, I'm leaning toward a Glock or a Sig now.

PatrioticDisorder
07-03-13, 12:07
I'm planning on taking a class in Nov and wanted to pick up a new "service size" 9mm to take it with. The minimum requirements for the class is three mags. After reading this thread and another active one about M&P accuracy on in this forum, I'm leaning toward a Glock or a Sig now.

newly manufactured M&P 9mms are coming with the new barrel with new twist rate which has fixed the lingering issues.

Sig & Glock have had their own QC issues as well, check out GlockTalk and all the threads about brass to the face and erratic ejection.

BTW, when I bought my M&P 40 full size & compact last August the S&W reps were at the store and every M&P was sold with an extra mag so mine came with 3 anyway. I started off as a Glock shooter, I still think it's a good platform despite it's issues, but IMO M&Ps with it's more natural grip angle and ergos is a superior platform.

Doogledog
07-03-13, 12:17
I guess there are the good and bad in all. I've got an M&P 22 pistol and it feels really good in my hand. I would imagine the 9mm has basically the same feel. I also have a Glock 23C that I shoot as well or better than anything I own. Regardless, I'll "hold" it before I buy anything. I had a Sigma and couldn't get rid of it fast enough. I hated that thing.

PatrioticDisorder
07-03-13, 12:21
I guess there are the good and bad in all. I've got an M&P 22 pistol and it feels really good in my hand. I would imagine the 9mm has basically the same feel. I also have a Glock 23C that I shoot as well or better than anything I own. Regardless, I'll "hold" it before I buy anything. I had a Sigma and couldn't get rid of it fast enough. I hated that thing.

This is absolutely true, especially at this point in time, there is good and bad with all. M&P and Glock are the only two platforms I'd consider right now, I've always shot Glocks well but I prefer the M&P and I haven't looked back. Can't blame ya for getting rid of the sigma, that thing was an abortion and it's the reason it took me some time to warm up to the M&P to begin with.

Doogledog
07-03-13, 12:23
Yea, the same for me. I was really apprehensive about buying the 22 but, I'm really glad I did. It's a great shooter. The only mags I've seen for it are listed at $59.99!

PatrioticDisorder
07-03-13, 12:31
Yea, the same for me. I was really apprehensive about buying the 22 but, I'm really glad I did. It's a great shooter. The only mags I've seen for it are listed at $59.99!

I'd like to get an M&P 22 eventually, the mags wouldn't be a big concern for me as it would be a plinker. $60 a mag is absolutely insane though!

Doogledog
07-03-13, 12:34
They may be cheaper elsewhere. I saw that on 44mag.com.
http://www.44mag.com/product/m_p_22_magazine_12_round/smith_and_wesson

C4IGrant
07-03-13, 12:40
I'd like to get an M&P 22 eventually, the mags wouldn't be a big concern for me as it would be a plinker. $60 a mag is absolutely insane though!

Always a good idea to check with forum sponsors!

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=42414

Even better yet, we offer M4C discounts on them. ;)

C4

Doogledog
07-03-13, 12:42
Cool! I'll have to place an order. Thanks!

PatrioticDisorder
07-03-13, 12:42
They may be cheaper elsewhere. I saw that on 44mag.com.
http://www.44mag.com/product/m_p_22_magazine_12_round/smith_and_wesson

See Grant's post, #17 for a MUCH better price.

okie john
07-03-13, 13:24
Today, while looking on smith & wesson's website I noticed they only have magazines listed that will hold 10 rounds or less.

The experience and tools that Smith offers ecommerce customers have improved a little bit lately, but they have always been pretty lame.

Okie John

sun tzu
07-03-13, 14:41
Thanks for the info grant.

FromMyColdDeadHand
07-03-13, 19:46
I bought a 9mm CORE model just so I could have some more 17rnd mags before the stupid 15 round limit comes into ineffect here in Colorado. Hated to do it, but it had to be done.....

Spare mags have never been very available for the guns. A real black eye for SW. Other people have figured out their mag issues, the fact that SW hasn't with its third party supplier is just weird.

Aren't all these double stack mags pretty much the same tube with different lengths to the baseplate and mag catch points. I know you used to be able to mod Berretta FS99 mags and SW59 mags to fit Springfield XDs. Any chance for this with the SWs M&Ps so at least I don't put my good mags in peril when I'm training? A malf here and there aren't bad in that case.

sun tzu
07-03-13, 20:12
Aren't all these double stack mags pretty much the same tube with different lengths to the baseplate and mag catch points. I know you used to be able to mod Berretta FS99 mags and SW59 mags to fit Springfield XDs. Any chance for this with the SWs M&Ps so at least I don't put my good mags in peril when I'm training? A malf here and there aren't bad in that case.

I've read about some guys modifying the .40 cal mags to run 9, as those seem to be plentiful through cdnn. I was thinking the sv or sd mags might work too. Either way, it's super frustrating for all the m&p owners out there.

sun tzu
07-03-13, 20:47
Does Mec-Gar still make Smith & Wesson magazines? Perhaps that is a viable source.

They do I believe, but only for the 5900 series based off of the website.

Cincinnatus
07-03-13, 21:28
I bought a 9mm CORE model just so I could have some more 17rnd mags before the stupid 15 round limit comes into ineffect here in Colorado. Hated to do it, but it had to be done.....

Spare mags have never been very available for the guns. A real black eye for SW. Other people have figured out their mag issues, the fact that SW hasn't with its third party supplier is just weird.

I have found that a Sigma .40 mag will cycle in a M&P 40C--note that this would not work in a full size M&P 40, because the Sigma mag is shorter. Perhaps you can try some Sigma 9mm mags in an M&P 9C?