PDA

View Full Version : Getting a new polymer framed pistol

125 mph
07-09-13, 23:20
After a frustrating run with recent production glocks, I'm wanting to make a switch. I want to like the M&P 9, I really do, but the lingering accuracy complaints have me scared off. The intended use will be training, and maybe concealed carry in the cooler months. I have a shield for a carry gun when I can't/don't want to hide something bigger.

I'd really like to give an RMR pistol a try. Unfortunately I don't know any one close to me that has one for me to run a box or two of ammo through. Such is life, I'm willing to try anyway. Because of the M&P 9 accuracy concerns I'm thinking about getting an M&P 45 with an RMR. I reload for both 45 and 9 mm, so the cost of ammo is not a huge concern. I'd rather it be a 9, but it's more important to me that it's accurate. The shield is what is pushing me towards a full size M&P.

While I've been researching RMRs one of the down sides I've read about is increased time for the first shot. Recently I started thinking about a crimson trace laser grip to help with that. Is that a crappy idea? Am I spending way too much time and money cluttering up the gun?

It doesn't sound as "fun," but I'm starting to think I should put all this on the back burner (if not scrap the idea), get an HK P30 LEM and a set of sights and be done with it.

kodiakpb
07-09-13, 23:43
Recently I started thinking about a crimson trace laser grip to help with that. Is that a crappy idea?

Yes it is

Just because you have an RMR doesn't mean you can't use your iron sights. If you can pick up your front sight post for the first shot on a non RMR'd equipped pistol, you can do the same with one that has one (assumption: RMR is mounted in a milled slide with cowitnessed suppressor sights)....and that dot will be right there.

If you're looking for a 45 don't discount the FNX 45 Tactical. At 15+1 it is a fine weapon, and comes ready for optics.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/10/my8ava7y.jpg

bubba68
07-09-13, 23:46
If you want a polymer gun that is as good as any on the market and better than some look at the Springfield Armory guns. The XDM's are high quality and the ones I have work 100% with anything I feed them.

Check out the 9mm XDM with the 4.5 barrel it has an 18 round magazine. The 45 acp with the 4.5 barrel has a 13 round magazine. They both feel good in the hand. If you have a range you could go to and rent one or both to try I think you would like them

Just something to think about.

Kenneth
07-09-13, 23:55
I wouldn't be afraid to pick up a new M&P9. You could get a C.O.R.E. model that has th slide milled for a RMR already.

I have a full size M&P and want the sheild.

okie john
07-10-13, 00:40
Do any ranges near you rent guns? I saw an M&P CORE for rent at a local range near here. You might also visit a couple of action pistol matches in your area. Someone at one of them is probably running an RDS-equipped pistol and will probably encourage you shoot it.

Okie John

Avedis
07-10-13, 00:54
M&P CORE is plenty accurate even at 50 yards
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcR2armhilo

railpig314
07-10-13, 01:20
I really find this thread frustrating. I have carried 2nd through 4th gen Glocks. I have trusted my life with them on duty. I think that Glock makes the finest combat handgun on the market today. The M&P and Springfield pistols are cheap copies of the Glock. I know several LE agencies in Michigan that are switching back to Glock. I really don't know what problems you have had. I have found that most issues are with operator error. Glocks are like Chevys. They run and run well. Just my two cents.....

Tzed250
07-10-13, 04:31
I am happy with my Steyr M40-A1. Of course if you want 9mm then the M9-A1 is available.

JonInWA
07-10-13, 08:05
I recommend the following:

In 9mm: Glock 17, HK P30, P30L, 2000, Sigpro 2022

In .40: HK P30/P30L,USP, Glock G22 Gen4, Smith & Wesson M&P

In .45 ACP: Glock G21 (Gen 3 and Gen4), HK45/45C, USP, M&P

Best, Jon

Psalms144.1
07-10-13, 08:43
I had my own string of bad G19s, which I've detailed ad nauseum in other threads, if anyone wants the "dirt" on it. In fairness, my current Gen4 G19 has been flawless after I installed the Apex FRE on it.

I'm also leery of the M&P FS, since, as much as I want to like the S&W product, the lingering questions about barreling, locking/unlocking timing, etc. keep me away.

I have both a P30 LEM and a P2000 LEM; of the two I STRONGLY prefer the P2000, based on shootability (the LEM on it is much easier to "run" than the P30's) and concealment.

Regards,

Kevin

125 mph
07-10-13, 08:52
Can you explain about the p2000 a little more please? How is the lem different from the p30?

