PDA

View Full Version : Sig 551 552 553 custom Aimpoint Micro mount

jsbsmarine
07-05-13, 20:48
Gents,
After recently acquring a Sig 551-2SP and a 553, I've been looking for a way to mount an Aimpoint Micro (in this case an R-1 being that I stocked up on them cheap) but haven't been able to locate a B&T picatinny top rail mount since they're out of stock everywhere. Finally I got in touch with Estes Adams, apparently a well known gentleman who custom fabricates lots of accessories and parts for the Swiss Sig rifle series, especially the older 550s and what not. We discussed my needs, I wanted a low profile mount that could hold an aimpoint micro. I already have a factory swiss mount for stanag but that places a rail too high and would require a cheekrest. Pointless IMO.
He suggested using a Trijicon RX18 mount (a piece made for attaching the reflex sights onto the Sig 55X series) as a base and then custom milling it to accept the factory Aimpoint micro mount. I sent him my R-1 micro (as he already had a RX18 base) and less than a week later, he sent me back a beautiful, sturdy mount that allows my Aimpoint to lower 1/3 cowitness with the factory Swiss diopter sights.
Needless to say I love it.
Mr. Adams milled the mount to allow the micro to mount in three possible positions, all in the front half of the mount. Although the micro is already in a lower 1/3 cowitness, the way the mount was milled would allow for factory spacers to be placed in if one wanted to raise the height of the optic.
Locks up great, it has kept it zero so far for 400 rounds and two range sessions.
As I shoot this more I'll try to add any other things I notice.
Quick side note, the Tangodown IO covers work well with the custom base (and hide that nasty silver color the R1s come with).
However, the KAC aimpoint micro cap I put on really sticks out like a sore thumb and gets in the way of the charging handle; in fact I already scraped my thumb twice trying to rack the bolt both under the gun and over the gun. I think I'll be removing it and putting a factory cap back on (Placed it on to remove the ugly silver cap and add an extra battery)
Anyway, thank you Mr. Adams for making this possible. For those also considering this mod, feel free to contact me and I'll shoot you his email. Cost was minimal and well worth it!

JoshNC
07-05-13, 23:08
Very cool. I need to drop Estes an email. Looks like a nice solution. I do find SIG and HK "ringed" front sights to be a bit distracting when used with a co-witnessed red dot; I just need a bit more time behind mine.

jsbsmarine
07-05-13, 23:25
Thanks!
Like I mentioned, it came out to a lower 1/3 cowitness so the second picture is kinda off on how it really looks, the front ring isn't too bad and you can always throw on a really low riser if need be; and I feel you on HK's hooded sights getting in the way. I have a UMP conversion where the front hood reallly gets in the way of the micro. Been tempted to chop the top half off many times.
If you need Estes' email let me know, apparently he changed it a few years ago so theres an older one floating around that he no longer responds too.

JoshNC
07-06-13, 09:04
Thanks!
Like I mentioned, it came out to a lower 1/3 cowitness so the second picture is kinda off on how it really looks, the front ring isn't too bad and you can always throw on a really low riser if need be; and I feel you on HK's hooded sights getting in the way. I have a UMP conversion where the front hood reallly gets in the way of the micro. Been tempted to chop the top half off many times.
If you need Estes' email let me know, apparently he changed it a few years ago so theres an older one floating around that he no longer responds too.

I will have to play around with my 551 and T1. I have B&T rail on mine. I have Estes' runbox email addy, which as of a few months ago was correct. Has it changed?

jsbsmarine
07-06-13, 14:20
That's the right one sir.

SteyrAUG
07-08-13, 03:20
This is interesting.

Instead of making EOtechs shorter I wish they'd find a way to make them flatter.

Right now when I put red dots on my UMP or SIG 55X rifles I either have to jack them way to high with a see through mount which gives me a very obscured iron sight back up picture with a way too high red dot or I have to block my iron sights with my red dot.

