PDA

View Full Version : Question about CAR stock

magsig
04-10-08, 21:46
I'm looking to replace the M4 style stock on my soon to be delivered Colt 6520 with an old style CAR stock. Is there anything I should know about the CAR stock before I buy? I think SAW may have an original Colt part...but is the Colt part better than other no-name "copies"? I have found a couple of knock-off or no-name CAR stocks online for around $40...they come with tube and spring...I just want the stock...does anyone know where I can get just the stock? Also, since the Colt rifle comes with a mil-spec buffer tube, is there a problem using a non-Colt part? Thanks

Eric
04-10-08, 23:10
The folks at Magpul have created a great document to address the milspec (as in Colt) vs commercial/non-milspec receiver extensions. http://magpul.com/pdfs/technotes/ctr/buffertubeid.pdf

Most of the aftermarket no-Colt CAR stocks are for commercial tubes and are of questionable quality.

magsig
04-10-08, 23:25
Thanks

CHoffman
04-10-08, 23:52
Commercial stocks have a very sloppy fit on mil-spec receiver extensions and I am willing to be all the ones you are finding are commercial ones. CMT/Stag sells a mil-spec version but includes all the parts you won't need. I believe Bravo Co. has some used Colt stocks in their clearance section but are in their words 'well used'. If you can't tell I am also looking for a mil-spec car stock (stock only). I also think Numerich and Brownells may carry the factory Colt CAR stock (new?) without all the stuff you don't need. I'll probably pick up the CMT/Stag version as I may use the buffer tube on my other AR. Not sure yet though. I also notice some online mil-surp stores get some in decent shape from time to time. Anyway good luck with your search. Hope I was at least some help.

magsig
04-12-08, 09:33
Hey CHoffman thanks, I think I've found one at Brownells.