PDA

View Full Version : USGI Holsters

coastwatcher42
07-08-13, 19:16
Does anyone know if the M-9 (Bianchi UM84) is the only belt holster being issued by the Army or Marines. I know that a lot of Safariland and Blackhawk (among others) holsters are being used in Afghanistan, but are any of them issue items?

coastwatcher42
07-08-13, 19:42
I would not base my holster purchases on what anyone issues. Determine your needs and buy what fits your needs.

I've got a Safariland 6004 that I'm very happy with. I was just curious what the military was issuing these days. When I was in the National Guard in the mid-80's we had .45s with the old leather holsters. A lot of the guys envied regular Army guys because they were just starting to be issued the Beretta and the new holster. I didn't really have an opinion one way or another as I wasn't issued a pistol. As a side note, when I bought my first pistol, I looked at the Beretta and the .45 and ended up getting a WW II issue Remington Rand M1911A1 in really great shape. Some of the guys said I should have gotten the M9 because it was the latest issue but I prefered the .45s power.

kaltesherz
07-08-13, 21:47
My old unit issued drop leg Safarilands, but we didn't use M9's very often and those that did usually bought their own holsters. Never saw anyone using the old school Bianchi UM84 overseas, Fobbits seemed to love leather shoulder rigs- both US and locally made.

HardToHandle
07-08-13, 22:43
Isn't the Bianchi called the "Widowmaker" for a reason?

I don't recall even seeing one at any stateside bases for a long time.

GTF425
07-08-13, 23:18
Currently, the SERPA is issued in my Company.

Guns-up.50
07-09-13, 10:24
We were issued the green monster (USMC), but many went out and bought serpas or safarilands, but that's been about 6 years ago.

Army Chief
07-09-13, 14:35
Holster standardization in the Army has been non-existent for as long as I can remember. Maybe you'll get the UM84 (with no conversion accessories), maybe you'll get the old black leather shoulder holster (1911 style), and maybe you'll get none at all because the arms room simply doesn't have enough to go around. I've used several types over the years, but most were out-of-pocket purchases on my part.

AC

High Tower
07-09-13, 18:04
Holster standardization in the Army has been non-existent for as long as I can remember. Maybe you'll get the UM84 (with no conversion accessories), maybe you'll get the old black leather shoulder holster (1911 style), and maybe you'll get none at all because the arms room simply doesn't have enough to go around. I've used several types over the years, but most were out-of-pocket purchases on my part.

AC

Absolutely the truth. Last deployment we were issued generic Eagle drop legs. This time around, they issued the big greens until the ran out and guys were carrying them around in their pocket until they could get to the px. Then, supply ordered a bunch of Safariland 6004s. I've only used Safariland usually what I buy.

NavyEngineer
08-15-13, 04:25
As a Navy Individual Augmentee, I was issued a drop-leg Safariland holster during training at Fort Jackson, SC in 2011. Shortly before we left for Afghanistan, they had us exchange the well-worn Safariland holsters for new BlackHawk Serpas. I did see a mix of Safariland, Serpas, Bianchi, and locally made holsters during my tour. Navy ships still issue the old Bianchi holsters.

Caduceus
08-15-13, 07:41
As a Navy Individual Augmentee, I was issued a drop-leg Safariland holster during training at Fort Jackson, SC in 2011. Shortly before we left for Afghanistan, they had us exchange the well-worn Safariland holsters for new BlackHawk Serpas. I did see a mix of Safariland, Serpas, Bianchi, and locally made holsters during my tour. Navy ships still issue the old Bianchi holsters.

Ditto my experience, same place, same year. I was issued a dropleg Safariland, but traded it for a Serpa (that's what I use for my personal firearms, so more comfortable with it).

Don't know about any actual "on the belt" holsters, however.

mark5pt56
08-15-13, 07:58
I've got a Safariland 6004 that I'm very happy with. I was just curious what the military was issuing these days. When I was in the National Guard in the mid-80's we had .45s with the old leather holsters. A lot of the guys envied regular Army guys because they were just starting to be issued the Beretta and the new holster. I didn't really have an opinion one way or another as I wasn't issued a pistol. As a side note, when I bought my first pistol, I looked at the Beretta and the .45 and ended up getting a WW II issue Remington Rand M1911A1 in really great shape. Some of the guys said I should have gotten the M9 because it was the latest issue but I prefered the .45s power.

I wish I could have purchased my issued .45, it was a mutt, Singer and USSS(US Switch and Signal. Although issued the old flap holster, we could buy and carry others, the UM84 was one and then a hodge podge of others, saw alot of the old Bianchi leather duty rigs. The Safariland ALS is my favorite in various forms, depending on use. I wish I still had the original Safariland 3000 series, very light and simple. Only pic I could find.
http://downrangegear.wordpress.com/2010/04/02/old-holster-gets-new-lease-on-life/

calviroman
08-17-13, 16:58
I carried a M9 during my tour in Iraq in 2011. I was a "fobbet" staff officer working in the HQ. I was issued two holsters, a drop leg Safariland and an old school Bianchi flap holster. Most of the office fobbets I worked with went out and bought Galco brown leather Miami classic shoulder holsters with the straight drop. There was no standardization and there were probably 20+ different holster types in the office.