PDA

View Full Version : I smell a Darwin Award.

Peshawar
07-08-13, 13:04
Don't urinate on subway tracks. (http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/trending/Drunk-guy-peeing-on-subway-tracks-gets-electrocuted-dies.html) :nono:

What a horrible way to go. If there is an afterlife, this guy is getting an earful from his colleagues.

whiterabbit05
07-08-13, 13:27
As one of the comments states, Mythbusters tried to replicate this and couldn't.

Seems like there should be more to the story...

Leonidas24
07-08-13, 13:37
As one of the comments states, Mythbusters tried to replicate this and couldn't.

They retested it in a later episode and found it was possible under the correct conditions.

markm
07-08-13, 14:43
They originally tried the electric fence. Now I'd guess that a much more powerful source could arc the piss stream where the electric fence might not. :confused:

SteyrAUG
07-08-13, 21:46
Maybe if people just didn't piss wherever they felt like it.

It's a subway, I can guarantee there were public restrooms within 50 yards.

Basic civilized human rule #47. Nobody wants the common public area everyone must use to smell like urine. Sadly I've seen worse.

AKDoug
07-08-13, 21:58
The fact that the guy that tried to save him also got zapped leads me to believe there was more to the story.

tb-av
07-08-13, 22:47
They originally tried the electric fence. Now I'd guess that a much more powerful source could arc the piss stream where the electric fence might not. :confused:

I can tell you I have first hand... uh.., make that first pecker knowledge of peeing on an electric fence. It does work. In fact we confirmed it with several testers. I don't care what mythbusters or anybody else tells you, you can get a jolt in your bolt pissing on an electric fence.

I won't say it was double blind testing but we were good and drunk.

tb-av
07-08-13, 22:52
The fact that the guy that tried to save him also got zapped leads me to believe there was more to the story.

Yeah, like standing water or something. The part about the other guy really sounds odd. Arcing up through rebar maybe... anyway that really sounds strange.

Dave_M
07-08-13, 23:06

Mythbusters gets plenty wrong. They've even had, 'myths' that were well documented, proven to have occurred, and they fail to replicate them.

Oftentimes when they're wrong or incorrectly attribute something as, 'myth busted' it is due to several factors:
-Incomplete knowledge (about every firearms, 'myth' they've ever ever done.. like how you can't have a catastrophic failure from a bore obstruction :lol:)
-Large overall breadth of knowledge without much depth (remember, these are special effects/prop people). In some episodes they do consult experts in the field (shit, I hope they always do that and maybe they just don't make it on TV...)
-It's a TV show with content entirely based on the market their advertisers are going for.

Now, based on the above, you may think I don't like the show but you'd be wrong. I watch it frequently and enjoy it (but swear a lot whenever they have something with guns because well... many many many times they've gotten it wrong.) The SKS episode I found particularly irksome.

Anywho, one thing that annoys me are people that say, 'mythbusters said that was like totally busted so it can't be true'... hence my rant about the commentators.

Shit, the story might actually not be true about him being electrocuted and subsequently killed by urinating on the third rail (I mean, if he was drunk, he easily could have stumbled after urinating and simply got some skin on it giving people the impression.... etc etc etc)

Alright, I think my, 'rant for the night!' is all over.

sjc3081
07-09-13, 01:44
Maybe if people just didn't piss wherever they felt like it.

Basic civilized human rule #47. Nobody wants the common public area everyone must use to smell like urine. Sadly I've seen worse.

When I was a NYC Police Officer the problem with gay men using the public bathrooms for group sex,forced the city close the bathrooms. I once walked into he public bathroom in the Rockerfeller Subway Station and witnessed a man having anal sex with another man while ten other men masterbaited while watching. It was a very unpleasant experience.

SteyrAUG
07-09-13, 02:04
When I was a NYC Police Officer the problem with gay men using the public bathrooms for group sex,forced the city close the bathrooms. I once walked into he public bathroom in the Rockerfeller Subway Station and witnessed a man having anal sex with another man while ten other men masterbaited while watching. It was a very unpleasant experience.

So that's why shoes stick to the floors in mens rooms.

:lol:

Moose-Knuckle
07-09-13, 04:10

Yet if you call them what they are, sexual deviants you're labeled as an ignorant homophobe. :rolleyes:

A gym I use to workout at had to close the sauna in the men's locker room for the same reason. :bad:

As for Mythbusters . . . :rolleyes:

VIP3R 237
07-10-13, 01:00
I can tell you I have first hand... uh.., make that first pecker knowledge of peeing on an electric fence. It does work. In fact we confirmed it with several testers. I don't care what mythbusters or anybody else tells you, you can get a jolt in your bolt pissing on an electric fence.

I won't say it was double blind testing but we were good and drunk.

This brought tears to my eyes from laughing so hard.

F-Trooper05
07-10-13, 01:24

I've been black-out drunk on subways in NY, DC, Boston, and Chicago, and can assure you that finding a restroom within 50 yards of any of them is nearly impossible. They all smell like piss for a reason.

SteyrAUG
07-10-13, 15:13
I've been black-out drunk on subways in NY, DC, Boston, and Chicago, and can assure you that finding a restroom within 50 yards of any of them is nearly impossible. They all smell like piss for a reason.

Maybe don't get black out drunk on the subway.

Suwannee Tim
07-10-13, 16:23
IIRC the NYC MTA subways run on 600 VDC. That's enough to run right up your urine stream, light your ass up and still have some left over for your buddy. Volt for volt, DC is about twice as bad as AC. AC has 120 zero crossings every second, every one an opportunity for the arc to extinguish. DC has no zero crossings.

Suwannee Tim
07-10-13, 16:29

Should have just rolled a grenade in there. Call me homophobic if you must but this so called "lifestyle" is not a the equal of a heterosexual relationship. Not even close. And sjc is exactly correct, there are few if any public restrooms in the MTA subway. NYC tries to force businesses to provide restrooms with limited success. Trying to find a place to take a leak is a real challenge in NYC.

Ryno12
07-10-13, 16:36
Should have just rolled a grenade in there.

Yeah, that's pretty much spot on.

Sent via Tapatalk