PDA

View Full Version : my first post.. question about magazines

dsonyay
07-05-13, 20:30
I own a WW HBC. I'm looking to add some additional magazines. My factory mag is fine; Windham supplies good magazines.

I'd like to add another 30 round mag and two 20 rounders.

I like to shoot with 20 round mags because the shorter length seems to work better when shooting on the bench. Also, I've read that twenty round magazines are more dependable due to them being the original design and the rounds dont have to deal with the curve of a 30 rounder. I wanted to use them for my self defense mags as well.

Since Magpul 30 rounders seem to be such a.popular.mag, I'm assuming their 20 rd mags are as dependable.

_Stormin_
07-05-13, 20:32
Your assumption would be correct.

RMiller
07-05-13, 20:38
It doesn't get much better than PMags.

GH41
07-05-13, 20:39
Stand by! GH

polymorpheous
07-05-13, 20:46
Straight bodied 20 round PMags have been known to have issues.

Use the orange search button up on the top of the screen.

Wake27
07-05-13, 20:46
I think the reliability thing is a bit out-dated, especially when looking at PMAGs.

polymorpheous
07-05-13, 20:52
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=124724
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=59448
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=131227
https://www.m4carbine.net/archive/index.php/t-103481.html
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?p=1648932

NeoNeanderthal
07-05-13, 20:54
You have it completely opposite. In general- 30 round mags are more reliable than 20 rounders.

Get 30 round pmags for home defense. You will be all set.

Moose-Knuckle
07-05-13, 21:01
NHMTG/Okay twenty and thirty rounders are USGI and also make mags for Colt.

Magpul followers and in stock $13.99.
http://www.44mag.com/category/nhmtg

Iraqgunz
07-05-13, 21:09
Unless the 20 round magazines are a requirement it makes no sense to purchase them since they usually cost as much as a 30 rounder. I have mostly PMAGs with a miX of USGI aluminum and some Lancer AWMs. Personally I would buy as many magazines as you can afford.

Blak1508
07-05-13, 21:13
OP, only way to tell if they work well in your AR is to run them in your AR. Magpul makes quality equipment, I run the 20 & 30s without a thought. In the rare case I have had an issue I mark the mag, majority if not all of the time it's been an issue with the ammo or me more so then the Mags. Simple answers like this can be answered using the search for future reference. Every time I thought I had a unique or creative question, I quickly became disappointed on this forum, it's been asked or discussed before, in most cases more then twice.
I feel that both are great mags and do not specifically have a preference, it may depend on the situation.

And what IG said... Buy buy buy them...repeat :)

bulbvivid
07-05-13, 22:32
OP- One thing to keep in mind, magazines are expendable. Unless you treat them with kid gloves or rarely use them, they're going to eventually get jacked up for whatever reason. With that in mind, look at getting multiple 30 rd. mags, especially in light of what will now likely be a constant fight for their legality. Consider having at least 10 or more for each gun. PMAGS are good but sometimes fail; GI mags from reputable manufacturers are good, but they too sometimes fail. It doesn't hurt to have both.

Unless the 20 round magazines are a requirement it makes no sense to purchase them since they usually cost as much as a 30 rounder.

I keep a couple around for the rare occasion I want to shoot off bags on a bench—they're handy at least for that. I've also used them in 3-gun matches for various reasons, like in a stage that required prone position without any mechanical support (e.g., no magazine monopod). For the most part, though, they are rarely used.

ucrt
07-05-13, 23:03
I own a WW HBC. I'm looking to add some additional magazines. My factory mag is fine; Windham supplies good magazines.

=============================

What are the markings on the Windham? Are there numbers (CAGE code) on the mag sides?

Like stated earlier, buy Okay, NHMTG, and/or Colt and P-Mags, if you can get them in the $12 range.

Remember that Mags are disposable and a weak spot in AR reliability.

...But maybe it's me...

texasgunhand
07-06-13, 00:00
I think the windham mags. are made by d&h and have the magpul followers.

Obscenejesster
07-06-13, 00:00
The new Lancers are the only mags I've never had fail on any of my rifles. That being said, the rifle under my bed sports a Lancer.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

ucrt
07-06-13, 00:44
I think the windham mags. are made by d&h and have the magpul followers.

Thanks.
I've never seen D&H's with Magpul followers. Maybe added by a vendor or someone but not stock.

But maybe it's just me...

bulbvivid
07-06-13, 01:05

Thanks.
I've never seen D&H's with Magpul followers. Maybe added by a vendor or someone but not stock.

But maybe it's just me...

Nearly every D&H sold by Widener's has a Magpul follower:

http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=100001116&dir=625|1056|1058

http://www.wideners.com/itemview.cfm?dir=625|1056|1058

KUSA
07-06-13, 01:20
Unless the 20 round magazines are a requirement it makes no sense to purchase them since they usually cost as much as a 30 rounder.

20 rounders make sense if you shoot prone or on a bench.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2.

lunchbox
07-06-13, 02:38

I'd like to add another 30 round mag and two 20 rounders.

I like to shoot with 20 round mags because the shorter length seems to work better when shooting on the bench. Also, I've read that twenty round magazines are more dependable due to them being the original design and the rounds dont have to deal with the curve of a 30 rounder. I wanted to use them for my self defense mags as well.

