PDA

View Full Version : I don't know why but I want a coach gun

thatpanda
07-08-13, 19:18
Like the title says, I have no idea why but I want a coach gun! Can someone recommend me a decent coach gun that is not too expensive, short, hammerless, double triggers, and most importantly reliable? The two most common ones that keep coming up in my research is the baikal and stoeger. Does anyone have experiance with either of these two brands? Which of these hold up better to high round counts? Are there any other brands in my price range (< $500) that I should be looking at? This gun will be used mostly as a range toy, but it may end up traveling with me as a defensive firearm in places where firearm ownership is generally frowned upon, like maryland :p. The chances that this thing will be used as a primary defensive gun will be slim, but either way reliability is king to me. I shoot the crap out of my shotguns so I'm sure this thing will see a lot of rounds down range, I'm looking for the most durable and reliable gun for my money. Thanks!

GH41
07-08-13, 20:03
Forget about that third world junk and get on of these! http://www.berettausa.com/products/imperial-montecarlo/ Just cut the barrel down with your hacksaw. GH

T2C
07-08-13, 20:08
I have been contemplating the same kind of purchase. Find an old Stevens Model 311 and have a competent gunsmith shorten the barrels.

TheWaker43
07-08-13, 20:29
I have no first hand experience but I have heard good things about Cimarron coach guns. They run a bit more than your budget and are also imported. But they seem to be favored with the Cowboy Action Shooting crowd. I want a coach gun as well and have spent a lot of time reading and that is what I am leaning toward. Check out some of the Cowboy Action Shooting forums too, they might can point you in the right direction.

lunchbox
07-08-13, 20:39
Must admit I have always wanted stubby double. Just because of the unrealistic impact scene shots of 80' action movies :smile: ya kno the ones where bad guy does bloody flip while flying though air..

sxshep
07-08-13, 20:57
I'm in the same boat... I reeeeally want a Stoeger Double Defense for some reason. It's a dumb marketing tactic, as I really doubt I'll be taking advantage of the picatinny rails to mount an ACOG, grenade launcher, front fore grip, tac light, etc etc... But the idea of being able to is cool haha.

I keep the 590A1 loaded up for home defense, so like you said... the likelihood of ever needing a double barrel outside of the range is unlikely. But they're just... cool!

.46caliber
07-08-13, 22:26
Like the title says, I have no idea why but I want a coach gun! Can someone recommend me a decent coach gun that is not too expensive, short, hammerless, double triggers, and most importantly reliable? The two most common ones that keep coming up in my research is the baikal and stoeger. Does anyone have experiance with either of these two brands? Which of these hold up better to high round counts? Are there any other brands in my price range (< $500) that I should be looking at? This gun will be used mostly as a range toy, but it may end up traveling with me as a defensive firearm in places where firearm ownership is generally frowned upon, like maryland :p. The chances that this thing will be used as a primary defensive gun will be slim, but either way reliability is king to me. I shoot the crap out of my shotguns so I'm sure this thing will see a lot of rounds down range, I'm looking for the most durable and reliable gun for my money. Thanks!

No experience with the models, but I do with Stoeger and it wasn't pleasant. Poor QC on big (bolt) and small (ejector) parts leading to failures and non-resolution from Stoeger repairs.

It might be fine for a range toy, but it's not a reliable Uncle Joe-approved defensive shotgun. I might go so far as to say you should be prepared to chalk it up as a total loss.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

thatpanda
07-09-13, 22:34
There doesn't seem to be much out there that meets my criteria. I was thinking about getting a CZ Bob White and cutting the barrels down to 18.5 inches. I hear cz side by sides have an excellent reputation for quality and durability. Has anyone owned a cz double barrel?

Armati
07-10-13, 09:26
The one neat thing about a double gun (or single for that matter) is you can load up homebrew shot shells - silly puddy, crayons, dimes, super balls, confetti, ect. The sky's the limit!

CobraBG
07-11-13, 09:26
I have an older Baikal from when they were imported by Remington. It is a nice gun and the fit and finish are excellent. I bought it used (looked unused) for $300. I have only shot it a few times and it has had no issues.

Like you, I just wanted a coach gun. It compliments my Winchester 94 and Ruger Vaquero.

Moose-Knuckle
07-11-13, 16:40
I have to be honest, I've actually been eyeing one of these for the reasons Armati mentioned and the fact I've been watching way too many Zombie movies lately.

Stoeger Double Defense

Over and Under
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a144/AKS-74/stoegerddou_zps84b6b9d7.jpg (http://s10.photobucket.com/user/AKS-74/media/stoegerddou_zps84b6b9d7.jpg.html)

Side by Side
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a144/AKS-74/stoegerddss_zps7a548ee6.jpg (http://s10.photobucket.com/user/AKS-74/media/stoegerddss_zps7a548ee6.jpg.html)

Kain
07-11-13, 19:52
I have a friend who has the Stoeger "Tactical" over and under. As goofy as that thing is he loves the damn thing. And he is far from a mall ninja. I guess its kind of his **** off gun since he has a lot of serious guns, whether for work or competition. It patterns well with buck shot and it groups well with slugs.

bowietx
07-13-13, 15:41
I had a great experience with a stoeger silverado and there is a good review of this firearm on thetruthaboutguns website IIRC. They are fun and practical enough for Doc Holliday. That said there is something to be said for following what the SASS/Cowboy action shooting crowd has to say about the coach guns and reliability as there are few who run them as hard as a regular competitor on the SASS circuit.

Canonshooter
07-14-13, 17:35
I have an old Lefever 16 gauge (of no collector value because the barrels we cut by my grandfather when he dropped it muzzle-first into the pavement) and then later completely refinished. I am tempted to cut the barrel back to 20" and have some taken off the stock.

Right now, it's just sitting in the safe taking up space with 26-1/2" barrels with little choke left in either.....

Eurodriver
07-14-13, 17:58
I have a great video of my buddy shooting an 18" double barreled coach gun - pulling both triggers at the same time.

I'll have to see if I can find it. :p

signkutter
07-15-13, 21:21
I have a buddy with a sidebyside 12 gauge, wood stock.. i dont know the brand .. Neat little shotgun... kicks like a beast though

dinod
07-15-13, 21:31
I have an old Ithaca that was cut by the previous owner, it's great.

Rockhopper
07-16-13, 01:07
if you are willing to go single shot you could do an h&r gauge and chop the barrel

checkmyswag
07-26-13, 12:15
Why?

Definitely cool and iconic.

It's a "want" for me though, definitely not a need.