PDA

View Full Version : MPR bolt marking

ABNAK
07-07-13, 08:55
A little while back I bought two USGI bolts from Specialized Armament. They are marked MPR. According to "The Black Rifle II" that R indicates Rock Island. Does this mean Rock Island merely proofs these from the OEM or actually produces them?

Iraqgunz
07-07-13, 14:10
To my knowledge they are military contract bolts. I have one of them, as well as an FN bolt.

ABNAK
07-07-13, 14:31
To my knowledge they are military contract bolts. I have one of them, as well as an FN bolt.

Yeah, SA advertised them as USGI (not Colt per se) on their website. Hey, if it is a military contract bolt then it meets mil-spec same as a Colt/DD/BCM etc.

Just for grins the sealed clear plastic bags they came in are labeled as follows:

MIL-DTL-117H
TY III-CLB-STII
EDCO 12/08

Iraqgunz
07-07-13, 14:42
Those numbers refer to the storage bags and not the bolt itself. The company is EDCO storage or something like that.

Yeah, SA advertised them as USGI (not Colt per se) on their website. Hey, if it is a military contract bolt then it meets mil-spec same as a Colt/DD/BCM etc.

Just for grins the sealed clear plastic bags they came in are labeled as follows:

MIL-DTL-117H
TY III-CLB-STII
EDCO 12/08

ABNAK
07-08-13, 08:28
IG,

Do you know offhand if Rock Island is/was actually making the bolts or just "proofing" them for another manufacturer? Obviously the ones marked MPC or MPF are proofed but also made by Colt and FN respectively.....just curious about Rock Island.

Iraqgunz
07-09-13, 02:16
I found something on the net that is alleged to have come from "Black Rifles II" and it states that the MPR is manufactured by Rock Island Arsenal. I can buy this since they are also a proponent for the MILSPEC gages that I have seen. Not all, but some.

IG,

Do you know offhand if Rock Island is/was actually making the bolts or just "proofing" them for another manufacturer? Obviously the ones marked MPC or MPF are proofed but also made by Colt and FN respectively.....just curious about Rock Island.

ABNAK
07-09-13, 12:26
I found something on the net that is alleged to have come from "Black Rifles II" and it states that the MPR is manufactured by Rock Island Arsenal. I can buy this since they are also a proponent for the MILSPEC gages that I have seen. Not all, but some.

According to Wiki, among other responsibilities Rock Island is a manufacturing facility for the armed forces. Kinda makes it like the old (original) Springfield Armory in that regard I guess.

I find this fascinating, as I was under the impression that nowadays small arms stuff was manufactured for the government on contract to commercial firms, not actually made by the government. Learn something new every day.

So now we have another entity to add to the list of manufacturers of mil-spec USGI bolts for the military. Colt, FN, CMT, and now Rock Island.....wonder who else?

Col_Crocs
07-09-13, 15:37
There's also Tool Craft, IINM. Their BCGs are marked with their cage code: 1B1B6

K.L. Davis
07-09-13, 16:58
Those numbers refer to the storage bags and not the bolt itself. The company is EDCO storage or something like that.
MilSpec Heat Seal Bags! (http://www.edcosupply.com/)