PDA

View Full Version : M&P 9mm + Taylor Freelance Mag Extension

Outlander Systems
07-04-13, 14:54
With the Great Supply Crisis in full swing, especially in regards to M&P Magazines, I'm curious if anyone has any experience, good or bad, with the Taylor Freelance extensions for the M&P platform.

Since I can't obtain additional mags at any price, I'm looking into the option of expanding my current magazines' capacities.

My primary concern is:

Are the Taylor Freelance extensions and springs fit for defensive use? I don't care how ugly they are. I don't care if they are the newest coolest thing. I want to know do they run RELIABLY. Has anyone run a course with 'em? How are the included springs? Any problems with the baseplates popping off? Do they work well with the factory S&W followers?

On a side note, trying to find mags for the M&P have me at my wit's end. It's borderline absurd. I wouldn't even be considering mag extensions if my efforts to source mags wasn't so futile.

daisycutter
07-04-13, 14:59
When I got my m&p it came with some 10 rounders. I use them for training and keep my carry in more standard size mags. I like the 10's (which you can find here and there) because it forces me to work on faster reloads.

Ymmv

Outlander Systems
07-04-13, 15:04
When I got my m&p it came with some 10 rounders. I use them for training and keep my carry in more standard size mags. I like the 10's (which you can find here and there) because it forces me to work on faster reloads.

Ymmv

Are the 10-rounders available? I mean, 10 rounds are better than no backup mags...Pretty sad though.

Fail-Safe
07-04-13, 16:13
I have a TF +10 extension on one mag. I fired a couple of boxes of ammo through it with no problems. My cousin used it , and I have no idea how many rounds he fired through it. He ended up buying one as well.

Outlander Systems
07-04-13, 19:59
I've heard they have issues with the new light grey followers.

Did you have to mod the extension to get it to the full capacity?

bookin
07-04-13, 22:00
I've heard they have issues with the new light grey followers.

Did you have to mod the extension to get it to the full capacity?

I had to chop the bottom of my follower off to get the full +5.

SteveL
07-04-13, 22:20
I had the Arredondo (http://www.arredondoaccessories.com/category.cfm?cid=1001,2015&PID=gg13l5513ivuxy&GID=SWPB) brand mag extensions on 5 of my M&P magazines for a while. I ran several hundred rounds total through them with no problems. I bought the kits that included the extension and spring. They claim it adds 6 additional rounds, but I could never force the 6th extra round in. It seems it's pretty common that if you use their extra power spring then you lose one round in capacity but that's not noted anywhere on their site or product packaging that I ever saw. Just FYI.

ETA: I just looked at their site and now it only claims to add 5 rounds in a 9mm mag, which is accurate.

Fail-Safe
07-05-13, 00:43
The host mag is a current generation 17rd mag. It has a gray follower and somekind of finish on the body.

At first I could only load 26rds, out of 27rds, but now I can load 27 if I choose to.