PDA

View Full Version : Reloading questions

97th Signalman
04-10-08, 17:43
I am going to be reloading .223 (and occasionally 5.56) for my two Bushmaster AR's. I have two questions:

1. Should I use RCBS Full Length resizing dies or Small base dies?

2. Should I use Hard Military Sensativity primers like CCI # 41, or standard small rifle primers like CCI or Winchester?

Steve in PA
04-10-08, 17:58
1) I use the RCBS FL dies, specifically the X-Die for reloading my M4.

2) I also use the standard CCI SR 400 primers.

I also use the same equipment for reloading .30/06 loads for my M1 Garand. Of course the primers are CCI 200's and the die is for .30/06 but I have several thousand reloads of both calibers and have had no problems or issues.

Kurt Reifert
04-11-08, 06:44
Small base or X die should be used for any semi-auto reloading.
The X die resizes the brass in a manner that eliminates case trimming after the initial trim.
I like to use Remington 7 1/2 primers.

tjcoker
04-11-08, 09:50
I've been using Winchester Large Rifle Primers without issue.

Kurt Reifert
04-11-08, 16:02
I've been using Winchester Large Rifle Primers without issue.

I'm hoping you meant to type "small rifle primers."
The large ones are tough to get into those holes. ;-)

eightmillimeter
04-12-08, 17:43
1) Full length resizing dies will serve you just fine, I have used RCBS but I use Redding now. The X dies are based on a sound idea but you don't need them and here's why; when it comes time to trim the brass for a second time, you are getting close to the end of the service life of your brass. The brass is the weakest part of the cartridge and yet the most important, don't push it by trying to reload that case one more time. Case failure ALWAYS ends bad. That said I can usually get about 8 loads out of my brass before I have to toss them. You don't need small base dies either, I have never yet seen a rifle that required them but hey yours could be the first I guess.

2) You do not have to use a Mil-Spec primer like the CCI41 but it doesn't hurt either. If you can get them for the same price then there is no reason to avoid them but remember they are a "magnum" primer. I use CCI primers almost exclusively. CCI and Remington primers are the hardest and Federal and Winchester are on the softer end. Your chances of a slam fire shooting an AR are slim, the firing pin just doesn't have a lot mass on it's own so like I said, the chances are slim anyway.

3) If you are just starting to reload for this caliber then stick to 223 stats and data. There is no commercial data for loading 5.56 performance level ammunition and the people who do it correctly pay very close attention to case life, quality of components, and they pay even closer attention to their chronograph. Your brass will last longer and more likely your ammo will shoot more consistently if you just stick to a decent 223 load.

Good Luck
8mm