PDA

View Full Version : 30 round mags for the FBI

Slater
07-09-13, 21:28
https://marketplace.fedbid.com/fbweb/fbobuyDetails.do?token=%3D%3DwBKxmaVGYR9a11pbYtKvd%2BQAAAAAHeAAgAgTFCGg%2FFzzqQbJAAyVXBA0Or

Looking at the above solicitation, it mentions "green followers". Is this the old-school 1980's variety or is there some new-style follower that is green?

GI_Jared
07-09-13, 21:57
green followers replaced the older version which could tilt and cause a jam when firing in full auto. the green followers are anti-tilt. basically the FBI is just ordering some new milspec mags.

Failure2Stop
07-09-13, 23:48
green followers replaced the older version which could tilt and cause a jam when firing in full auto. the green followers are anti-tilt. basically the FBI is just ordering some new milspec mags.

They're actually ordering "older" mags. The "new" GI mags have a tan anti tilt follower that closely resembles the MagPul type but with the follower "bump" reversed.

Typos brought to you via Tapatalk and autocorrect.

Wake27
07-09-13, 23:59
So is it tan>green>black?

Failure2Stop
07-10-13, 00:28
So is it tan>green>black?

Correct you are.

Typos brought to you via Tapatalk and autocorrect.

RMiller
07-10-13, 07:17
Is this new tan follower the same tan one used in the brownells production mags?

Alex F
07-10-13, 07:22
"Tan is the plan, green start to lean, black send it back".

Sorry.

ndmiller
07-10-13, 07:30
Bid specifies Aluminum construction, so no PMAGS for the FBI? And the E-Landers are out as well........

Too bad as the FBI could peruse the line at most gun shows and pick up 2400 mags pretty easily from the horders.

Noah

markm
07-10-13, 08:21
This is a standard production mag for Brownells. The recent Brownells mag bodies are sloppy however. :rolleyes:

RMiller
07-10-13, 08:44
This is a standard production mag for Brownells. The recent Brownells mag bodies are sloppy however. :rolleyes:

I have noticed all the current brownells mags have green followers and do seem a little sloppy.

I had some older ones with the tan followers and the springs were wider than a standard USGI mag (wider length wise of the follower). They were very good to me and ran great with brass.

markm
07-10-13, 09:26
I had to trim edges on a half dozen Magpul Followers for Pappabear to get them to flow through the whole mag body on those Brownells mags. They wouldn't even go all the way to feedlips in some cases.

They work fine... but they're no NHMTG mags for sure.

BushmasterFanBoy
07-10-13, 09:28
On USGI's I prefer green followers to tan. Never had an issue due to the follower and not related to just being old, busted ass mags. I prefer my top rounds stay consistent, and for that reason alone, I go for green where issued mags are concerned.

RMiller
07-10-13, 09:42
I had to trim edges on a half dozen Magpul Followers for Pappabear to get them to flow through the whole mag body on those Brownells mags. They wouldn't even go all the way to feedlips in some cases.

They work fine... but they're no NHMTG mags for sure.

Wow, that's horrible. I guess as long as they run now.... That's all that really matters.

The NHMTG mags are a GTG USGI mag. magpul follower and everything. What's not to like?

Ryno12
07-10-13, 09:57

Same here. Mine all stopped about 3/4-1" short. I haven't shot them yet to test function, however, they quickly got shuffled to the bottom of my pile as spares.

Sent via Tapatalk

markm
07-10-13, 10:37
The NHMTG mags are a GTG USGI mag. magpul follower and everything. What's not to like?

Yep. I already have too many mags... but still... I won't buy the Brownells again.

RMiller
07-10-13, 10:59
Yep. I already have too many mags... but still... I won't buy the Brownells again.

I have the exact opposite problem. I don't have enough. :(

NeoNeanderthal
07-10-13, 11:09
I have the exact opposite problem. I don't have enough. :(

No one has enough magazines or ammo. No one!