Psalms144.1
07-10-13, 10:02
One of the things you have to love to hate about the HK line of pistols is that each of them tends to be evolutionary from the previous line. So, there are subtle differences in key trigger components in each of the models of their "modern" pistols (USP, P2000, and P30). Even though there are many parts which are interchangeable, man of them match up differently, so the "feel" of the trigger in each pistol tends to be different.

In my case, my P30's LEM take up is SLIGHTLY lighter than the P2000, but the "break" is noticeably heavier and "harder." That makes it very difficult, for me, to smoothly and consistently press the trigger through its entire arc, and, instead, I tend to quickly take up the slack and then have to press harder to break through "the wall."

With the P2000, the full trigger press weight seems more consistent, so that the "wall" is less significant, and it's easier FOR ME, to press through it smoothly without a hesitation.

The net result FOR ME, WITH MY PISTOLS, is that I shoot the P2000 measurably more accurately, especially at longer ranges, than I do my P30 - even though the P2000 has a shorter barrel and sight radius.

WRT carrying either, as I write I've got a P2000 concealed IWB under a loose-fit underarmour T-shirt. I can't pull that off with my P30, due to it's longer grip. Also, I prefer holsters that have limited cant - 5-8 degrees seems to work best for me, and, in the holsters I like best, the P30 tends to "print" a bit more than the P2000 with typical cover garments.

Hope that helps!

Regards,

Kevin

125 mph
07-10-13, 10:24
That's very helpful. Which variant p30 do you have? If I go p30, I am looking at the v1 light lem for a lighter break (top gun supply has these in stock at a very good price if anyone else is interested).

srcochran49
07-10-13, 10:25
I would agree with your final thought on the issue. Scrap the idea for now, as I don't believe RMR sights are reliable enough for a carry gun at this time.
Get an HK with LEM and a good set of night sights, whichever model you prefer. Or perhaps a Walther PPQ with a set of sights.

Talon167
07-10-13, 10:58
M&P CORE is plenty accurate even at 50 yards
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcR2armhilo

This is what I was going to recommend if you want an M&P. They make one in 4" and 5" with the slide already milled, suppressor sights, and ready for a red-dot!

Talon167
07-10-13, 11:02
That's very helpful. Which variant p30 do you have? If I go p30, I am looking at the v1 light lem for a lighter break (top gun supply has these in stock at a very good price if anyone else is interested).

I have a P30 40, in Lite LEM I bought from TGS a few months ago. Very nice gun and great trigger. If you're used to shooting a Glock or M&P, learning this trigger will be easy. The Lite LEM is much smoother, though, IMO. I don't have any experience with the 'regular' LEM, but the Lite breaks at 4.5lbs and the 'regular' is 5.5-6lbs if I recall.

Plus, with the P30 you get the ergonomics of the P30. The best on the market with all it interchangeable straps.

Psalms144.1
07-10-13, 12:25
That's very helpful. Which variant p30 do you have? If I go p30, I am looking at the v1 light lem for a lighter break (top gun supply has these in stock at a very good price if anyone else is interested).My P30 started out as the "standard" LEM, and I converted it to the "TLG" LEM by swapping out to the lighter Firing Pin Block spring (a 10 minute job even for a ham-fisted ape like me).

I haven't worked with the "Light" LEM, but I know that I like a positive reset, based on decades of Glock use. IIRC, the difference between the "TLG" LEM and the Light LEM is just a lightened Trigger Return Spring, which I didn't want to try based on loss of reset "feel."

Anyone who's compared both triggers, I'd be interested in your opinions on comparing the two...

Regards,

Kevin

crusader377
07-10-13, 12:34
After a frustrating run with recent production glocks, I'm wanting to make a switch. I want to like the M&P 9, I really do, but the lingering accuracy complaints have me scared off. The intended use will be training, and maybe concealed carry in the cooler months. I have a shield for a carry gun when I can't/don't want to hide something bigger.

I'd really like to give an RMR pistol a try. Unfortunately I don't know any one close to me that has one for me to run a box or two of ammo through. Such is life, I'm willing to try anyway. Because of the M&P 9 accuracy concerns I'm thinking about getting an M&P 45 with an RMR. I reload for both 45 and 9 mm, so the cost of ammo is not a huge concern. I'd rather it be a 9, but it's more important to me that it's accurate. The shield is what is pushing me towards a full size M&P.

