PDA

View Full Version : Today is the day for Carry Concealed in Illinois.

AlphaKoncepts
07-09-13, 11:23
If you did not know, today is the day that determines carry concealed once and for all (well not really once and for all) in Illinois. The ILGA will vote to over ride Governors veto of the carry concealed bill.

The rumor mill has it we will see the governor's amendments re-introduced as separate bills. TODAY IS A DAY ALL ILLINOIS GUN OWNERS ABSOLUTELY NEED TO BE PROACTIVE.

The Senate Dems. plan to caucus right after the Executive committee hearing this morning. If any of the Gov's veto items have any support, they plan to run them as separate trailer bills.

Please call your state senator and urge them to vote NO on any other changes to the carry bill!

http://www.capwiz.com/nra/dbq/officials/

http://www.ilga.gov/senate/

TODAY is the day.

AlphaKoncepts
07-09-13, 11:43
On a vote of 77/31/0, HB183 is declared passed not withstanding the Governor's recommendations.

The veto is overridden in the House. Onto the Senate.

AlphaKoncepts
07-09-13, 13:37
IL Senate is delaying vote on HB183 by taking it out of the record.

On a side note it appears Attorney General Lisa Madigan has filed for a motion of appearance possibly to request appeal to SCOTUS. This is speculation on my part, and not fact, but based on the Senate's actions could be possible to prevent Illinois from falling off the Concealed Carry Cliff.

AlphaKoncepts
07-09-13, 13:42
OK more games. They are reusing to vote on the original CC bill and calling a new CC bill with the Governors changes included.

HB1453 is up and is a trailer bill. President Cullerton moves to adopt Amendment 2 which is a trailer to HB183.

Senator Murphy points out that the third reading deadline has not been extended on the bill. He is told it has been extended to 11/7/2013.

Amend 2 adds the governor's signage wording, duty to inform, and mental health provisions.

ryr8828
07-09-13, 13:56
I've had a gut full of all these games.

AlphaKoncepts
07-09-13, 14:07
I've had a gut full of all these games.
Tell me about it! I was able to emotionally disconnect myself from the topic though about a month ago. It was really having a negative affect on my life. Not kidding, down right depressing!

HB1453 passed in the Senate as amended on a vote of 45/13/0. HB1453 back to the House. (Hopefully the house kills it.)

AlphaKoncepts
07-09-13, 14:10
HB183 is now up in the Senate.

Senator Raoul supports the override.

AlphaKoncepts
07-09-13, 14:13
Senator Jacobs suggests to the Governor that he might want to work with the legislature while they're actually in session. hahahah

Ned Christiansen
07-09-13, 14:13
I am most anxious to be the first non FIP to hold an IL permit. Since, as I understand it, IL will not recognize any out of state permits, but there is a mechanism planned for out-of-staters to apply for one, well, that'll be me walkin' up the courthouse steps in Joliet or wherever at 8 AM the first day I can apply. Hopefully I'll have their training reqs ID'd and done ahead.

FIP, BTW, is a term I was given when asking my IL friends, "so what do they call people from Illinois?"

AlphaKoncepts
07-09-13, 14:17
183 here by declared passed not withstanding the AV. 41 yes votes.

AlphaKoncepts
07-09-13, 14:19
I am most anxious to be the first non FIP to hold an IL permit. Since, as I understand it, IL will not recognize any out of state permits, but there is a mechanism planned for out-of-staters to apply for one, well, that'll be me walkin' up the courthouse steps in Joliet or wherever at 8 AM the first day I can apply. Hopefully I'll have their training reqs ID'd and done ahead.

FIP, BTW, is a term I was given when asking my IL friends, "so what do they call people from Illinois?"Yes non residents may get a permit, $300 for 5 years. http://chicagogunsmith.com/blog/illinois-carry-concealed-law/137/

By the way it's F.I.P. as in Fuggin Illinois People.

Army Chief
07-09-13, 14:22
Have definitely been pulling for you guys. I was admittedly surprised to see that the bill had any legs at all. This is some potentially great news.

AC

gunrunner505
07-09-13, 14:24
183 here by declared passed not withstanding the AV. 41 yes votes.

So 1453 is dead? CCW in Illinois is a done deal on 183?

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

AlphaKoncepts
07-09-13, 14:26
The fight is not over. The first person probably won't be issued until 2014, and we have a fall session coming up for the general assembly in a few months. I wonder how many bills the anti's will be throwing at us, and not a single citizen will even be carrying yet. Permits probably won't be issued to April of 2104.

