PDA

View Full Version : Flash Suppressor Issue

scrapperwp
07-05-13, 19:20
Hey brand new to this forum, this is actually my first post, thanks for having me! So my question is...changed the barrel on my colt 6920 and put in a 14.5" socom barrel. I used the stock A2 flash suppressor and washer that came with the rifle, however when I spin it on the new barrel it tightens with the vents facing downward. There is zero play, I am unable to spin it 180 degrees and if I loosen it 180 then it is loose. What should I do?

jwperry
07-05-13, 19:24
Welcome to the forum...

First, if you're trying to reuse the used washer, don't. It is done.

Second, if you're trying to spin on the FH with a new washer you need to crush it...hence why they are called crush washers. It is supposed to be difficult.

jaxman7
07-05-13, 19:30
Welcome to the forum...

First, if you're trying to reuse the used washer, don't. It is done.

Second, if you're trying to spin on the FH with a new washer you need to crush it...hence why they are called crush washers. It is supposed to be difficult.

Yep. If you are using an old one trash it. Get a new one and turn it 90 degrees and then back it off. Rinse repeat until you get the desired orientation. Key is to back it off. Don't just put in on the barrel and think it'll just turn automatically to your desired spot.

-Jax

Iraqgunz
07-05-13, 19:59
Crush washers are one time use. Once you have secured a crush washer, put some anti-seize on the threads. Then slowly tighten the crush washer. If you meet alot of resistance, then back it off a little and then tighten until it is timed correctly.

There is no torque value when installing any flash hider with a crush washer.

TOM1911
07-05-13, 20:06
you may want to reconsider using a stock A2 FH with that 14.5 barrel.. you're delving into NFA territory without an SBR stamp. An A2X permed will keep you out of trouble.

mdrums
07-05-13, 20:45
This thread comes at a timely manner for me. My Colt 6920 came with accessories at the shop and it has a VLTOR flash hider on it. I was thinking of putting the stock A2 flash hidder back on. Looks like I will need to stop by the gun shop and get a new crush washer. Do you all think the stock A2 flash hider is a better idea than the VLTOR version that is a more open birdcage type of deal?

thanks!

texasgunhand
07-06-13, 00:09
I also was thinking about some NFA SBR problems. You might wana make sure the barrel totals 16 inches or its a short barrel rifle.
Which could land you in jail...