PDA

View Full Version : aimpoint opinions

Staind503
04-11-08, 16:44
i'm looking to buy and aimpoint in the near future i want to get either a comp m3 or m4 and i just wanted to know people opinions about both of them i know i want a 2 moa dot which the you can only get in an m4 so the fact that the m3 can have a 4 moa doesnt interest me thanks

davemcdonald
04-11-08, 17:35
I just got an M4 for my SBR and I like it. I took the kill flash off because I did care for it but I like the super long battery life on a common battery. I think the M3 averages out a little cheaper thean the M4 after you mount it so that is something to consider.

Dave

czydj
04-11-08, 17:38
Do you plan on scuba diving with your aimpoint or using NVG? If not, you might want to look at the CompC3 and save a ben franklin...

hth!

johnson601
04-11-08, 17:45
I just purchased a C3 w/2moa and like it alot, if you dont need to dive with it then I think the C3 would work for you.

FJB
04-15-08, 19:41
As has already been stated you can get 2 MOA dot with CompM3 and CompC3 sights. If you are not diving with your carbine and optic, nor using it extensively with night vision or worried about down range signature of the red dot at night than a CompC3 will work very well for you.

The following information is based strictly on MSRP, not the deal that you might be able to get from LaRue Tactical, ATS Tactical Gear, or M4Carbine.

CompM4 - $780 w/ Integral QRP II Mount 2 MOA AA battery 80,000 hours

CompM3 - $556 w/out mount 2 or 4 MOA dot 1/3N Lithium 50,000 hours
- $671 w/ QRP Mount w/Spacer @ $115
- $666 w/ American Defense AD68 Mount @ $110
- $671 w/ LaRue Tactical Mount @ $115
- $709 w/ ARMS Mount @ $153
- $721 w/ GG&G Mount @ $165

CompC3 - $415 w/out out mount 2 or 4 MOA dot 1/3N Lithium 50,000 hours
- $530 w/ QRP Mount w/spacer @ $115
- $525 w/ American Defense AD68 Mount @ $110
- $530 w/ LaRue Tactical Mount @ $115
- $568 w/ ARMS Mount @ $153
- $580 w/ GG&G Mount @ $165

S/F

ampfizo
04-15-08, 21:30
from reading other aimpoint post here...cant go wrong with either..

LBG375
04-15-08, 22:05
I own both the M3 2moa, and the M4. They are both solid sights. In my opinion, the only differences, besides the price, are the type of battery and battery life in the M4, and the differences in the base of the sights. The M4 screws directly into it's mount which prevents any type of cant in the sight as opposed to the M3 which goes into a ring. This may be a negative if you are left handed, or do a lot of support side shooting, as the battery compartment/control knob might block part of your field of view because you can't rotate it to the left like the M3. The new M4B will make that a non issue as the compartment will be moved to the bottom of the sight.

exitinyourhead
04-15-08, 22:34
comp m3 is a great sight... i've done lots of shooting with mine and no problems whatsoever.

Parabellum9x19mm
04-16-08, 02:11
i really like my ML3 2MOA in LT mount.

if you are not planning on using NVGs and want a 2MOA dot go with the ML3

Staind503
04-16-08, 03:10
I own both the M3 2moa, and the M4. They are both solid sights. In my opinion, the only differences, besides the price, are the type of battery and battery life in the M4, and the differences in the base of the sights. The M4 screws directly into it's mount which prevents any type of cant in the sight as opposed to the M3 which goes into a ring. This may be a negative if you are left handed, or do a lot of support side shooting, as the battery compartment/control knob might block part of your field of view because you can't rotate it to the left like the M3. The new M4B will make that a non issue as the compartment will be moved to the bottom of the sight.

when does this m4b come out and where can i find some info on it?

czydj
04-16-08, 05:08
As has already been stated you can get 2 MOA dot with CompM3 and CompC3 sights. If you are not diving with your carbine and optic, nor using it extensively with night vision or worried about down range signature of the red dot at night than a CompC3 will work very well for you.

Does the kllflash filter fit the C3 and does it compensate for any downrange signature? Or is there some other feature with the M and ML series that does that?

http://www.aimpoint.com/cache/ttf/0eea2d1eb0ee9821cd.jpg

LBG375
04-16-08, 10:46
when does this m4b come out and where can i find some info on it?

FJB is the in the know guy on the M4B which I guess is going to be called the M4S. If you searched it here, there are some threads with some info on it. There is also info on other places on the web. They had it at Shot, and I think that right now they are filling mil orders on it, with a civvy release sometime in the next few months. That's just what I remember from what I've read, so don't quote me on it. Hopefully FJB will chime in on this, and put all speculation to rest.

exitinyourhead
04-16-08, 14:25
i really like my ML3 2MOA in LT mount.

if you are not planning on using NVGs and want a 2MOA dot go with the ML3

The LT mount is great but make sure you decide if you want to put a magnifier on your upper or not before buying one. they are not cheap and if you want a cantilever mount AFTER you buy a standard hi rise mount you'll be angry at yourself for not thinking of that first....

FJB
04-16-08, 23:53
czydj,
The ARD will fit in a CompC3.

