PDA

View Full Version : Cover Muzzle of HD Rifle

michael word
07-05-13, 16:21
I was wondering how many cover the muzzle of their HD rifle to keep dirt out of the bore and how it is covered?

C45P312
07-05-13, 17:28
What kind of home do you live in where dirt gets inside easily? Maybe an example of what you're worried about?

michael word
07-05-13, 17:34
What kind of home do you live in where dirt gets inside easily? Maybe an example of what you're worried about?

I live in a desert environment with a major dirt issue. If I leave my rifle sit for even a few days, I have to wipe it down and clean the bore to get dirt particles out.

Iraqgunz
07-05-13, 17:35
Never used one whether it was overseas or at home. I don't jam my muzzle in the dirt on a regular basis and if it happens on the range or training so be it.

Iraqgunz
07-05-13, 17:36
Do you store them outside or live in a sandbox? Just curious because I lived very close to Bakersfield and I live in the desert now and don't have these issues.

Trying to figure out the context here.

I live in a desert environment with a major dirt issue. If I leave my rifle sit for even a few days, I have to wipe it down and clean the bore to get dirt particles out.

michael word
07-05-13, 17:51
Do you store them outside or live in a sandbox? Just curious because I lived very close to Bakersfield and I live in the desert now and don't have these issues.

Trying to figure out the context here.

You could say I live in a sandbox. My house is in the middle of an arid and barren field and keep my windows and back door always open for pets and ventilation with my rifle sitting next to an open window.

Moose-Knuckle
07-05-13, 18:09
Prophylactics have been used to cover muzzles since at least WWII, but if you don't want a rubber hanging off your muzzle shoot through caps and even duct tape do the trick as well.

ColtSeavers
07-05-13, 18:30
https://www.m4carbine.net/archive/index.php/t-39749.html

Will add, spare 'lost partner' sock.

Moose-Knuckle
07-05-13, 18:36
Will add, spare 'lost partner' sock.

This was my father's use for them as well, I use my mismatched socks as cleaning/rags.

NeoNeanderthal
07-05-13, 19:37
Not to disagree with many on this thread... but why WOULDNT you cover the muzzle? What is the con? I always keep mine covered and just take it off when i go to shoot the gun. You can buy shoot through muzzle protectors. OR you can use duct tape. I make a cap. Sticky side out on the duct tape, then a second layer sticky side in so that i can slide it on and off for cleaning or whatever. do it

Big L.E.E.
07-05-13, 19:40
DSG Arms has muzzle covers (http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/RCL10B.aspx). The red ones are out of stock.

Berserkr556
07-05-13, 20:45
DSG Arms has muzzle covers (http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/RCL10B.aspx). The red ones are out of stock.

This is what I use. It keeps dust and spiders out of the bore. You can have the cleanest home and dust or spiders will still accumulate in your bore if the firearm is kept muzzle up. I've seen alot of firearms that were stored muzzle up with pitting at the muzzle end of the bore from dust. Sure it's harder for this to happen with a chrome lined bore but I'd rather spend a few pennies on the cap and not worry about dust or spiders.

C45P312
07-05-13, 21:56
Not to disagree with many on this thread... but why WOULDNT you cover the muzzle? What is the con? I always keep mine covered and just take it off when i go to shoot the gun. You can buy shoot through muzzle protectors. OR you can use duct tape. I make a cap. Sticky side out on the duct tape, then a second layer sticky side in so that i can slide it on and off for cleaning or whatever. do it

Why wouldn't I? Because I simply don't need it. It isn't necessary for me to cover my HD carbine muzzle because I confirm zero on it every month, perform PM on her every month which usually just consist of lube, and I simply don't allow anything to accumulate in the muzzle because I live indoors.

What kind of muzzle cover do you use on your pistol?!

sjc3081
07-05-13, 22:51
I use one of those cheap plastic muzzle covers on my HD M-4 carbine. The reason I use it is because my flash hider is scratching the paint on the wall of my master bedroom closet.

Ready.Fire.Aim
07-06-13, 00:25
I keep an AR15 SBR in a DuHa under-seat lockbox in my truck.

I tape the muzzle with blue painters tape. Also keep the rifle in a gun sock. I dont want spiders, insects, or dirt in the rifle.

I have done several tests shooting the tape off of the muzzle, with no problems.

Good luck
RFA

ICANHITHIMMAN
07-06-13, 07:24
I use one of those cheap plastic muzzle covers on my HD M-4 carbine. The reason I use it is because my flash hider is scratching the paint on the wall of my master bedroom closet.

Hay that's actually a good point about the paint, I never considered that. I had one of those black muzzle covers on my rifle on my first tour it did not last long and I never bothered to replace it. I really would not worry about dust in the bore, you can just turn this rifle upside down you know?

I due put black electrical tape over the muzzle of my muzzle loader when I'm hunting, to keep out the weather.

muldoon
07-06-13, 09:38
Prophylactics have been used to cover muzzles since at least WWII, but if you don't want a rubber hanging off your muzzle shoot through caps and even duct tape do the trick as well.

I've done this while hunting and works fine. Hard to beat duct tape :D I believe the condom idea is for beating something else :lol:

Sentaruu
07-06-13, 11:21
I would use painters tape, something with a lighter adhesive since it's just sitting around. duct tape would be more for frolicking through the dunes or jungle enviornment

AKDoug
07-06-13, 13:14
If your rifle won't function full of spider shit and field dust it's time for a new choice in weapons.

Sent from my iPhone on tapatalk

midSCarolina
07-06-13, 15:28
I don't see it being necessary to cover the muzzle. Keep it muzzle down and it shouldn't have any dust settling in it.

Also I hope an intruder doesn't decide to come through that open window you're talking about :ph34r:

midSCarolina
07-06-13, 15:31

Tell me about it

http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/k558/thornejc23/MRPa.jpg

Sanpete
07-06-13, 20:56
Foam ear plugs work well. Compress, insert, amd they expand and hold well. They blast out easily too.