PDA

View Full Version : Trigger finger bolt release.

China boy
07-04-13, 22:49
I fired my first AR for the first time and realized I wanted a trigger finger bolt release that I see on other peoples' ARs. Where can I find one? What are they called?

I fired about 60 rounds and have some more ammo for later. While firing though now understand what this item does for you when shooting. Thanks for any help.

juliomorris
07-04-13, 22:55
Magpul and troy both make them but some people have trouble with them and most arround here aren't fond of them.

SteveL
07-04-13, 23:13
Magpul B.A.D. Lever (http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG980/116)

munch520
07-04-13, 23:14
Why do you 'want' one? It's a neat idea, but solves no problems.

China boy
07-04-13, 23:15
Thanks guys for the replies. I'll order one and see what I think. Looks like if I don't like it no biggie, take it right off.

ex95B10
07-04-13, 23:16
I think you're referring to the B.A.D. Lever (http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG980/116) (Battery Assist Device).

SilverBullet432
07-05-13, 00:45
i have one on my ar and it works just fine for me. Not sure as to why many don't like them. it works just fine, mags empty, i drop it, put a new one in, release the bolt using the lever, all without taking my left hand off of the gun and keeping it ADS

swinokur
07-05-13, 05:17
I have them on my Colt and 2 DD carbines. Work as designed. Seems like a good idea to me.

munch520
07-05-13, 05:41
i have one on my ar and it works just fine for me. Not sure as to why many don't like them. it works just fine, mags empty, i drop it, put a new one in, release the bolt using the lever, all without taking my left hand off of the gun and keeping it ADS

I'm just not sure it makes the shooter any faster. They also can and have induced malfunctions. If the user gets into the habit of using one, will he be able to effectively use a carbine without a BAD lever? Just my thoughts

SilverBullet432
07-05-13, 06:04
Why not? Just a simple tap on the paddle and bam! Back in action. I responded awhile back on a similar topic and again i will lay this out: it is a "theory based product" according to Magpul. Which means that it won't work for everyone.

4DAIVI PAI2K5
07-05-13, 07:15
I used to use mine all the time. Now I only use it to lock the bolt back. I wanted to stay in the habit of using the ping pong to drop it forward. I will probably end up removing it completely at some point just to lazy to take it off and plus it drives Grant insane lol

AFshirt
07-05-13, 07:20
Not sure as to why many don't like them.

Because many people have found that their bolts do not lock back with it installed for some reason or another. I've trained for 2 decades to hit the release, too late to learn something new now.

Hmac
07-05-13, 07:39
I used to use mine all the time. Now I only use it to lock the bolt back. I wanted to stay in the habit of using the ping pong to drop it forward. I will probably end up removing it completely at some point just to lazy to take it off and plus it drives Grant insane lol

Exactly the course I followed with the BAD lever. I had none of the issues with it that people report, but I elected to go back to the bolt release or racking the charging handle to send the bolt home. I kept it for awhile because it was convenient for locking the bolt back, but I did finally remove the thing a couple of years ago and don't miss it. One less thing to snag on gear.

Sort of a solution looking for a problem.

djegators
07-05-13, 09:16
As with many things, there is no one best way, there is what works for you. Personally, I don't care for the BAD. I think it is a good product, and I know many people that use them successfully. I also have first hand knowledge of a rifle that the BAD lever caused problems with. If you like it, try it out, vet your setup, and carry on.

Stangman
07-05-13, 09:19
I personally like the product, but don't at the same time. It's convenient, but when I start putting speed or stress on mag changes sometimes my finger slips and sends the bolt home before I want it there, making the mag change that much longer. That alone made me take it off of my go to AR. Admittedly I still have one on another that is more of a plinker. Take that for what you will....

Ed L.
07-05-13, 09:58
I fired my first AR for the first time and realized I wanted a trigger finger bolt release that I see on other peoples' ARs. Where can I find one? What are they called?

I fired about 60 rounds and have some more ammo for later. While firing though now understand what this item does for you when shooting. Thanks for any help.

You've fired 60 rounds through the AR platform and you want to change it already?

How about learning to use it the way it was designed first.