While I've been researching RMRs one of the down sides I've read about is increased time for the first shot. Recently I started thinking about a crimson trace laser grip to help with that. Is that a crappy idea? Am I spending way too much time and money cluttering up the gun?

It doesn't sound as "fun," but I'm starting to think I should put all this on the back burner (if not scrap the idea), get an HK P30 LEM and a set of sights and be done with it.

I think the M&P 9 is a great choice and I have been very satisfied with mine which is a 2010 model. I have had no problems with accuracy on mine and I have heard that the current production guns are much more consistently accurate.

Plus the M&P 9 full size and the M&P 9 shield complement each other very well and it is the combination that I have for my home defense and CCW pistols.

That said, if you are not too invested in any particular platform, I would take a serious look at the Walther PPQ in 9mm. I haven't heard of any problems with the PPQ and many rate it the best striker fired polymer framed pistol currently in production.

Big A
07-10-13, 12:55

I think you're over thinking this. I've never really seen the need for an RMR on a carry pistol, but that's just me...

I would agree with your final thought on the issue. Scrap the idea for now, as I don't believe RMR sights are reliable enough for a carry gun at this time.
Get an HK with LEM and a good set of night sights, whichever model you prefer. Or perhaps a Walther PPQ with a set of sights.

I think this is your best answer although I would still consider the M&P 9 as well.

okie john
07-10-13, 15:09
I really find this thread frustrating. I have carried 2nd through 4th gen Glocks. I have trusted my life with them on duty. I think that Glock makes the finest combat handgun on the market today. The M&P and Springfield pistols are cheap copies of the Glock. I know several LE agencies in Michigan that are switching back to Glock. I really don't know what problems you have had. I have found that most issues are with operator error. Glocks are like Chevys. They run and run well. Just my two cents.....

Welcome to M4 Carbine.

This thread is based on the common understanding that some Gen 3 and Gen 4 Glock 9mm pistols suffer from reliability issues that were unknown in earlier Glocks. These problems are not widespread, but that is of little comfort if you find yourself with one of the afflicted guns. One of my favorite things about this forum is that posters here are very careful not to whine about things without a LOT of justification and research.

My Glocks, even the ones in the problematic serial number range, ran just fine for the entire time I've owned them. But I'm sitting here today with little burns shaped like 9mm brass on my face and chest because my EDC G17 started to throw brass into my face this weekend after somewhere north of 7,000 trouble-free rounds in the last year. It also left a piece of fired brass reversed in the ejection port in the middle of a magazine. I like to think that I could fight through hot brass bouncing off of my noggin and falling down my shirt if required, but tying up the gun is unforgivable.

I spent 16 years carrying a 1911 after I got out of the Army and I didn't have these problems. I didn't have them while putting several thousand rounds through various M-9's while I was on active duty. And I didn't have them with a Gen 1 G17, two other early Gen 3 G17's, a Gen 2 G19, a pair of early Gen3 G19's, a Gen 3 G23, and a Gen 3 G22.

But I've got them now and so do a lot of other folks, which is why threads like this one exist.

If you search the threads here, you'll find a ton of evidence to verify the brass-to-the-face (BTF) and other ejection issues. You'll also find a solid troubleshooting path and a list of viable fixes, one of which is to adopt another make and model of pistol.

Okie John

railpig314
07-10-13, 19:05
Sir,
Of the hundreds of thousands of rounds I have fired with all of the Glocks I have owned / issued to me, I have never had that kind of problem. Maybe you should call Glock or send the pistol in to them. I have had Sigs as duty weapons and they sucked!! Again just my experience. I still think that Glock makes the best combat pistol in the world......
Dave

okie john
07-10-13, 19:13
Sir,
Of the hundreds of thousands of rounds I have fired with all of the Glocks I have owned / issued to me, I have never had that kind of problem. Maybe you should call Glock or send the pistol in to them. I have had Sigs as duty weapons and they sucked!! Again just my experience. I still think that Glock makes the best combat pistol in the world......
Dave

If you do a search and really read the threads on these issues, you'll see that Glock isn't very helpful. That's part of the troubleshooting path that I mentioned.

Okie John

Dobie
07-10-13, 19:21
Sir,
Of the hundreds of thousands of rounds I have fired with all of the Glocks I have owned / issued to me

Impressive, the cost for that many rounds is high and beyond most people's reach.