RMiller
07-10-13, 11:13

My point exactly .. Lol

markm
07-10-13, 11:43

When you have mathematically more than you can wear out in a lifetime, you have enough. ;)

RMiller
07-10-13, 13:24
When you have mathematically more than you can wear out in a lifetime, you have enough. ;)

You're a real fart smeller.... I mean real smart feller.... :lol:

Yea, I'm a little envious ... Haha

markm
07-10-13, 13:29
Yea, I'm a little envious ... Haha

My range mags don't really ever wear out. :confused:

At my current attrition rate.... I really have more than I need.

Pork Chop
07-10-13, 13:30

I had that many. Then, some people decided my used mags were worth shitpiles of money.............and I didn't argue. :)

markm
07-10-13, 13:34
I had that many. Then, some people decided my used mags were worth shitpiles of money.............and I didn't argue. :)

Yep. I unloaded almost all my pmags on the Gunbroker machine. :cool:

Then bought a few back at less than half the price.

RMiller
07-10-13, 13:37
Yep. I unloaded almost all my pmags on the Gunbroker machine. :cool:

Then bought a few back at less than half the price.

Just when I thought I was getting a hell of a deal on those markm signature series pmags......

markm
07-10-13, 13:42
I marketed them as Costa Blessed! :p

RMiller
07-10-13, 13:49
I marketed them as Costa Blessed! :p

The super tacti-kewl sunglasses that came with them were nice!

MAP
07-10-13, 19:48
Bid specifies Aluminum construction, so no PMAGS for the FBI? And the E-Landers are out as well........

Too bad as the FBI could peruse the line at most gun shows and pick up 2400 mags pretty easily from the horders.

Noah

In early 2009 I had an opportunity to talk with a FBI HRT member who had just returned from Iraq. His preference was the Brownells mags. He reported no issues in using them.

Mike

RMiller
07-10-13, 22:04
In early 2009 I had an opportunity to talk with a FBI HRT member who had just returned from Iraq. His preference was the Brownells mags. He reported no issues in using them.

Mike

I'm sure those were the older tan follower mags. The newer ones built during the recent panic seem to be a little off.

markm
07-11-13, 08:18
I'm sure those were the older tan follower mags. The newer ones built during the recent panic seem to be a little off.

Nah... I have old FDE bodies that predate the panic by over a year, and they're exactly the same slop.

They work fine... don't get me wrong... just unsightly.

Wake27
07-11-13, 10:57
Nah... I have old FDE bodies that predate the panic by over a year, and they're exactly the same slop.

They work fine... don't get me wrong... just unsightly.

This is all interesting because I have just two of their mags, and they've been fine the few times I used them but one of them jammed up a buddy's JP rifle not too long ago.

markm
07-11-13, 11:06
This is all interesting because I have just two of their mags, and they've been fine the few times I used them but one of them jammed up a buddy's JP rifle not too long ago.

You can't count JP... that's gay stuff.

I poked around about the Brownells bodies at one point... and Apparently Brownell's WAS having the ****tards at Cprod make bodies for them....

But a year or so back someone from Brownells proclaimed that they were in house now... and that they will refund anyone unhappy with a a mag.

Wake27
07-11-13, 11:24
You can't count JP... that's gay stuff.

I poked around about the Brownells bodies at one point... and Apparently Brownell's WAS having the ****tards at Cprod make bodies for them....

But a year or so back someone from Brownells proclaimed that they were in house now... and that they will refund anyone unhappy with a a mag.

Gay, but it functions well doesn't it?

markm
07-11-13, 11:34
Gay, but it functions well doesn't it?

No idea... that JP stuff is match gun stuff. Not my thing.

Low mass carriers, reduced power springs.... I run the opposite direction from companies that make that kind of stuff.

Wake27
07-11-13, 12:37
No idea... that JP stuff is match gun stuff. Not my thing.

Low mass carriers, reduced power springs.... I run the opposite direction from companies that make that kind of stuff.

Yeah I really didn't expect to see much about them around here, really surprised me with the misfeeds though.

ZoneOne
07-11-13, 15:14
"Tan is the plan, green start to lean, black send it back".

