PDA

View Full Version : Magpul STR vs ACS

Badger89
07-10-13, 03:20
Which stock would you recommend for an "all purpose" type rifle? The primary setup will be a Noveske 16" Recon or Light Recce upper with a 13.5" NSR, 1-6x scope, BUIS, light, and possibly a grip pod. The scope may also be periodically interchanged with an Aimpoint Pro. Sling will most likely be attached at the Noveske QD endplate, and a QD mount toward the receiver end of the handguard. Unfortunately I do not have the option of checking them both out before making a purchase, so I'm trying to make an educated decision. I'm not asking about cheek weld impressions either, since that's highly subjective and honestly I expect them to be similar.

Reasons why I like the ACS:

Capacity for 2 additional CR123 batteries total vs STR
Additional side storage compartment - could be used for small bottle of lube or spare parts
End caps for battery tubes are tethered to the stock

Reasons why I like the STR:

Additional sling loop vs ACS (which I'll probably never use, but you never know)
Just under 2 oz. lighter than the ACS
0.65" shorter than the ACS - shorter is better for my since I have a small frame. I usually run a standard carbine length stock only 1 click out, and the ACS is a full inch longer than a standard collapsible stock.

I was originally going to go with the ACS for the additional storage and tethered caps, but now I'm leaning toward the STR due to the shorter overall length... Does anyone fully utilize all the storage space in the ACS or is the STR's offering sufficient? Is there anything else I should consider when deciding between the two?

Also, on a related note, does anyone know the UPC codes for the mil-spec versions of these two stocks? I can't find them in stock in FDE anywhere, so I've been looking at Ebay but I don't want to end up with a commercial stock by mistake, or some cheap Chinese knock off... The UPCs I'm seeing are 873750006246 for the STR and 873750001012 for the ACS... Nevermind, verified the UPCs through Midway.

Thanks guys!

Lopro619
07-10-13, 04:13
STR has the bigger cheek weld

Ark1443
07-10-13, 08:05
I run the STR on both of my carbines. It's comes down to personal preference as always; it's what I prefer.

Itsahak
07-10-13, 08:13
I have tried them both. I prefer the STR. On a related note, when I took the Magpul Carbine 1 class last October, John Canipe from MD stated the STR was, in his opinion, the best stock they made....

Koshinn
07-10-13, 08:18
I have tried them both. I prefer the STR. On a related note, when I took the Magpul Carbine 1 class last October, John Canipe from MD stated the STR was, in his opinion, the best stock they made....

In many people's opinion, the STR is the best stock made by anyone.

Cylinder Head
07-10-13, 09:18
I ran the ACS for a few years and liked it, recently bought an STR and it's a wrap, the STR is the only stock I will run on any of my rifles going forward. Best compromise of weight, length, strength, lockup, and storage out there.

RMiller
07-10-13, 09:25
If I had to pick one it would be the STR. The storage is overrated. The STR will go shorter and provides a better check weld.

I personally run a VLTOR IMOD.

Tonyparson
07-10-13, 09:26
Another vote for STR. 👍

pinzgauer
07-10-13, 10:08
STR. Do you really want to turn your carbine into a butt pack by loading up the storage?

KISS.... Maybe store a pair of Lithium CR123's if your RDS uses them and you are paranoid about battery life.

Then again, I don't like storing stuff in the grip either!

jerrysimons
07-10-13, 10:13
Both stocks will fit on a seven position Vltor A5 receiver extension!:cool:
I would choose the STR since it scored second next to the UBR in Military Time's buttstock bash test, http://blogs.militarytimes.com/gearscout/2012/02/01/buttstock-bashfest-gearscout-finds-out-just-how-far-tough-talk-goes/

You have to ask your self if you really are going to use the storage that it would matter if you had the greater capacity of the ACS. Though being heavier slightly, the ACS might balance out a heavier barrel better than the STR.

FWIW.

Kain
07-10-13, 10:35
I have an ACS that at one point I did try to see if it was worth filling to the brim with all the little things I thought I might need. Weighed it and then gutted it and weighed it. Between the shit I stuffed in the ACS and in the grip there was a 3/4 POUND difference. That's a lot. Any more I just run a few batteries in the stock and a couple extra pairs of ear pro and that is pretty much it. Now I still love the ACS, it fits me very well and I would buy it again, but storage can be a little over rated. Best advice in my opinion is see if you can't try both and go from there, fit and feel should be the top priority.

ra2bach
07-10-13, 14:23
my choices would be between the STR and the ACS "L"...