Psalms144.1
07-10-13, 19:32
Dave - not to derail, and I applaud your brand loyalty, but several of us here have just as much experience with Glocks as you have, and had SIGNIFICANT issues with 2010-2012 9mm Glocks. I personally had to return FOUR, the last two of which were "hand picked" for me by CS senior managers, none of which would reliably function, and all of which would throw brass into my forehead hard enough and often enough that I'd come off the range with bleeding cuts across my face.

Before you start the usual apologist litany, I've been shooting Glocks since the early 90s, I'm a Glock armorer, and, between 2008 and 2012 I shot my issued G19 in numerous high-end training courses and carried them into active war zones and extreme threat environments with no hesitation. But, my personal Glocks simply would not work.

Regards,

Kevin

SmokinSigs357
07-10-13, 19:34
If you are not happy with your Glocks and hearing bad things about the accuracy of the M&P (I really haven't heard much about this...the only complaints of the M&P I've heard are the triggers)...you may want to consider the Walther PPQ.

I love my P30, but the platform is different...hammer vs striker fired....anyway, the only complaint I'm hearing (and shared on these very forums by many, including Larry Vickers) is the stock sights.

They have been functioning very well, accuracy beyond belief, and the best out of the box trigger for a poly combat pistol.

railpig314
07-10-13, 19:43
Ok,
That has not been my experience. I understand what you guys are saying. I just do not understand why people are recommending weapons like the M&P or the Springfield. I have seen the problems people are having with them in the field.
As far as Glock CS goes, I have not had a problem with them either. I guess everyone has their own problems. Like I said before, just putting in my own two cents.

Oh yeah,
100,000 rounds is expensive. I have been lucky and have been able to have most of that ammo issued to me. I have bought some of it, but most was issued. I shoot a lot more then most people at my agency.

Thank you for being so polite and not just passing me over. I like the fact that this forum has some reasonable people and the replies I have got back have been intelligent.
Dave

Fox33
07-10-13, 20:26
my 2 cents in a bucket of dimes

I think one of the most important aspects of buying any new pistol is the hand index. For if your hand index sucks follow up shots are going to be really hard.

With that in mind I refer to hand index is much like running shoes, each one fit each person differently. You have to find which one fits for you.

Each of the major brands makes fine pistols but also each has its quirks

IMO the gen3 glocks (17.19.21) are the best for ME

Now if it was up to me I'd have the XDM trigger in a glock with the ergos of a M&P and dawson sights in one gun out of the box

and everyone here is going to see that differently

for the most part go get what fits your hand best, shoot the crap out of it, get trained with it, go compete with it, then you will figure out what works for you

then your question will be what modifications improve x on gun Z and those are the questions that really help you fine tune

okie john
07-10-13, 21:59
Thank you for being so polite and not just passing me over.

Like I said, welcome to M4Carbine.

Okie John

Snake Plissken
07-10-13, 22:35
Christ almighty, avoid the LEM triggers on H&K. They got popular for a bit and people like myself spent some money trying them out.

They're shit and get hyped into mediocrity. Super long takeup, horrible break, mile long reset, and are novel attempt at making a hammer gun feel like a striker gun. No matter how much I practice with my P2000 LEM, running it fast is near impossible. Todd Green's sperglord praising sucked us all into it.

MegademiC
07-10-13, 23:33
If you want an m&p9, get an m&p9... the accuracy issued are rare in the big picture, and last I could tell, people with accuracy issues had them fixed by SW, on SW's dime. It seems to me they are dealing with it correctly, other than putting out 100% guns to start :/

2 of my friends just got m&p 9s and I still have yet to put em on paper(ill post about it when I do), but I they seemed accurate during my short time with them.

125 mph
07-10-13, 23:43
Just to clarify, I don't think Glocks are bad pistols across the board. I'm just not interested in them at this time. Mine were very ammunition sensitive and that's not something I'm willing to tolerate. I don't want a defensive tool that is running at the ragged edge of reliability. For all those that have them and are being served well by them, that's great and I hope they continue to preform for you.

I went to a gun shop after work today and rented an M&P 9 full size. The trigger reset was long and intangible, but that didn't bother me too much. I was able to track the front sight well shooting quickly, and I liked the control lay out. The pistol seemed to group well enough. The range only went out to 20 yards so that was as far as I was able to shoot, but off hand it seemed to group as well as my glock at that distance. Nothing about the pistol wowed me, but there were also no major faults. For a tool, I'm not sure what more you can reasonably ask.

The shop also had a PPQ M2 for sale. The only reason I wrote off the PPQ before was I didn't think I'd be able to find one. If there were more parts compatibility between the shield and the full size M&P, that would probably be enough to make my decision. But since that's not the case, I think the PPQ is the safest bet for me. No accuracy concerns and a great trigger. Anyone have a line on M2 magazines?

