PDA

View Full Version : .22 revolver

cthompson36
07-03-13, 23:25
hey guys, I'm looking for a pocket sized .22 revolver. I'd like to keep it under 350$ or so. I'd like it to be double action and a decent trigger. so far I've seen the ruger lcr .22 and thats about it that fit the bill, so my question is this, what other pistols fit those requirements that you would recommend? I want a .22 because I'm under 21 so I can buy ammo and its relatively cheap, and I'm also very skinny so it would be easier to carry. Thanks guys!

Alaskapopo
07-04-13, 08:15
hey guys, I'm looking for a pocket sized .22 revolver. I'd like to keep it under 350$ or so. I'd like it to be double action and a decent trigger. so far I've seen the ruger lcr .22 and thats about it that fit the bill, so my question is this, what other pistols fit those requirements that you would recommend? I want a .22 because I'm under 21 so I can buy ammo and its relatively cheap, and I'm also very skinny so it would be easier to carry. Thanks guys!

Friends don't let friends carry mouse guns. A good .38 revolver or a small 9mm auto would be a far better choice unless your worried about attacking mice.
Pat

Shao
07-04-13, 08:42
Maybe he wants it for a trail gun... you know, loaded with snakeshot or something. I was in the market for a .22 DA revolver for awhile just so that I could practice in my garage with Colibri rounds.

cthompson36
07-04-13, 13:25
I'm not expecting to ever use it and if need be it can still kill someone. In all honesty just showing a gun can probably get me out of most situations. It's mostly for critter control and plinking but maybe occasionally carrying. I'm very small so I can't conceal anything very big and I plan on taking this to college to shoot with a club and it has to be a .22 for the range there.

okie john
07-04-13, 14:49
First off, I agree 100% with the comments about mouse guns.

Second, if you're under 21, it may be illegal for you to carry a handgun in your state. Definitely look into that...

Third, cheap 22s are the Spawn of Evil™. Reliable, accurate 22's are not cheap, and the smaller they get the more they tend to cost. Walther's TPH fits the bill for an auto but will probably be well out of your price range. Walther also made the PP, PPK, and PPK/S in 22 LR, but the two smaller models can be very hard to find in that cartridge. Back in the 90s, Manhurin made a copy of the PP that's actually pretty reliable if you keep it clean. Magazines and other parts interchange between the two guns for what that's worth. Beretta made some solid pocket-size 22's before the 21A came out, but again, they're expensive.

If you insist on a revolver, keep an eye peeled for a S&W Model 34 or 63. You're an optimist if you're carrying a mouse gun for defense, so you might as well hope for a Colt Diamondback in 22 LR if you can find one. Decent 22 LR revolvers are extremely rare in your price range, but it does happen. IF you find one, slap your money down and skedaddle with your treasure before the seller realizes what you just did to him.

But again, save the mouse guns for mice.

Okie John

fourXfour
07-04-13, 14:51
The LCR 22 is a great gun and the hogue tamer grips really feel good. As you mentioned you are under 21 and the cost of .22 will help you practice more. Master the double action trigger and every other gun you shoot after that will be so much easier. Once your ready and want a dedicated self defense gun there are plenty of options. You can move up to a .38 or .357 LCR or maybe try a semi-auto. You can still use the LCR .22 later to practice and teach new shooters

Devildawg2531
07-04-13, 17:31
This is a little above your price goal but the Smith and Wesson 617 is a terrific 10 shot stainless revolver - I've had 1 for years and its about perfect for a 22 revolver. Would not recommend it for self defense but it's great for targets and game appropriate for a 22

The Dumb Gun Collector
07-04-13, 18:57
I have a scandium (read $$) .22 J-frame that I have for plinking. I have been thinking about loading it with snake shot for my nightly walks. Even though I live in the middle of a medium sized town I have run into an insane Raccoon and a Copperhead in the last 6 weeks. At this point I am more likely to need the weapon against a small critter and 8 shots of snake shot to the face should be effective at interpersonal negotiation.

jmnielsen
07-04-13, 19:20
If you don't have to have a pocket sized I love my single six. But it's got a 6.5" barrel. Interchangeable cylinders for .22 LR and .22WMR is awesome!

cthompson36
07-04-13, 22:23
I have a 1911 .45 for carry if i really want to carry something big. this would maybe get used for carry a few times a year tops. i just want a fun gun to practice with. I'd like it to be a pocket pistol to fill the niche of small gun I can carry anywhere

as far as under 21 carry I have a carry permit. in my state you only have to be 18, but the gun cant be registered in my name and i cant buy handgun ammo...

the reason I have the sub 350$ is because if i went over that why not just get the LCR? im just seeing what other options there are in that price range i guess iw what im getting at

Vegasshooter
07-05-13, 08:51
+1 on the 10 shot S&W. I had a chance to buy on years ago and didn't, I have been kicking my own butt for years for not. They aren't that common, probably because folks that have them KNOW what they have. Fantastic revolver to do ANYTHING a .22 is suitable for. For a S/A, the Beretta tip up barrel, I forget the model number is a neat little gun, and it is a damn sight better than a stick or a rape whistle if you MUST use it in a defensive capacity. I know everyone is going to tell you that a .22 is no good for defensive carry, I know that they aren't perfect, and I'm sure you do to, but if that's what you can afford and it is what you have, I think it is better than nothing. Getting shot friggin hurts, and no one likes to leak.

Frailer
07-05-13, 10:53
I have a 2" S&W Model 63. It's an excellent little revolver, but they are very difficult to find and very expensive when you do.

My recommendation, given your price restriction, would be one of the North American Arms revolvers. The tiniest versions are very difficult to fire accurately, but some of the larger models (which are still quite small) will serve for close-range pest control and plinking. I carry a "Black Widow" in my pocket when mowing, etc. They're very well made, and they're fun to shoot.

TWR
07-08-13, 18:42
I bought a S&W 43c mostly for running but it's good cheap practice for the 640 as well. It's an 8 shot, no lock DAO that weighs very little even when loaded. I know it's just a 22 but its better than nothing and more accurate Than I thought it would be.

I put a clip grip on it and just tuck it in my waistband.

Evil1969SS>LS6
07-26-13, 06:04
Well, now with the lack of good .22 ammo, availability and price is outrageous (unless you currently have a stash of .22) I'd opt for either the LCR .38 or .357 Superior ballistics is a big factor. I own a LCR .357 and load it with Gold Dot .38spl 135 gr. Short Barrel rounds. I love it as its my most carried pistol now. Light, handy, smooth double-action trigger... I like it nearly better than my Snubbie J-frame IMO. You would not be disappointed in any of the LCR variants. Go for it!

djegators
07-26-13, 20:46
I've handled the Ruger LCR .22, and it seems quite nice for the money, and should be had in your price range. I do own a Taurus 94, which had been a very good shooter, and my gf carried it for quite a while, until she moved up to 9mm. I don't see very many used 94s for sale, but when you do should be well under $300.