Since Magpul 30 rounders seem to be such a.popular.mag, I'm assuming their 20 rd mags are as dependable.Well as for self-defense, not sure why one would want 20rds rather than 30. Speaking from personal experiences have had various types of 20rds (metal org./Pmags gen_/cheap-o thermamold maybe dunno) all failed. None have been reliable in a Mega, Riflegear(mega), PSA lower. As some mentioned prob why they changed from 20rds. Having multiple various problems (not just 1, with certain mag/lower combo) I've since given/traded away all my 20rds. Have had more reliable results with 5rd mags, and they dont get in way on the bench.
BUT practice from bench is not substitute for rifle training/manipulations for SD/HD .Sounds like you shoot more from bench than standing/freehand. That might not give best results if HD is of interest. Try a couple drills and break routine and shooting skills will improve.. Martial arts, working out wouldn't hurt either. Its a lot easier to (if had to) fight your way to a gun, if you can kick some ass on the way there.

Shooting from bench should be for your reloads(learn to reload, if dont know how, info is in here). One could hand feed reloaded rounds, tailored to rifle EX: powder/bullet combo, longer OAL (less jump to grooves) less neck tension/etc; than can get with factory ammo limited to mag length. They have single shot sled for AR mag if not mistaken too. Just thought on bench shooting.

aguila327
07-06-13, 03:08

They also make sense when you csrry them on your belt along with everything else the dept. wants you to carry:-(

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

dsonyay
07-06-13, 05:32
I also mentioned I like the twenty rounders because shooting from the bench was more comfortable.

But I kind of wondered if the reliability issue was more of a thing of the past too.

I'll likely buy the Pmags.

Years ago I shot lot of rifle matches and twenty round mags were what I used mostly.I had read they were more reliable and it stayed with me all this time.

Thanks!

Korgs130
07-06-13, 09:30
I have a couple of 20rd PMAGs and have never had an issue with them. That said I prefer the 30 round PMAGS.

DSG Arms has black GEN M2 PMAGs in stock for $12.25 a piece.

http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/MAG571-BLK.aspx

muldoon
07-06-13, 09:34
I think the reliability thing is a bit out-dated, especially when looking at PMAGs.

This nails it.

d90king
07-06-13, 10:10
I use a mix of Colt USGI's, Pmags, SF 60's and even some HK's, (I don't recommend them at the price though) they have all proven to be reliable...

I would suggest getting away from shooting exclusively from a bench and start training with your rifle properly. Train with it in ways that you might end up using it. If you want to shoot supported, that is fine, but hit the deck and work from the ground. You can use your range bag, magazine or even a sand bag if it's really needed.

Warp
07-06-13, 14:18
I bought one 20 round Gen2 magpul PMAG (FDE) before I started seeing intermittent reports of people having failures with them. Generally it was a failure to lock the bolt back on the empty mag, or a failure to feed. The FTF was often with the second to last round out of the magazine.

As a result of what I read I decided to only use my 20 round PMAG at the range. While using it last year I had a failure to feed of the second to last round. (the only malfunction of any kind I had yet had with the Rifle in over 2k rounds)

I have since traded that magazine away and have yet to encounter any other malfunction of any kind.

When people ask me I recommend all 30 round PMAGs and the new Gen3 20 round PMAGs (though hardly anybody has experience with them, they finally went with the constant curve design that looks like it is basically a cut-down 30 rounder so I'll bet they are good).

I personally went with NHMTG for my 20 round magazine needs. They are lighter, shorter, and by ALL accounts feed beautifully and are extremely reliable. Not quite as tough/durable as a PMAG, but they do the job.

RogerinTPA
07-06-13, 14:35

Different strokes. Seeing this is not a bench shooting fudd forum, most would disagree. IMHO, if you use 20's in a carbine course, you will be way behind the power curve. If you are like most shooters outside of M4C (Don't bother to seek professional training, think all ARs are the same, think of your stock AR as a precision weapon), NHMTG 20 rounders from 44mag is the best bet.

Warp
07-06-13, 14:39

For me, 30 rounders make sense for shooting prone. They represent an instant, free, no-added-weight, pretty-much-always-there monopod.

Obscenejesster
07-06-13, 15:01
For me, 30 rounders make sense for shooting prone. They represent an instant, free, no-added-weight, pretty-much-always-there monopod.

Yea, that's exactly what I've always thought. A 30 rounder with a Ranger Plate creates a pretty good platform when shooting prone.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

dsonyay
07-06-13, 22:24
I use a mix of Colt USGI's, Pmags, SF 60's and even some HK's, (I don't recommend them at the price though) they have all proven to be reliable...

I would suggest getting away from shooting exclusively from a bench and start training with your rifle properly. Train with it in ways that you might end up using it. If you want to shoot supported, that is fine, but hit the deck and work from the ground. You can use your range bag, magazine or even a sand bag if it's really needed.

That's a good tip. Thanks. I've been doing a lot of bench shooting lately just to get it sighted in and seeing how well it can shoot.

I plan to do what you recommend.

pinzgauer
07-06-13, 22:53
That's a good tip. Thanks. I've been doing a lot of bench shooting lately just to get it sighted in and seeing how well it can shoot.

I keep some ratty 20 round mags around for bench shooting, but it's more fun to get that AR off the bench unless you are playing SPR stuff.

BTW, using the 30 round as a mono-pod is now considered acceptable in the army training apparently. (At least when my son when through) I always considered it a bad habit.

kest_01
07-06-13, 23:13
I have a dozen Gen 2 20 rd PMAGS never an issue with any of them. With that being said, use my 30rd mags almost exclusively, even when in the prone, using the mag as a monopod won't cause any issues(old school army training be damned). Whatever mag you use, mark it cause when( all mags **** up eventually) it shits the bed you know the cause of the problem you can shit can it

jc000
07-07-13, 07:06
Use the orange search button up on the top of the screen.

+infinity