PDA

View Full Version : sight zero inconsistencies

roar
04-11-08, 00:38
Recently I replaced a folding GG&G BUIS with an LMT iron sight, and the zeros are way different.

The rear aperture on my older GG&G BUIS was nearly in the center, while on my new LMT sight I needed to move the aperture almost all the way to the left in order to zero my rifle. Yes, my rifle is now zeroed and still works fine, however it is a little odd how a new sight would have such a variance in the rear aperture position.

I read that it is a possibility that an improperly torqued barrel could cause this, but I don't see how this could be a possibility considering that my older BUIS had a nearly centered rear aperture.

Does anyone have any insight or possible fixes for this? My carbine is all LMT.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

AR15AK47USER
04-11-08, 00:59
Could be a bent barrel too. One of my first ARs was a OlyArms and I could not get on paper at 25 yards with the rear sight cranked all the way over. Took it back to the shop and they replaced the entire upper, faster for them then just replacing barrel. One thing I do have to say about OlyArms, their customer service is first class, now if only their QA was as good.......

Gunfighter13
04-11-08, 01:04
Recently I replaced a folding GG&G BUIS with an LMT iron sight, and the zeros are way different.

The rear aperture on my older GG&G BUIS was nearly in the center, while on my new LMT sight I needed to move the aperture almost all the way to the left in order to zero my rifle. Yes, my rifle is now zeroed and still works fine, however it is a little odd how a new sight would have such a variance in the rear aperture position.

I read that it is a possibility that an improperly torqued barrel could cause this, but I don't see how this could be a possibility considering that my older BUIS had a nearly centered rear aperture.

Does anyone have any insight or possible fixes for this? My carbine is all LMT.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
I would send the LMT sight back for a replacement.

roar
04-11-08, 01:25
I really don't think it is a bent barrel, because honestly, my AR is just a range toy right now. I have thought of sending the sight back. Should I send it back to the place my girlfriend bought it from, or should I try and exchange it directly with LMT?

Gunfighter13
04-11-08, 01:38
I really don't think it is a bent barrel, because honestly, my AR is just a range toy right now. I have thought of sending the sight back. Should I send it back to the place my girlfriend bought it from, or should I try and exchange it directly with LMT?

I would call LMT and the dealer you got it from.

roar
04-11-08, 02:24
Thanks for the replies. I will call the dealer and LMT within the next week and see what they can do.

Shihan
04-11-08, 16:35
Just call LMT direct and they will take care of it.

RogerinTPA
04-11-08, 20:07
Sounds like your girlfriend's a keeper. Did you zero with reloads or factory loads? Quality or surplus ammo? Try different brand to make sure you didn't draw a bad lot, then if it's still shooting weird send it back for the manufacture to inspect it.

NoBody
04-11-08, 20:23

The rear aperture on my older GG&G BUIS was nearly in the center, while on my new LMT sight I needed to move the aperture almost all the way to the left in order to zero my rifle.

Dude, I just changed out my Noveske/Troy BUIS with an LMT tactical fixed sight and had the same problem (only my correction was almost completely RIGHT windage). I too managed to zero my rifle, but 16 clicks RIGHT was way too much!

I talked to John Noveske and he said to send the upper and LMT sight to him and he'd fix it himself (no kidding! :eek: ). Well, since it was a LMT issue I called Gene at LMT and he's swapping sights for me. :D

I'm a bit concerned about the LMT rear sight QC because I've heard of four LMT sights in the past three weeks all with similar issues. However, LMT is stepping up to the plate to fix the problem.

Shihan
04-11-08, 21:59
Dude, I just changed out my Noveske/Troy BUIS with an LMT tactical fixed sight and had the same problem (only my correction was almost completely RIGHT windage). I too managed to zero my rifle, but 16 clicks RIGHT was way too much!

I talked to John Noveske and he said to send the upper and LMT sight to him and he'd fix it himself (no kidding! :eek: ). Well, since it was a LMT issue I called Gene at LMT and he's swapping sights for me. :D

I'm a bit concerned about the LMT rear sight QC because I've heard of four LMT sights in the past three weeks all with similar issues. However, LMT is stepping up to the plate to fix the problem.

I have sold many of them without issue. The only problems I have heard that turned out to be real problems were from newbies.

NoBody
04-12-08, 04:56
I have sold many of them without issue. The only problems I have heard that turned out to be real problems were from newbies.

Well, I've been shooting the AR platform for over 10 years now....so now you've heard of real problems from experienced shooters as well. :D