Thanks everyone for the great feed back. There was some awesome information provided here and that's what makes this site such a great resource. I really appreciate all the replies.

Hogsgunwild
07-11-13, 04:10
Christ almighty, avoid the LEM triggers on H&K. They got popular for a bit and people like myself spent some money trying them out.

They're shit and get hyped into mediocrity. Super long takeup, horrible break, mile long reset, and are novel attempt at making a hammer gun feel like a striker gun. No matter how much I practice with my P2000 LEM, running it fast is near impossible. Todd Green's sperglord praising sucked us all into it.

There is a lot of truth spoken here. For someone that shoots a hell of a lot, this may not be as big of a deal, but, as much as I absolutely love H&Ks, have owned four light LEMs (still have the HK45C), and still fight the urge to buy the P30, P2000 and P2000SK models, I would and did go the PPQ / P99C route and have not looked back. Not one single malfunction in five 9MM Walthers that I began purchasing within the last two years. I did have one faulty 15 round magazine out of the 25 factory mags that I now own. In fairness to H&K, I should have run the TLG trigger set-up to optimize the triggers but the H&K's accuracy and reliability wooed me as it was.

My Glocks (owned eight since 1991, still have a Gen 4 G20) were extremely reliable too, but, they were never optimal for me and I had dumped Glock well before the reliability fiasco in recent years.

I still want to like the M&P line, but, except for my Shield (which I use often and find no fault with) I have found them to be a very "needy" handgun when it comes to needing various fixes. I have four besides the Shield and they were / are all in need of various fixes.

SmokinSigs357
07-11-13, 07:51
Just to clarify, I don't think Glocks are bad pistols across the board. I'm just not interested in them at this time. Mine were very ammunition sensitive and that's not something I'm willing to tolerate. I don't want a defensive tool that is running at the ragged edge of reliability. For all those that have them and are being served well by them, that's great and I hope they continue to preform for you.

I went to a gun shop after work today and rented an M&P 9 full size. The trigger reset was long and intangible, but that didn't bother me too much. I was able to track the front sight well shooting quickly, and I liked the control lay out. The pistol seemed to group well enough. The range only went out to 20 yards so that was as far as I was able to shoot, but off hand it seemed to group as well as my glock at that distance. Nothing about the pistol wowed me, but there were also no major faults. For a tool, I'm not sure what more you can reasonably ask.

The shop also had a PPQ M2 for sale. The only reason I wrote off the PPQ before was I didn't think I'd be able to find one. If there were more parts compatibility between the shield and the full size M&P, that would probably be enough to make my decision. But since that's not the case, I think the PPQ is the safest bet for me. No accuracy concerns and a great trigger. Anyone have a line on M2 magazines?

Thanks everyone for the great feed back. There was some awesome information provided here and that's what makes this site such a great resource. I really appreciate all the replies.

Someone will always post magazine availability and links on Walther Forums...the magazines are slowly making it over. Good choice on the PPQ!

Snake hit the nail on the head about the LEM. I went to buy a HK 45 a couple of months back and they had a P30 with light LEM and the thing felt like a spongy revolver with plastic trigger...much prefer my DA/SA P30.

ScatmanCrothers
07-11-13, 11:19
Someone will always post magazine availability and links on Walther Forums...the magazines are slowly making it over. Good choice on the PPQ!

Agreed. I've had a M2 for a few months now and I'm a big fan. Put some mepros on it for now until (hopefully) some HD's or I-dots come out for it.

Accuracy is superb. It's test target from 15m was just ridiculously good, doesn't mean much but always a plus before purchase, and with the large backstrap installed it forces my hands to grip as high as possible giving me as much control over it as my G19.

Walther stated they were sending over 4 to 5,000 M2 mags and they started shipping out from distributors (i've heard) this week so they should be available full swing soon.

I want to try an M1 but the button release has given me no issues. Will still see what it's all about eventually though.

MAUSER202
07-11-13, 16:54
You wont regret the Walther, check out LAV's thread on it.