LBG375 et al,
As I have posted elsewhere, the first prototype CompM4S given to me to test (which I did in a Jeff Gonzales three day 2300 rnd COC class 4-6 Oct 07 and a Vickers/Hackathorn Low Light 800rnd course - with great results) had a very large "B" in front of the CompM4s, ie. BCompM4s, leading me to think it was the "B" model. In fact Aimpoint A.B. had always designated it the CompM4S. So any and all confusion on the proper designator was my faulty logic and initial posts.

The CompM4S will be available for sale in the very near future. There is no ETA at this moment but it will be sold with additional standard features not currently available on the CompM4. I can't say more than that at this time. Please stay tuned in as we will post that information as soon as it is prudent.

S/F

N.Y.45 ACP
04-17-08, 07:45
Last week I bought from Grant the C3 with a Larue mount for $450. It is the 2 moa version.

IMHO it is the best buy out there.

I don't plan on doing any scuba or sub launches with my gear so its GTG for my needs.

Grant , thanks for stocking this great item at a fantastic price !

Ed

Submariner
04-17-08, 10:50
czydj,
The ARD will fit in a CompC3.

Roger. But "does it compensate for any downrange signature? Or is there some other feature with the M and ML series that does that?"

Like, say, the extra layers of lens coating on the M3?

Patrick Aherne
04-17-08, 11:15
Roger. But "does it compensate for any downrange signature? Or is there some other feature with the M and ML series that does that?"

Let's be realistic about the ARD. I look with my eyes, I don't have a magnifier on my rifle, therefore, if my Aimpoint is presenting a down-range signature, it means my rifle is on target and I am about to press the shot.

WesleyCE
04-17-08, 11:31
Let's be realistic about the ARD. I look with my eyes, I don't have a magnifier on my rifle, therefore, if my Aimpoint is presenting a down-range signature, it means my rifle is on target and I am about to press the shot.

Thats a pretty valid point.

Submariner
04-17-08, 12:53

No doubt. I've heard Pat-Whose-Name-Is-Not-Spoken-Here-Anymore say, on at least four occasions, that if someone sees his Aimpoint's down-range signature, it will be the next to last thing he sees. The muzzle flash will be the last.

ML's and C3's have many fewer layers of lens coating than does an M-version. Just as sound emitted from a submarine can lead to detection, so might light emitted from an Aimpoint. I'm just trying to understand how it works. (It's the left-over nuke in me.)

Parabellum9x19mm
04-17-08, 15:29
The LT mount is great but make sure you decide if you want to put a magnifier on your upper or not before buying one. they are not cheap and if you want a cantilever mount AFTER you buy a standard hi rise mount you'll be angry at yourself for not thinking of that first....

+1

i would say just spend a little exta money at get the cantilever anyway. it looks cool, it has battery storage and it puts the optic forward a little bit. all good things.

and as was mentioned, if you want a magnifier down the road, you are already GTG.

also.....

i have heard the KillFlash will interfere with use of BUIS. is this true?

fabulous45s
04-17-08, 20:49
I was planning on holding out for the M4S...until I found a great deal on an ACOG.

Just means I need another build for a M4S...and a build for the new Troy DMS...Damn this is addicting!

LBG375
04-17-08, 21:07
+1

i have heard the KillFlash will interfere with use of BUIS. is this true?

I haven't had any problems with mine. I zeroed my irons with the killflash installed on my M4 with no issues.

Oscar 319
04-17-08, 21:49
A Comp C3 in a AMD mount for a Law Enforcement Trunk Monkey (Patrol Carbine)? Adequate, or go with the ML3? I have no experience with Aimpoint other than I like them and must own one (or two). Of course, as with all married with children blue collar workers...price is an option.

FJB
04-18-08, 00:00
A Comp C3 in a AMD mount for a Law Enforcement Trunk Monkey (Patrol Carbine)? Adequate, or go with the ML3? I have no experience with Aimpoint other than I like them and must own one (or two). Of course, as with all married with children blue collar workers...price is an option.

You won't go wrong with a CompC3 in an AMD or LT mount for a Patrol Carbine.

S/F

FJB
04-18-08, 00:07

Sub,
The ARD minimizes glint off the glass so you won't give away your position to the enemy down range during daylight. Not really an issue in Iraq as your vehicles or large patrol elements already do that. It is an issue in Afghanistan. Remember METT-TSL drives gear requirements.

The additional lens coatings on an M series (ML and C series do not have the additional lens coatings) is what minimizes red dot down range signature at night. However, an ARD might minimize red dot down range signature at night for an ML or C series, something you can check and report back to us.

S/F

Submariner
04-25-08, 18:46
Sub,
The ARD minimizes glint off the glass so you won't give away your position to the enemy down range during daylight....

The additional lens coatings on an M series (ML and C series do not have the additional lens coatings) is what minimizes red dot down range signature at night. However, an ARD might minimize red dot down range signature at night for an ML or C series, something you can check and report back to us.

S/F

Never make a periscope approach with the target between you and the sun.:D

You answered my question on the lens coating for the M-series. Gracias.

I may just be able to rustle up an AN/PVS-14 and conduct the test (subjective, not objective) that you suggest.;)