AlphaKoncepts
07-09-13, 14:28
So 1453 is dead? CCW in Illinois is a done deal on 183?

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 21453 is a trailer bill which makes some minor changes to 183 if passed. Specifically signage and duty to inform. It's not dead yet but won't kill CC even if passed.

The fight will never be over, I suspect in the next sessions we see them throw mag bans at us, limitations on the quantity of firearms, the alcohol establishment thing is a big issue with the antis. I think we should go on a major offensive and introduce a barrage of our own bills to improve 183, put the antis on the defensive. Have them work to defeat OUR bills rather than us work to defeat their bills.

gunrunner505
07-09-13, 14:36
1453 is a trailer bill which makes some minor changes to 183 if passed. Specifically signage and duty to inform. It's not dead yet but won't kill CC even if passed.

The fight will never be over, I suspect in the next sessions we see them throw mag bans at us, limitations on the quantity of firearms, the alcohol establishment thing is a big issue with the antis. I think we should go on a major offensive and introduce a barrage of our own bills to improve 183, put the antis on the defensive. Have them work to defeat OUR bills rather than us work to defeat their bills.

Wish we had 997 passed but this is a start. Time to make improvements to it, make it better.

AlphaKoncepts
07-09-13, 14:41
Yeah 0997 was much better, but we can turn this into that. Like you said time to make improvements. No doubt Todd Vandermeir is going to take a few days to celebrate and then begin contacting sponsors on our side to get improvement bills introduced.

DoorSlammer
07-09-13, 14:57
Just picked this off the net;

SPRINGFIELD -- Illinois lawmakers Tuesday quickly overrode Gov. Pat Quinn's amendatory veto of a concealed carry bill, making Illinois the 50th state to permit the licensed carrying of a firearm.

The Illinois House voted 77-31, without debate, to override Quinn's veto.

Hours later the Senate followed through with a 41-17 roll call overriding the governor's revisions to the bill. All area senators -- Mike Frerichs of Champaign, Chapin Rose of Mahomet, Dale Righter of Mattoon and Jason Barickman of Bloomington -- voted for the override.

The Senate did, however, pass a so-called "trailer bill" that incorporates three of Quinn's chnages. One requires lawful weapons carriers to inform police that they have a concealed firearm. Another deals with mental health reporting, and the third has to do with signage.

Although Illinois immediately becomes a concealed-carry, the state has six months to implement the law.

AlphaKoncepts
07-09-13, 15:00
SPRINGFIELD -- Illinois lawmakers Tuesday quickly overrode Gov. Pat Quinn's amendatory veto of a concealed carry bill, making Illinois the 50th state to permit the licensed carrying of a firearm.

The Illinois House voted 77-31, without debate, to override Quinn's veto.

Hours later the Senate followed through with a 41-17 roll call overriding the governor's revisions to the bill. All area senators -- Mike Frerichs of Champaign, Chapin Rose of Mahomet, Dale Righter of Mattoon and Jason Barickman of Bloomington -- voted for the override.

The Senate did, however, pass a so-called "trailer bill" that incorporates three of Quinn's chnages. One requires lawful weapons carriers to inform police that they have a concealed firearm. Another deals with mental health reporting, and the third has to do with signage.

Although Illinois immediately becomes a concealed-carry, the state has six months to implement the law.

There is some good stuff in the law such as preemption and transportation etc... that get tossed out immediately once 183 gets certified into law. Only the permits issuance and will take 180 to implement and 270 days until first permit is issued (assuming the state takes the maximum allowed amount of time).

DoorSlammer
07-09-13, 15:03
Can the center console or glove box be utilized to store a loaded weapon with this?

T2C
07-09-13, 15:04
I have spent a lot of time on the Illinois General Assembly website reviewing HB183. Does anyone have a link to documents pertaining to HB183 Legislative Intent? I would like to have my ducks in a row when I start teaching courses.

AlphaKoncepts
07-09-13, 15:07
The House Judiciary Committee recommends the House do concur on HB1453 on a vote of 13/3/0. (this does not yet mean the House has voted on it.)

AlphaKoncepts
07-09-13, 15:09
I have spent a lot of time on the Illinois General Assembly website reviewing HB183. Does anyone have a link to documents pertaining to HB183 Legislative Intent? I would like to have my ducks in a row when I start teaching courses. This has nothing to do with legislative intent but may give you a small bit of insight... None of it is "official" other than what you see re-posted from the Illinois State Police http://chicagogunsmith.com/blog/illinois-carry-concealed-law/137/ You may want to ask over at http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php Those guys know a ton more than I do.

