PDA

View Full Version : Best placement for barricade support on rail?

JohnsMyName
07-03-13, 14:32
I have the new Noveske K9 coming in the mail and have been thinking about where on my rail I want it. I have a 13.5'' rail with barrel/comp at 16'' OAL.

I've done a bunch of searches and haven't come up with much except for some very hard to see examples of the NST running courses.

I'm thinking just slightly set back off the front of the rail on the right side (as a right handed shooter my left arm can be used to hold forend between thumb and index finger, like I'm holding my hand up to say "halt" and the K9 can grip on the right side if needed).

Anyone have any experience with this?

http://i1310.photobucket.com/albums/s658/Johnsmyname/NVKM-DA-K9_1_zps63e30178.jpg

markm
07-03-13, 14:43
:confused:

What the hell is that thing?

JohnsMyName
07-03-13, 14:49

It attaches to your rail and is used as a stop to grip barricades at funny angles and provide solid shooting platform. Also has a sweet built in QD swivel mount :laugh:

tehpwnag3
07-03-13, 14:57

Not quite a fork. Not quite a spoon.

JohnsMyName
07-03-13, 15:05

:lol:

Inkslinger
07-03-13, 15:18

TacSpork.

markm
07-03-13, 15:19
TacSpork.

I need one!

Inkslinger
07-03-13, 15:21
I need one!

Order now and get a second TacSpork FREE! Just pay shipping and handling.

Inkslinger
07-03-13, 15:23
OP, you'll probably just have to play around with it till you find what works for you.

tehpwnag3
07-03-13, 17:22
I believe I see most of these devices mounted at 6 o'clock. Maybe to accommodate right and left hand shooting equally. I would think that at six you could tilt around barricades and catch the outside edge of the TacSpork on either side of the barricade when switching shoulders.

As stated above, I would play with it and see what works best for you.

JohnsMyName
07-03-13, 17:25
I believe I see most of these devices mounted at 6 o'clock. Maybe to accommodate right and left hand shooting equally. I would think that at six you could tilt around barricades and catch the outside edge of the TacSpork on either side of the barricade when switching shoulders.

As stated above, I would play with it and see what works best for you.

This is helpful, thanks.

tehpwnag3
07-03-13, 17:34
This is helpful, thanks.

You bet.

I am sure someone else will come along with better info...

ETA: You know what? It looks like you should get two, one for each side. I didn't know it was that small.

Failure2Stop
07-03-13, 17:46
I prefer barricade stops on the right side of the gun, as I am primarily a right handed AR shooter. Right side placement permits shooting from the left side of a barricade without needing to transition hands for barricade support.
I generally place them about an inch short of the end of the rail to help ensure that there is no barrel contact with the barricade.

Typos brought to you via Tapatalk and autocorrect.

AFshirt
07-04-13, 06:00
And all this time I have been just wedging my hand between the magwell and the barricade. Neat gadget and you can comb your hair with it later.

JohnsMyName
07-04-13, 09:18
I prefer barricade stops on the right side of the gun, as I am primarily a right handed AR shooter. Right side placement permits shooting from the left side of a barricade without needing to transition hands for barricade support.
I generally place them about an inch short of the end of the rail to help ensure that there is no barrel contact with the barricade.

That is exactly what I was thinking, thanks for the input.

ra2bach
07-04-13, 12:53

perpetrator sticker???

:rolleyes:

samuse
07-05-13, 07:55
I use a pool que type grip whenever possible, or I can use the bayonet lug.

Most every 'barricade' at a match is something hastily put together, usually something zip-tied to Tee posts or a shaky VTAC wall type of thing.

I can see how that would be handy but you can use front of the rail.

30 cal slut
07-05-13, 08:09
support index finger and thumb, like a pool cue grip?

OP, that gadget looks scary, i might hurt myself with thing sticking out :p

30 cal slut
07-05-13, 08:10
In before Carolyn McCarthy calls it a sideways mounted bayonet.

Airhasz
07-05-13, 08:50
Looks like something that will make its way to the bottom of the parts bin in short order...:p

JohnsMyName
07-05-13, 21:43
I use a pool que type grip whenever possible, or I can use the bayonet lug.

Most every 'barricade' at a match is something hastily put together, usually something zip-tied to Tee posts or a shaky VTAC wall type of thing.

I can see how that would be handy but you can use front of the rail.

Thanks for the input. Considering there is very little weight added and I'd like to keep my barrel from making contact with anything I think it will come in handy.

JohnsMyName
07-05-13, 21:45
In before Carolyn McCarthy calls it a sideways mounted bayonet.

:lol:

Swag
07-05-13, 22:20
If you're going to run them and they do not weigh much each, why not run 3 of them? One each at the 3, 6, & 9 o'clock positions? Or if you use a vert, run two. One each at 3 and 9 o'clock.

Trajan
07-05-13, 22:57
Why not just jam the edge of your rail onto whatever barricade you're using?

Airhasz
07-06-13, 00:47

With all the slick side $$$ new rails one must be careful of scuffing...:p

Packing a 45
07-06-13, 02:09

SPORK

JohnsMyName
07-06-13, 05:48

I know probably doesn't matter but for longer shots I'd feel better not having my barrel making contact with anything.

At my club we set up courses and shoot for points against time. I'm thinking this would give me critical time/accuracy on long distance shots.

Failure2Stop
07-06-13, 07:35

Because of POI shift from barrel contact.