PDA

View Full Version : Anyone built a 6.8??

Razorhunter
04-10-08, 16:42
I'm wondering who all here has built up a 6.8 rifle?
Currently, I'm considering building a 6.8 myself, based off of an LMT upper and lower.
Is it possible to buy a stripped upper from LMT, and a complete lower, and simply buy a quality chrome lined 16" bbl, and build my own 6.8?
What I'm basically trying to build, is a Milspec (LMT?) 6.8 carbine, as close to Milspec as possible. Chrome lined, 16", and standard FSB.
Is there any reason this isn't possible to do?
The end result I desire, would be an LMT 6.8 rifle only NOT in the MRP configuration.
IF LMT offered a standard config 6.8 with an F marked FSB, and NO Monolithic rail, I'd buy one in a second.
Can this build be done, and if not, why? I'm surprised I haven't seen anyone post something like this.
Is is possible? Where could I find a Milspec 6.8 chrome lined bbl, 16" long??
Thanks.

bushmasterar15
04-10-08, 17:24
I just purchased my barrel from Ko-tonics. They are chrome lined 1/11 twist. I don't know about getting a stripped LMT upper as I think they are all factory built and don't sell just plain uppers for a build. To many would put something together and sell it a complete LMT.

Razorhunter
04-10-08, 18:04
Ok, so I could buy a complete LMT upper (minus BCG). Then, buy a Kotonics 6.8 bbl (or Noveske if they make a 6.8 chrome lined bbl?) and swap the 5.56 LMT bbl out with the new 6.8 bbl.
THEN, buy a 6.8 BCG, and put this upper on an LMT lower. Anyone done this? Is there anything I'm overlooking here? Is there any reason this would not work?
I'm just wondering if anyone has actually custom built their own 6.8 MILSPEC rifle. I know there are many NON-Milspec complete rifles out there, but why not do it all Milspec if you can, right?

Razorhunter
04-10-08, 21:04
After a little more research, I think I'll go with a VLTOR MUR upper, and finally get my hands on a milled upper for a change.
Anyhow, I need to decide on which bbl to go with, for this 6.8 build. ??

One one hand, I'm looking at the Noveske 16.1 bbl, which I think is SS (which I like), mid-length gas system, chrome lined, M4 ramps (I think? not sure). However, this Noveske bbl has a standard 6.8spc chamber and is a 1:10 twist.

On the other hand, I'm also looking at the Kotonice bbl, which is NOT SS. It has M4 feedramps, chrome lined, and mid length gas system. The difference is the Kotonics 6.8 bbls have the "Improved SAAMI Spec Chambers" to handle the hotter combat 6.8 loads. Also, these are 1:11 twist, which apparently are more desireable for 6.8 (according to some). I've read a lot about 6.8, and many people say 1:11 is the better rate for 6.8.

What is everyone's thoughts on 1:10 vs 1:11??? Anyone care to comment on the barrel choices I've got listed above?
I would really appreciate it. I would love to go with the Noveske, but I'm afraid the 6.8 might be happier with a 1:11 twist bbl. One other caveat I have, is the difference in chambers. I'm not TOTALLY sure there actually IS a difference in the chambers of the Kotonics and Noveske, BUT I THINK there MIGHT be. Anyone who is more "in the know" than I, care to comment and help a brotha out?
I would greatly appreciate anyone's input on this matter.

Remember911
04-12-08, 19:05
I have. I used a CMMG barrel (wish I would not have). Stag upper BCG in left handed. Plan on changing out the barrel. Hard to group rounds