AlphaKoncepts
07-09-13, 15:11
HB183 is now Public Act 98-0063

jmoore
07-09-13, 15:29

And.............. ISP will have a 3 month window to "process" the requisite paperwork. So - the EARLIEST that anyone will be carrying will be 9 months - the best part of a year down the road. (And really - what are the sanctions if ISP DOES take longer than 90 days for processing:)

john - trapped in this god-forsaken state

nickdrak
07-09-13, 15:29
Finally :D

jmoore
07-09-13, 15:30
Finally :D

I still don't hear that fat lady singing, though!!!!!

john

AlphaKoncepts
07-09-13, 15:36
I won't hear her singing until the very first permit is issued. But then it still won't be over, every legislative session we should expect anti gun legislation and attacks on not only our 2a rights in general but specifically our CC rights.

AlphaKoncepts
07-09-13, 15:38
And.............. ISP will have a 3 month window to "process" the requisite paperwork. So - the EARLIEST that anyone will be carrying will be 9 months - the best part of a year down the road. (And really - what are the sanctions if ISP DOES take longer than 90 days for processing:)

john - trapped in this god-forsaken stateI did not see any penalties or anything in HB183 for failure to comply with deadlines. I have been informed that the ISP is working to make it happen though and the NRA lobbyist, Todd Vandermeir, is working with the ISP to implement the system.

AlphaKoncepts
07-09-13, 15:40
1453 fails in the house. 63y 47n, 71 was required to pass.

T2C
07-09-13, 15:43
I would like to see the final printed copy of P.A. 98-0063. It will take some time before it is issued.

AlphaKoncepts
07-09-13, 15:45
Ask and you shall receive. http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/publicacts/fulltext.asp?Name=098-0063

T2C
07-09-13, 15:50
Ask and you shall receive. http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/publicacts/fulltext.asp?Name=098-0063

Thank you. I have already reviewed all 168 pages on the link a few times. There are still a lot of additions and deletions on the link. I will feel better when I see the final draft.

I would like clarification from the legislature as to what needs to be covered in the criminal law portion of a CCW class. They also need to clarify how the B-27 target will be scored. I suspect an Illinois CCW instructor will be issued a unique number like the FOID.

We took a giant step in the right direction today, but there is still a lot to do.

AlphaKoncepts
07-09-13, 15:51
Thank you. I have already reviewed all 168 pages on the link a few times. There are still a lot of additions and deletions on the link. I will feel better when I see the final draft.

I would like clarification from the legislature as to what needs to be covered in the criminal law portion of a CCW class. They also need to clarify how the B-27 target will be scored. I suspect an Illinois CCW instructor will be issued a unique number like the FOID. There is a lot to do.Yup, and 2 months to do it.

weggy
07-09-13, 16:45
Not from Il, but wishing you good luck.

gunrunner505
07-09-13, 16:48
So now that the general assembly told muttonhead to shove it, I wonder what will become of his "warning" not to mess with his AV? Probably nothin as everyone knows he's just an empty suit but he probably thought he sounded pretty tough.

Steve70
07-09-13, 20:51
News report
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppmRxh_JGQ4

:)

AlphaKoncepts
07-11-13, 08:38

john - trapped in this god-forsaken state
Right now the ISRA is suing for immediate FOID carry until the ISP starts to issue permits.

gunrunner505
07-16-13, 12:34
Am I correct in reading the law that basically the Crook County AWB is gone and is being replaced by individual town bans? The info I've seen doesn't look like too many towns enacted one.

T2C
07-16-13, 12:53
Am I correct in reading the law that basically the Crook County AWB is gone and is being replaced by individual town bans? The info I've seen doesn't look like too many towns enacted one.

I don't think we are out of the woods until July 19th.

gunrunner505
07-16-13, 13:39
I don't think we are out of the woods until July 19th.

105% agree. The 19th cannot get here fast enough. I currently do not see anything on the docket coming up for my town.

But am I right in reading the county ban is gone and it becomes a town/city deal?

AlphaKoncepts
08-15-13, 20:51
Gunrunner it always WAS a county deal. Home rule communities were exempt. If you live in a home rule community the cook county assault weapons ban is null and void. Now Cook County seems to think otherwise, but they thought so too before and the Cook AWB was never enforced. I suspect the new Cook AWB too won't be enforced. My understanding, and I am not a lawyer, is that the Cook AWB only applies to unincorporated areas and areas which are not home rule.