By your own admission you are inexperienced. Do you really want to mess around with installing something that you can install incorrectly or getting confused between pulling the trigger and releasing the bolt?

WadeP
07-05-13, 10:04
You'll be far better off putting that money towards quality training and learning how to run the rifle as-is.
After a couple of training courses and several thousand rounds, then decide if you need any do-dads.

Swag
07-05-13, 10:05
You've fired 60 rounds through the AR platform and you want to change it already?

By your own admission you are inexperienced. Do you really want to mess around with installing something that you can install incorrectly or getting confused between pulling the trigger and releasing the bolt?

Whoa...Jenga

SilverBullet432
07-05-13, 10:20
Im going to take a carbine course soon, and to be honest, im going to take it off just too see how i like it without the BAD. OP, you might look into the same, most say that the best thing you can get for your ar is ammo and training. Ill run that course with and without the BAD and take it from there. I think thats a great solution

tpevan
07-05-13, 10:24

Agreed...and that is my gripe with the BAD Lever. You are putting your finger in a place where it should only be to operate one thing only...and that is the trigger.

Learn to use the AR as it was intended to be used. You can send the bolt home very fast with the standard bolt release.

gschoelles
07-05-13, 10:25
I like it as much to assist in locking back the bolt as releasing it.

My new Smith n Wesson mp10 came with a ambidextrous lever built in and I think that is a great idea too.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

WickedWillis
07-05-13, 10:48
Every time I see someone post about The B.A.D lever on here this is exactly what I think. Tpevan hit the nail right on the head.

Agreed...and that is my gripe with the BAD Lever. You are putting your finger in a place where it should only be to operate one thing only...and that is the trigger.

Learn to use the AR as it was intended to be used. You can send the bolt home very fast with the standard bolt release.

TxRaptor
07-05-13, 10:49
I own one, had it installed on my AR for a long time, and enjoyed it. I went to my first Carbine course, immediately took it off, and have never touched it since.

For the class I needed to switch my magazine catch to a functioning one and realized there was no way to remove it with the BAD lever installed (Actually, this applies to any of these extended bolt lock levers on the market). Luckily, I had the special super tiny star allen key tool to remove the screw in my range bag and have left it off ever since.

Since that class, I have refused to purchase, install, or use any device/accessory on my AR that would require a special or custom tool to adjust/remove. I want to have a "serviceable" weapon that I can do simple work on should I ever need to. If I was to ever lose the special star allen key, I don't have extras of it laying around.

Yes it simplified the ability to lock the bolt to the rear without removing my strong hand. It also aided in an array of other things but the con listed above, far out-weighed the pro's for me.

Ops
07-05-13, 11:04
never had a issue with one. if you cant tell the difference between the two maybe you shouldnt be owning one.

Hammar
07-05-13, 11:23
I like the idea of the BAD lever (not necessarily the location) and find it usefull when I remember to actually use it. The problem arises with me that at speed, muscle memory takes over and I just go for the paddle anyway.

Army Chief
07-05-13, 11:57
Please don't be the guy that shows up at his first class with a BAD installed. Routine manipulation and malfunction drills will positively eat you alive while you struggle to become fluid with a part that your instructor will likely tell you to remove. For a newer shooter, BAD means only one thing: Big Arse Distraction.

Many have tried them. Some still use them. A few get very good results with them. For the rest of us, it makes far more sense to go with a "Theory-Based" Angled Fore-Grip, or something else that won't leave you fumbling all over your receiver trying to extract some imaginary extra performance from a component that you neither need nor understand.

AC

Gunzilla
07-05-13, 12:14
Phase 5 makes a 1 piece bolt release that works nicely. I've found that by using an extended bolt release I can get back on target faster, measurably faster, and every little bit helps. The only real situation where I could foresee a problem with the extended bolt releases is while wearing heavy winter gloves.

As for causing malfunctions I've had none with my ARs, but have experienced some cases where the bolt would not lock back after the last round with my S&W 15-22. The quick cure was to trim 2 coils off the bolt release spring and it cured the problem.