SteveL
07-11-13, 20:57
I have an M&P9 and an M&P9c. Both guns have Apex DCAEK's and RAM's in them and both have served me well. Each one has over 1,000 rounds through it. The only issue I've ever seen with either one was when my wife got a series of malf's with the full sized gun. The only thing I can attribute them too was limp wristing. I never thought that would be an issue with this gun, but the instant I took it from her and started shooting it myself the malfunctions ceased and I've never been able to replicate them since. I recently shot a pistol course with the FS gun and all I did was apply some Frog Lube the night before the class started and it got me through all three days with no problem. It hadn't seen a thorough cleaning in several hundred rounds beforehand either. I haven't found the accuracy with either of them to be an issue, but if I'm being completely honest here I doubt that I'm accurate enough myself to be able to tell.

Having said all that, I recently acquired a PPQ M1 (paddle release) and it's quickly becoming my favorite. The grip is the most comfortable I've ever held and the trigger is better right out of the box than my M&Ps even with all the Apex parts in the guns (and the Apex parts made them considerably better than they were to start with). After I get a couple hundred more rounds through it it will probably become my daily carry weapon. That's not to say that I doubt the M&P's or that I'm not confident in them in any way. I just like the PPQ a bit better.

I understand this is a small sample size and I'm certainly no expert. I'm just relating my experience in case it's of any benefit to anyone. OP good luck with your decision.

DeusVult
07-14-13, 03:47
I am happy with my Steyr M40-A1. Of course if you want 9mm then the M9-A1 is available.
I 2nd that emotion. I liked my M9-A1 so much, I bought a spare.

pat701
07-14-13, 09:07
Take serious look at a Sig SP2022 DA/SA, or P250 it has one very smooth DOA trigger.

Armati
07-14-13, 15:06
Other than all metal Beretta 92's (which I still love), I now prefer to roll my own Glocks:

http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Products.aspx?CAT=3168

ResIpsa
07-14-13, 16:47
I settled on the M&P platform a few years ago mostly for the ergos and availability of parts, but recent events have driven me to look again. From there, I have been torn between going Glock or PPQ. I think that I have settled on the PPQ because everything is good enough (except for sights) out of the box. And, M&P magazines seem to be suffering from nearly the same availability issues. I think that sights really are the only thing left holding this gun back.

jyo
07-16-13, 00:51
First, I am a very experienced shooter (translation: old guy)---I've shot dozens of guns over the years---carried guns for work---cocked n' locked, SA, DA/SA, Glock style triggers, DAO, revolvers, etc. Personally, I find that two of the FINEST pistols are the HK P30S and the P2000 (both DA/SA, 9mm)---never have failed to function (gotta like that!)---great feel in the hand---I can recommend them! For concealment, I can't think of a finer pistol than the P2000---that's all folks...

veteran-USMC
09-03-13, 12:04
Member: The Walther PPQ 9mm handgun has one of the best striker fired triggers I have ever fired. It's light & the reset of the trigger is very short. This handgun is extremely accurate & reliable.
Here's a couple of links to look at -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJaJmNPJpf8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzvALwhUbjQ&list=PL3E8B60DDAA0BA907

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=102115

Enjoy

win_nut
09-04-13, 22:55
I would rent a P2000, P30, USP COMPACT, Walther PPQ and a Sig P239. Find out for yourself what fits you the best. LEM triggers aren't for everyone, I have a P30 9mm v1, works great for me, but I shoot my USP40 da/sa better. I carry a Sig P232, fun to shoot and easy to conceal. My personal opinion, stay away from S&W and Springfield. You just need to figure out what fits your hand, and go from there.

walkin' trails
09-05-13, 06:53
I have two M&Ps, a 9 and a 45, both full size. The 45 was first and the only major problem was a broken striker after 7500 rounds and an equal number of dry fire trigger presses. I bought the 9 in July, and after 500 rounds, it has worked fine - no hiccups or accuracy issues. I was a ling time Glock shooter and didn't have any transition issues. My only experience with H&K pistols was with USP compacts years ago. One would not work out of the box, and the others shot fine but not so much better to draw me away from Glocks. A police department in my area used to issue the USP 45 and ended up going to Glock 21s after having issues. I don't know what problems they had, but they seem happier now. On the other hand, the Border Patrol has issued the H&K in 40 for years and is apparently doing well with them after having a mixed bag of problems with the Beretta 96D. ICE on the other hand dropped the USPc LEM for the P229 DAK after the merger. Whatever you decide to go with, just make sure you break it in according to the owners manual as opposed to urban legend. Once upon a time I bought a new Glock 19. I was told the copper colored stuff inside was a lubricant, and went to the range dry. At 101 rounds, it was so dry it would no longer function.

Regarding RMR sights, 10-8 Performance has a good blog on them on their Modern Service Pistol site.