PDA

View Full Version : Iron Sight Options for "pre-ban" base

HemiAlex
07-02-13, 22:40
I purchased a DPMS barrel and sight combination from Midway today to complete my build.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/525804/dpms-barrel-ar-15-556x45mm-nato-heavy-contour-1-in-9-twist-16-chrome-moly-matte-with-front-sight-base-pre-ban

Does "pre-ban" front sight base tell me everything that I need to know? Is it an A2 style base or an F? I'm building a flat top and I've got some of the parts for a detachable carry handle. I don't think I can justify $72 for the A2 parts kit (haven't looked much, may be able to find cheaper) but if its more than $50 I would just like to get something like a Magpul or a Troy sight.

What sight is that? Midway couldn't tell me and I'll need to call DPMS tomorrow. Any insight into my options is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

VIP3R 237
07-02-13, 23:23
Dpms does not utilize an "F" marked fsb. You may run into issues attempting to zero. Also with it being a Dpms barrel I would assume it is overgassed and may not be a true 5.56 chamber.

Col_Crocs
07-02-13, 23:27
^this. Why that barrel if you dont mind me asking? Im genuinely curious.
Also, i dont quite understand your post. By A2 parts kit, do you mean an A2 upper? You can get around the non-F FSB and flat top combo by getting a taller front sight post to compensate for it. Bushmaster makes, or atleast, sells them, IINM.

HemiAlex
07-03-13, 09:10
Price, availability and volume of production. I wanted a cheap, easy to get and something that was used on a lot of guns. I wanted to get into the gun as cheaply as possible and upgrade as dictated by need.

By a2 parts kit, I mean that I've got a bolt on carry handle with out any of the sight pieces. I've got the following 17220 parts.

If the front sight is an a2 then ill complete the a2 rear and save flip up sights for v2 of this rifle.

HemiAlex
07-03-13, 19:54
DPMS says it has an A2 sight base and it will use any common rear sight.