PDA

View Full Version : SEEKING GLOCK 26 INFO.

dpast32
07-07-13, 07:37
Hello Guys,

I picked up an " as new" Glock 26, with the serial # of TDG-7XX. As I am a recently retired LEO, the dealer wasn't sure if I could just walk out with, or had to wait the 7 days. I really didn't need it right away, so told him I would wait, just to be sure. As I left the gun in the shop, I neglected to look at the fired case date, so I'm relying upon it's serial # prefix to determine it's approximate date of manufacture. If anyone has an idea as to when the TDG prefix was used, I'd really appreciate hearing from them. Also, does anyone have a firm answer to if a retired LEO ( with full cred's & ID, etc. ) has to wait the waiting period, or is exempt from it ? Does it go by state law, or federal ? ( I'm in RI ) I carry under HR218, & qualify yearly with one of my old Dept.'s firearms inst.'s. I really don't waiting if that's the way it is, but after 31 years of just walking out with the weapon, it's kind of funny to have to wait, especially since I'm legally carrying a concealed handgun while filling out the paperwork ? Any thoughts or comments will be very much appreciated. THANK YOU

Regards, dpast32 ( dpast32@aol.com )

Psalms144.1
07-07-13, 08:33
Brother - that serial number range puts it as produced somewhere in the late May, eary June 2012 range, from what I've seen.

WRT waiting periods, I know that in FL, even as a full time active Federal LEO, I still had to wait three work days to take home a pistol until I went ahead and got my CHL. I have NO idea what the deal is in RI, but, if it's anywhere near as communist a state as NY, I'm surprised you can still buy a pistol at all!

As far as HR 218 goes, it applies nation-wide, BUT, there are different interpretations of the law in different places. For instance, NYC is notorious for hassling anyone with a pistol, and there are places you can't go with a pistol AT ALL, like the WTC memorial. (And again, that doesn't matter if your active or retired, just can't go in there - UNTIL we throw Bloomberg out, at least). Likewise most Federal buildings, not worth the hassle.

There are several good HR 218 references on the web, I'd recommend googling it and doing some reading. I'm 8 years away from retirement myself, so it hasn't been that big of a priority for me, yet...

Regards,

Kevin

ST911
07-07-13, 09:07
If your state law offers an LE, CCW, or NICS exemption to a waiting period, you don't have to wait. If not, you do.

Even if you carry under LEOSA, I recommend that officers get a CCW from their home state, as well as a UT or FL. If you travel and have LE contact, you'll sometimes find it's less confusing to simply present a qualifying permit than LEOSA. LEOSA is not universally understood or appreciated, sad as that is.

Your gun was manufactured somewhere in the bottom half of 2012. I have S, T, and U- alphas from that time period.

Voodoo_Man
07-07-13, 09:26
I have a glock 26 from around the same time period, a gen4. No issues with it.

As for LEOSHA/HR218, do yourself a favor and print out what HR218 actually says, from one of these:

http://www.fop.net/legislative/issues/hr218/hr218faq.pdf

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-108hr218enr/pdf/BILLS-108hr218enr.pdf

http://le.nra.org/leosa.aspx

Carry them around with you when you are carrying outside of your state, specifically in areas you would not be able to carry in otherwise. While it may not do much, at least you have something the officer can reference when he/she comes in contact with you - better something than nothing - and some officers have no idea what it is.

ggammell
07-07-13, 09:38
Stand by. I've got a good source that I'm waiting for a response from.

ggammell
07-07-13, 10:13
Edit: you may have to wait. My source didn't read the retired part.

platoonDaddy
07-07-13, 10:15
Great source for serial numbers etc.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1287557

jlw
07-07-13, 10:39
Does the waiting period in RI apply to those with a carry license/permit?

dpast32
07-07-13, 14:27
THANK YOU, to all who have replied to my query, I really appreciate the input. Hopefully, this new Glock will prove to be trouble free, but I won't be satisfied until I've run a few rounds through it. I've got plenty of carry guns, but I've always regretted selling my old G-26 to a co-worker many years ago. When I saw this one, sitting all alone in the dealer's case, I just couldn't pass it up. It appears unfired, complete with 2 mags, all papers, fired case & gun lock. It ran me $450 total, with tax included. I could have ordered a
Glock "blue label" for $425 + $15 shipping + sales tax, but you know what they say about "a bird in the bush". BTW, I'm going to delve further into the retired LEO & waiting period issue. However, it appears that anytime someone is looking for a firm determination of a firearms related legal issue, you just can't get a final decision !! ( Especially from the AG's office) Sooooo, until I can find out for sure, I will just wait like everyone else. THANKS again !

Best, dpast32