Sorry.

Oh my --- nothing like a good Mil-per comic to set your day straight.

weggy
07-11-13, 16:51

Noah
I do believe the military has thousands of P-mags in stock that they won't issue to the troops, not USGI. They probably will destroy them before they would sell them to the public or share with the FBI.

NHbowhunter
07-12-13, 21:59
Wow, that's horrible. I guess as long as they run now.... That's all that really matters.

Yes, I like the NHMTG mags, too. I recently ordered 10 from Brownell's, but got a momentary scare when I received them.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/13/usy7e2y9.jpg

The mag packaging was labeled similarly to the standard Brownell's mags, so I thought I had mistakenly gotten non-NHMTG mags. Here is the older Brownell's mag packaging:

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/13/ygeha8yn.jpg

and the NHMTG packaging:

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/13/hybebuma.jpg

The NHMTG mags had an NHMTG floor plate and a Magpul follower.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/13/bytepyvy.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/13/eneby4y8.jpg

For comparison, here is the follower in the Brownell's mag.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/13/2yvy7ete.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Charlie Don't Surf
07-16-13, 19:29
I got the new brownell's mags with the magpul followers and the non-standard body. The follower binds up just a half inch down. If I push farther its a nightmare.

I am returning these.

scottryan
07-16-13, 22:43

Mike

Your FBI buddy hasn't been paying attention.

scottryan
07-16-13, 22:48
Brownells mags have always been imitation usgi shit junk

There early ones were suspicously like c product mags.

The current production ones are bulged out and the floor plate is only half way held on. Every recent mag I looked at scheels last week were like this. Total ****ing garbage.

markm
07-17-13, 08:33
I got the new brownell's mags with the magpul followers and the non-standard body. The follower binds up just a half inch down. If I push farther its a nightmare.

I am returning these.

I've fixed a dozen of those. If you trim the follower edges.. ususally the front ones... you can get them to work great... but I totally understand just sending them back.

Brownells mags have always been imitation usgi shit junk

There early ones were suspicously like c product mags.

The current production ones are bulged out and the floor plate is only half way held on. Every recent mag I looked at scheels last week were like this. Total ****ing garbage.

I believe the older ones were indeed made by Cprod. The current mags aren't that much better. :(

Grand58742
07-17-13, 12:40
What I can't understand is why Brownells is selling the USGI type with the green follower for the price they are ($14 for a single) when you can get a D&H with Magpul follower for under ten bucks now in other colors than the standard gray. Of course, D&H has a few issues as well since I've had to trim a couple of the followers myself. Chalked it up to production above and beyond the call after December and figured a few were going to get missed in the rush to fill shelves. But with a significant price difference between the two, it makes sense to go cheaper.

I like Brownells, but not sure if spending another five bucks a mag then turning around to spend another two bucks to upgrade the follower makes good financial sense.

scottryan
07-17-13, 18:37
What I can't understand is why Brownells is selling the USGI type with the green follower for the price they are ($14 for a single) when you can get a D&H with Magpul follower for under ten bucks now in other colors than the standard gray. Of course, D&H has a few issues as well since I've had to trim a couple of the followers myself. Chalked it up to production above and beyond the call after December and figured a few were going to get missed in the rush to fill shelves. But with a significant price difference between the two, it makes sense to go cheaper.

I like Brownells, but not sure if spending another five bucks a mag then turning around to spend another two bucks to upgrade the follower makes good financial sense.

DH mags are not USGI.

Slater
07-18-13, 07:03
New USGI mag contract:

http://contracting.tacom.army.mil/confls/awd/W56HZV13D0132/0000.pdf

eodinert
07-18-13, 09:17
Has the FBI stretched the interstate commerce clause to cover the middle east now?

Grand58742
07-18-13, 12:54
DH mags are not USGI.

Never insinuated they were.

Slater
07-19-13, 06:45
Regarding the contract for Center Industries, the contract notice page at defense.gov stated that "one bid was solicited, with one bid received". Does that mean that Center Industries was the only preferred vendor?