PDA

View Full Version : J Frames Shipping W/Better Triggers?

mkmckinley
07-05-13, 15:22
I just picked up a new no-lock 442 as a backup to my 642. The 642 required an Apex trigger kit and extensive dry firing to get it anywhere near the smoothness of my other wheelguns but this new 442 is almost as smooth/light as the old one right out of the box. Does anyone know if S&W improved the triggers in the J Frames recently or did I just luck out?

greenlion
07-05-13, 16:07
I have had about three of each, 642 and 442's. The 442's triggers were always smoother than the 642's. I don't know why, but that has been my experience too. Maybe they have different steel inside ?? I dunno...

1022rimfire
07-24-13, 02:12
I handled a new M&P 340 today at the store and was surprised that it had a light, smooth trigger pull. I have other J-Frames and the one I tried today had a much better stock trigger than I've ever felt before.

I also wonder what S&W may be doing differently now... and I don't think you were imagining things.

Oro
07-24-13, 23:24
That's interesting to hear. Coincidentally, a friend and I were discussing J triggers last night and their difference.

Quite possibly S&W has finally lightened the ruger-esque coil spring (vs. the leaf they use in their other size revolvers). Or perhaps the rebound spring, or both. These have long been common mods to improve the trigger and can be done within modest bounds without compromising reliability.

kwelz
08-18-13, 17:20
I can tell you that my new 642 has a much better trigger than my 2 year old 442 did when I first got it. Nice enough that I am not worried about having any work done on it where the 442 was a must before it was usable.

Ron3
09-01-13, 22:54
The Ruger LCR has the best trigger I've ever felt on a snub revolver.

Good on S&W for improving theirs.

ST911
09-01-13, 23:50
Just handled several J-frames in a LGS. They were about the same as ever.

All of my regularly used J-frames get the Apex duty/carry kit.

aguila327
09-02-13, 00:04
I find that getting a good j frame trigger is just luck. I haven't bought one in 3 years but I've been an S&W revolver guy for 30 years now.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Crow Hunter
09-02-13, 08:44
Some are coming with Performance Center triggers in them.

I got one from my LGS. It had a tag on it specifying it.

It has an incredible trigger, especially for a J-Frame. Feels almost like my old well worn 686 Power Port.

My wife even likes it and she hates revolver triggers.

SteveS
09-03-13, 17:01
I have found out over the years that if there are several of the exact same firearms and you dry fire them, some will have nicer feeling triggers than others.