Here is a pic of the 'Phase 5' bolt release:

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n8/eurowannabe/pieces/DSCN1010_zps60a0678d.jpg (http://s108.photobucket.com/user/eurowannabe/media/pieces/DSCN1010_zps60a0678d.jpg.html)

SilverBullet432
07-05-13, 13:03
Please don't be the guy that shows up at his first class with a BAD installed. Routine manipulation and malfunction drills will positively eat you alive while you struggle to become fluid with a part that your instructor will likely tell you to remove. For a newer shooter, BAD means only one thing: Big Arse Distraction.

Many have tried them. Some still use them. A few get very good results with them. For the rest of us, it makes far more sense to go with a "Theory-Based" Angled Fore-Grip, or something else that won't leave you fumbling all over your receiver trying to extract some imaginary extra performance from a component that you neither need nor understand.

AC

yes chief, im taking it off for the class, and i will take it from there. who knows, i might not even like it after the class.

polymorpheous
07-05-13, 13:41

Ed wins the thread!

This should have been addressed right out the gate.
M4C is going soft.

Lian
07-05-13, 14:04
Why do you 'want' one? It's a neat idea, but solves no problems.

you mean like not having to take your trigger hand off the grip?

SMGLee
07-05-13, 14:14
I have seen guys I know, run the BAD lever with huge success. they are expert at their craft and they work hard at practicing the SOP. The performance definitely increase can be measured with a timer..

that being said, I have seen new shooters or shooters just want to have the coolest gadgets on their gun...first sign of trouble, they are completely frozen, arms, head, fingers fly all over the place, can;t figure out his ass from his head...Definitely not a BAD lever candidate.

If you want to use a BAD lever and you want to make it a go at it, install it, and go to a range and do 300 rep of speed reload with it for the next five days... fuse that SOP into your brain..

I am a paddle release guy through and through...it is just as fast as anyone with a BAD, except for a very few that actually spend time practicing on the system... and definitely faster and way faster than anyone running it for the sake of running it.

Iraqgunz
07-05-13, 14:58
I watched someone have a negligent discharge because he went to activate the B.A.D lever and pulled the trigger instead. I would suggest that you spent alot more time than 60 rounds with your weapon before adding this.

polymorpheous
07-05-13, 15:28
you mean like not having to take your trigger hand off the grip?

To do what?
Reload?

If you are not clearing a malfunction, there is no reason the take your CONTROL hand off of the grip.

dmfisher71
07-05-13, 19:03
i have one on my wilson.. and i love it... i think its much easier and fast

jaxman7
07-05-13, 19:20
I use one. Two actually. Not going to say I LOVE them but they are a positive for the lowers I have and how they are setup. I use Redi-Mags/Mods. They make releasing the bolt much easier considering there is a huge hunk of aluminum or steel right by the bolt release/catch.

A lot of benefits using one of these. To me-personally both left and right handed with a Redi-Mag.

Would I recommend someone using one who is new to ARs? Uh uh. No way. Not one chance. At that point I would say anything like a BAD is crap for you. Learn the basics with the rifle in a stock configuration. Run it like that for a LONG time.

I can pick up a stock M4 style rifle right now at this very second with no BAD and clear a double feed or perform a reload with out missing a beat. Why because it is ingrained in me. Because in the beginning I had a bone stock AR15.

Before any BADs, redi-mags, or any other fancy device learn the basic rifle. At that point you have a very good baseline. When fancy doo dads come along and may make you proficient with the weapon you have that baseline or control to go against. Basics first bud.

-Jax

ETA: Another point is that a BAD may NOT work on your particular rifle. Had a rifle in the past that would NOT work with a BAD lever. If it kills the reliability of your weapon then there is no other choice but to chunk it.

China boy
07-05-13, 19:33
I shot another 60 rounds today and still think I would like one.

It sounds like I just would want to take it off prior to ever attending a class.

jaxman7
07-05-13, 19:36
I shot another 60 rounds today and still think I would like one.

Man seriously 60 rounds is NOTHING. Class. Go to a class.

I will not learn a new firearm in 2 magazines. Class.

-Jax

white-rhyno
07-05-13, 19:55
Could always pick up a seekins lower. Ambi bolt release built in. Just a thought.

Iraqgunz
07-05-13, 19:55
Go buy the trigger thingy that goes up and then come back and let us know how it works for you.