Neither is an ideal setup.

JoshNC
07-08-13, 07:31
This is interesting.

Instead of making EOtechs shorter I wish they'd find a way to make them flatter.

Right now when I put red dots on my UMP or SIG 55X rifles I either have to jack them way to high with a see through mount which gives me a very obscured iron sight back up picture with a way too high red dot or I have to block my iron sights with my red dot.

Neither is an ideal setup.

An EoTech on a Swiss SIG?!!! That's like putting turd flavored sauce on a Mortens steak. :)

SteyrAUG
07-08-13, 17:53
An EoTech on a Swiss SIG?!!! That's like putting turd flavored sauce on a Mortens steak. :)

I don't do well with tube style red dots. And never had a problem with an EO.

JoshNC
07-08-13, 19:40
I don't do well with tube style red dots. And never had a problem with an EO.

I jest. About half of my shooting buddies run Eos, the other half Aimpoints. Always a running heckling.

I do agree with you on the height. Would be nice if they had a lower Eotech that was better suited to platforms other than the AR.

armakraut
07-09-13, 21:25
Recommend an RM06 RMR steyr. Has 4yrs of battery life, and at least two industry professionals with less than optimal vision clarity use them in lieu of aimpoints.

armakraut
07-09-13, 21:38
Neit Arms in Canada used to make a 55X rail with an integrated micro base also. I think they merged with another company and no longer do any SIG stuff.

SteyrAUG
07-10-13, 00:20
Recommend an RM06 RMR steyr. Has 4yrs of battery life, and at least two industry professionals with less than optimal vision clarity use them in lieu of aimpoints.

Thanks, I'll look into that.

Chuckie1
07-30-13, 17:00
Gents,
After recently acquring a Sig 551-2SP and a 553, I've been looking for a way to mount an Aimpoint Micro (in this case an R-1 being that I stocked up on them cheap) but haven't been able to locate a B&T picatinny top rail mount since they're out of stock everywhere. Finally I got in touch with Estes Adams, apparently a well known gentleman who custom fabricates lots of accessories and parts for the Swiss Sig rifle series, especially the older 550s and what not. We discussed my needs, I wanted a low profile mount that could hold an aimpoint micro. I already have a factory swiss mount for stanag but that places a rail too high and would require a cheekrest. Pointless IMO.
He suggested using a Trijicon RX18 mount (a piece made for attaching the reflex sights onto the Sig 55X series) as a base and then custom milling it to accept the factory Aimpoint micro mount. I sent him my R-1 micro (as he already had a RX18 base) and less than a week later, he sent me back a beautiful, sturdy mount that allows my Aimpoint to lower 1/3 cowitness with the factory Swiss diopter sights.
Needless to say I love it.
Mr. Adams milled the mount to allow the micro to mount in three possible positions, all in the front half of the mount. Although the micro is already in a lower 1/3 cowitness, the way the mount was milled would allow for factory spacers to be placed in if one wanted to raise the height of the optic.
Locks up great, it has kept it zero so far for 400 rounds and two range sessions.
As I shoot this more I'll try to add any other things I notice.
Quick side note, the Tangodown IO covers work well with the custom base (and hide that nasty silver color the R1s come with).
However, the KAC aimpoint micro cap I put on really sticks out like a sore thumb and gets in the way of the charging handle; in fact I already scraped my thumb twice trying to rack the bolt both under the gun and over the gun. I think I'll be removing it and putting a factory cap back on (Placed it on to remove the ugly silver cap and add an extra battery)
Anyway, thank you Mr. Adams for making this possible. For those also considering this mod, feel free to contact me and I'll shoot you his email. Cost was minimal and well worth it!

What is the hardware attached to your trigger guard?

jsbsmarine
07-31-13, 21:31
Ah,
That my friends is crazy California compliance crap, otherwise known as a bullet button. Just don't ask, it makes me sad everytime I look at it. :cray: