PDA

View Full Version : Functional Training For Tactical LE (Police Magazine)

WillBrink
07-05-13, 13:49
My latest article in Police Magazine (June 2013 Vol 37 #6)

Features

Rethinking SWAT Training

By adopting more functional training, tactical law enforcement units can improve their effectiveness and extend the longevity of their operators.

In recent years, there has been a paradigm shift in how the tactical community approaches its fitness training. The majority of this change has come from the individual operators looking to improve their general physical preparedness for the job via an emphasis on more functional training.

Functional fitness is all the rage these days in the civilian gyms, and it has recently found some acceptance by various branches of the military as well as law enforcement. Everyone and his mother has jumped on the functional fitness or "functional training" bandwagon, and that's not necessarily a bad thing.

CONT:

http://www.policemag.com/channel/swat/articles/2013/06/rethinking-swat-training.aspx

chuckman
07-05-13, 14:38
Good article. Question: Do you know the rate of injury for those in the military who have to perform at a 'higher level' (for lack of a better term) for longer periods of time vice LE/SWAT, who have to perform at the same level, but for shorter intervals? Is it safe to assume that the injury rate in the mil is higher because of longer duration of performance, or is the injury rate the same for each LE/SWAT and military the same if adjusted for time?

WillBrink
07-05-13, 14:57
Good article. Question: Do you know the rate of injury for those in the military who have to perform at a 'higher level' (for lack of a better term) for longer periods of time vice LE/SWAT, who have to perform at the same level, but for shorter intervals? Is it safe to assume that the injury rate in the mil is higher because of longer duration of performance, or is the injury rate the same for each LE/SWAT and military the same if adjusted for time?

I don't know of any studies that have compared the two. There tends to be a lot of good data on mil populations, surprisingly little on LE. I think to would be difficult to useful numbers there due to so many variables involved, like the training tempo between tac LE can be vastly different team to team ranging from almost non existent to extensive, etc.

Or, say tier 1 guys in mil may have to perform for longer durations, but that may be offset by their generally superior conditioning and training.

So, to get some kind of apples2applies comparison, you'd need to try and match up say some high level high tempo LE tac team to similar mil group and see what you find, accounting for as many variables as possible, such as adjusting for age, years in, hours per week training, etc.

I honestly don't know the answer to that one. A WAG on my part, I'd think the injury rates higher in the SOF people if I had to wager.

Also, as there seems to be a real paradigm shift in the training of SOF fron what I'm reading and hearing, they may see a drop in injury rates and improved performance an longevity, which was the idea I was trying to convey to the tac LE community with that article, and of course plug my own sh*% :D

chuckman
07-05-13, 15:14
Thanks. You put it more succinctly than I, but that's what I was getting at. I understand that most SOF units operate at 'higher levels' longer, and can often do so because of their fitness level; I wonder, too, if because of the mental and nutritional stressors if they break down at a higher rate in spite of the fitness level.

As for improved performance I am know that some groups use a wholistic approach using sports med and PTs to enhance recovery. Have you seen LE/SWAT doing this as well?

Again, great article and I think you are really digging into exciting stuff.

WillBrink
07-05-13, 17:20
Thanks. You put it more succinctly than I, but that's what I was getting at. I understand that most SOF units operate at 'higher levels' longer, and can often do so because of their fitness level; I wonder, too, if because of the mental and nutritional stressors if they break down at a higher rate in spite of the fitness level.

A reasonable, and very likely, possibility I'd say. They may go days or longer on low cals, subjected to weather that adds stress (heat or cold, etc), and carrying heavy loads long distance, so as you say, their operational longevity may be far shorter. But, I don't want to front up by pretending I know the answer to that in terms of actual quantitative information to give on topic.

I'd say the scientists at Natick Army Labs, or trainers at NAVSPEC, or BTDT types like LAV, etc would have better insight than I do on that topic.

As for improved performance I am know that some groups use a wholistic approach using sports med and PTs to enhance recovery. Have you seen LE/SWAT doing this as well?

For sure, but on an individual levels vs team level. That's not to say it does not exist, just that I have not see in. I have seen a range within a team, one guy using various modern tools like PTs, modern concepts of training, supps, etc to enhance recovery, and in the same team, some old school type who does none of that.

It wouldn't surprise me if some well funded team from a major metro PD didn't employ some of that on a team level, but if so, has not made it to my desk personally. Maybe some LEOs here who are on tac teams can comment about what they experience.

Again, great article and I think you are really digging into exciting stuff.

Thanx, I try man. :cool: