PDA

View Full Version : Have a question about hearing protection in a hd/sd scenario

stag88
07-09-13, 03:41
First let me start off with my guns specs, 16in mid length gas system, battlecomp, and more then likely federal fusion 62gr bonded ammunition. Obviously if my life was at stake my hearing later in life takes a back seat but just wondering if shooting my setup would cause serious or immediate damage. If I shot a mag in let's say a small room would it blow out my eardrums? I've shot a round on accident outside without ear pro and it was uncomfortable to say the least lol. bottom line would shooting without ear pro cause me to maybe not be able to continue the fight? Also would teir 1 guys/military/Leo use ear pro in sd/hd?

WNY_Whitetailer
07-09-13, 03:45
If this situation would arise, you wouldn't have time to bother. Deal with the threat, hearing be damned...If you're dead, you won't need your hearing anyway...

Sent from my ADR8995 using Tapatalk 2

TakeAwayTheFear
07-09-13, 05:00
I cant imagine dumping a mag with no ear protection. Ive accidently shot my 1911 without and that sucked! Id imagine in the situation you'd adapt snd move on with all the adrenaline pumping.

kevN
07-09-13, 06:28
Lots of variables to this beyond your gun, but I would also consider how important your hearing is in figuring out what is going on. Even with electronic earpro/etc your ability to track sound "directionally" will be impaired. Also, seems unlikely you would expend an entire magazine in an HD scenario.

I think if you don't live someplace where suppressors are legal then you are probably just going to have to take your chances on the noise.

GH41
07-09-13, 06:55
I have to assume if you are shooting at someone inside your home they are probably shooting back. Will they have a suppressed weapon? GH

JSantoro
07-09-13, 07:14
If there are aspects of the question that aren't answered by the following, bump it with new questions or new info.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=100631&highlight=hearing