Little Creek
07-10-13, 14:51
I have one ACS, one STR, one MOE, and a Colt/Rogers super stock. I definitely like the STR over the ACS. I tried the MOE with the 1/2" cheek riser. That was too high. I have a 1/4" riser on order. If I like the MOE with the 1/4" riser, then I would probably prefer the CTR with a 1/4" riser.

Tonyparson
07-10-13, 15:00
I almost bought the STR but ended up buying the CTR to go on the BCM I just order.

jbo723
07-10-13, 15:02
I'm also in the camp that feels the STR is possibly the best stock on the market.

Psybain
07-10-13, 19:13
I replaced the moe stock on my ddm4 with a str back in February and never looked back. I absolutely love it, and wish I could use it on my issue m4 for deployments.

uffdaphil
07-10-13, 20:40
STR and B5 Sopmod tie for number one in my book. CTR close second. The ACS-L feels good, but I think it's just plain ugly.

Rockhopper
07-10-13, 21:03
STR and B5 Sopmodthis. i run the str only because the b5 was not available to try when i bought my stock. i personally feel these are the best two stocks on the market period.

Plasman
07-10-13, 22:21
I guess I'm the odd man out. I didn't like the STR. It was too wide for me and the angle of the buttpad didn't fit me well. I do enjoy my Vltor iMod and B5 Bravo though. I also have a MOE which I don't care for much.

STONE-YARDER
07-10-13, 23:08
STR all day long, for all the above reasons.

Badger89
07-11-13, 02:22
Thanks for the replies guys. I honestly didn't expect the STR to win by such a landslide, but since it did I can't really ignore all those recommendations... Just ordered a mil-spec STR in FDE from ECOP Police Supply through Ebay - one of the only places I found it in stock. The price was right and the shipping was free, so as long as it arrives as described I'll be happy. Thanks again for helping me with my decision.

Endur
07-11-13, 02:50
STR > the rest

As for buying from ebay I would search that company just to make sure you didn't buy a knockoff or airsoft version. Just as a heads up.

Badger89
07-11-13, 02:54
STR > the rest

As for buying from ebay I would search that company just to make sure you didn't buy a knockoff or airsoft version. Just as a heads up.
Yep, good advice and I did. They appear to be based out of Lancaster TX, they have their own website and seem legit. Feedback was 99.5% positive and they've been doing business since '05. A quick Google search brought up a thread over on arfcom where someone said they had purchased from them and all went well. Magpul product number and UPC checked out as well. I guess I'll know for sure when it arrives on Friday or Monday.

EDIT: Stock arrived today - no surprises. Real deal FDE Magpul STR mil-spec stock in the Magpul box with the installation instructions, a Magpul sticker, and one dummy round. ECOP Police Supply is GTG, and they've got some fairly decent deals through their Ebay store.

Obscenejesster
07-11-13, 08:47
I picked up a STR a couple months ago from Joe Bob's. I was surprised to see it on sale for $81. I like it a lot more than the MOE it replaced. The cheek weld is much better and the weight balanced the rifle out pretty well.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Moose-Knuckle
07-11-13, 17:12
I have one STR and like it, I also have CTRs and B5 SOPMODs and like them. The ACS never appealed to me.

Gear Scout's Buttstock Bashfest rated the STR pretty high. . .

http://blogs.militarytimes.com/gearscout/2012/02/01/buttstock-bashfest-gearscout-finds-out-just-how-far-tough-talk-goes/

Icculus
07-12-13, 09:09
my choices would be between the STR and the ACS "L"...

The only other person I saw mention the correct answer: ACS-L

I have an ACS, CTR, ACS-L and tried the STR. Yes the regular ACS is a big heavy pig which, imho, is best for balancing out a very front heavy rifle. Ditch the battery storage though and you end up with about the perfect stock; the ACS-L. Of course if you don't need your stock to collapse over a Vltor A5 extension then I might just say the heck with the fancy ones and stick with the classic CTR. YMMV

EDIT: Just reread and saw you already picked up the STR. Enjoy

ra2bach
07-12-13, 11:20
The only other person I saw mention the correct answer: ACS-L

I have an ACS, CTR, ACS-L and tried the STR. Yes the regular ACS is a big heavy pig which, imho, is best for balancing out a very front heavy rifle. Ditch the battery storage though and you end up with about the perfect stock; the ACS-L. Of course if you don't need your stock to collapse over a Vltor A5 extension then I might just say the heck with the fancy ones and stick with the classic CTR. YMMV

EDIT: Just reread and saw you already picked up the STR. Enjoy

well it can't be too perfect if you and I are the only ones who think so...

;)