PDA

View Full Version : 40 Round PMag Test & Review

plouffedaddy
07-10-13, 17:51
http://imageshack.us/a/img268/2369/359y.JPG

http://imageshack.us/a/img827/954/h8bi.png

I've been using these mags for a couple weeks now and here's a quick rundown of the new 40 round Gen M3 PMag from Magpul...

Pros:

-100% reliable in all of my riles thus far.
-Compatible with HK 416, SCAR 16, SA80, MK 16, Tavor, ect...
-According to Magpul, more durable than Gen2 MOE PMags
-Same marking system as all Gen M3 PMags
-40 rounds is obviously cooler than 30 rounds
-Compatible with the Maglink
-They survived multiple drop tests fully loaded without issue.

Cons:

-Firing from the prone
-They're tough to find currently
-Currently only out in black

Here's a video review with some shooting, a couple drop tests while loaded, and a discussion/demonstration of the pros and cons:

Magpul 40 Round PMag HD Video Review Link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLGrJXvlEoc)

Tiny Killer Robot
07-10-13, 19:37
I like Magpul and expect their stuff to be 100% reliable, but in a semi-automatic rifle, I prefer the 30 round mag. While I am a chop, I can't see a scenario where I am using semi-auto suppressing fire in an urban environment. Attempting to put accurate fire on target with a semi, I just don't think I'd burn through rounds so fast that I'd be willing to give up the pro's of a 30 round mag for the extra 10 shots. I am not willing to give up shooting prone (without raising up or rolling to the side) for the sake of 10 extra rounds. Then there is the snag/hangup factor if you need to be mobile in/around/through.
I think it's fine for range use, but 120 rounds means one extra mag change, so I don't even see it as a huge convenience there.
I would like to see Magpul put their thinking caps on and make a reliable, compact'ish 50 round mag. I don't need it, but I think it would be nice.

Kain
07-10-13, 19:43
Not really many cons per se. I like having a few 40rders just to have and because they piss off the liberals. Don't like those pesky 30rders, I've your remedy, it holds 40. I also have a beta mag as well for these situations. As far as tactical use, few and far between, but still like having the option if I were to ever need it.

That said, I must agree with Tiny Killer Robot, a 50rd quad stack would be the tits.

Swag
07-10-13, 21:55
My God, that thing is a monopod! But as long as it works which I have no doubt it does; wouldn't expect anything less from a Pmag right?

LoveAR
07-10-13, 22:03
Thanks for the review. Sticks out too far IMO. I would rather have several 30 round mags.

Tonyparson
07-10-13, 22:37
Thanks for the review.. I plan on getting a couple just to have when they are available.

LoveAR
07-10-13, 23:18
I will probably get at least one too just for the Libs.

ColtSeavers
07-10-13, 23:41
I'll stick with my surefire 60's, but thank you for the review.

HighDesert
07-10-13, 23:54
I'll stick with my surefire 60's, but thank you for the review.

The biiiiiiig pro of these Pmag 40s is also that they are less than 1/5 the price of the Surefire 60.

I snagged 5 of the Pmag 40s ($18.95) for less than the cost of 1 Surefire mag...

That's nothing but win.

Wake27
07-11-13, 00:12
The biiiiiiig pro of these Pmag 40s is also that they are less than 1/5 the price of the Surefire 60.

I snagged 5 of the Pmag 40s ($18.95) for less than the cost of 1 Surefire mag...

That's nothing but win.

That is a big pro. Plus I find PMAG's a lot easier to manually load (and unload), especially when you've lost count.

ColtSeavers
07-11-13, 00:22

That's nothing but win.

I bought mine back when they were ~$90.

Cash flow (or lack there-of) aside, I really cannot stand having something that ridiculously long and obnoxious hanging out from under my rifle just waiting to bash into and catch on anything it can.

For the same reason (as well as weight) I would never use the surefire 100 rounder.

Not trying to say that no one else should not get these, they're just not for me.

tpevan
07-11-13, 00:23
Glad they are working out alright. I may pick up one or two just to have once they come back in stock at all of the big distributors. Sounds like a much more viable option over Surefire 60s or 100s that go for gold and give sub-par performance. I'm still a 30 rounder type of guy by trade, but not saying wouldn't throw a 40 rounder or two in my patrol bag at work if they work well.

HighDesert
07-11-13, 00:36
I bought mine back when they were ~$90.

Cash flow (or lack there-of) aside, I really cannot stand having something that ridiculously long and obnoxious hanging out from under my rifle just waiting to bash into and catch on anything it can.

For the same reason (as well as weight) I would never use the surefire 100 rounder.

Not trying to say that no one else should not get these, they're just not for me.

Honestly, try one out - they really aren't as ridiculous as they seem from the pics, unless you do a lot of prone or bench shooting...

You would be hard pressed to tell the difference from the standard 30 from a weight and balance perspective...

Its also nice and convenient to just use two twenty round boxes with nothing left over :)

With that that said, I would not buy them if they were more than $30 a pop, but for a tad more than a windowed 30 it's awesome.

ColtSeavers
07-11-13, 00:52
The more I look at pics, the more I'd be very interested in seeing a side by side length comparison (free and inserted) of the surefire 60 and pmag 40.

ucrt
07-11-13, 00:54

I wonder how hard they are to load with strippers? Has anyone tried all 40 with strippers?

Alaskapopo
07-11-13, 01:10
I like Magpul and expect their stuff to be 100% reliable, but in a semi-automatic rifle, I prefer the 30 round mag. While I am a chop, I can't see a scenario where I am using semi-auto suppressing fire in an urban environment. Attempting to put accurate fire on target with a semi, I just don't think I'd burn through rounds so fast that I'd be willing to give up the pro's of a 30 round mag for the extra 10 shots. I am not willing to give up shooting prone (without raising up or rolling to the side) for the sake of 10 extra rounds. Then there is the snag/hangup factor if you need to be mobile in/around/through.
I think it's fine for range use, but 120 rounds means one extra mag change, so I don't even see it as a huge convenience there.
I would like to see Magpul put their thinking caps on and make a reliable, compact'ish 50 round mag. I don't need it, but I think it would be nice.

I am of the opinion that you should have different mags for different uses. For shooting off a bench or a bi pod on the ground 20 round mags are nice. For most uses 30 rounders work great. For instances where your mainly worried about CQB and don't need to worry about going prone use the 40's. For 3 gun we use different mags for the stage and in real life using different tools for different tasks also makes sense. I ordered 10 and they should be here by the end of the week.
Pat

Wake27
07-11-13, 01:31
The more I look at pics, the more I'd be very interested in seeing a side by side length comparison (free and inserted) of the surefire 60 and pmag 40.

Agreed.

weggy
07-11-13, 03:34
Thanks for the review. Sticks out too far IMO. I would rather have several 30 round mags.

I agree, I like the 40's but the 30's a much more convenient.

Alaskapopo
07-11-13, 04:40
Kind of funny that some of the same concerns about the new 40 round mags are what people had with 30 round mags when they started to see common use over the 20's.
Pat

Airhasz
07-11-13, 07:23
Kind of funny that some of the same concerns about the new 40 round mags are what people had with 30 round mags when they started to see common use over the 20's.
Pat

Agree, people are skeptical at first and within a year most will own 40 rounder.

waffentomas
07-11-13, 08:51
Is there such thing as a 'spring whore'??

I think that's me. I am going to get some, but not until I can get some replacement springs from Wolff or Magpul.

But, I will get some.

ennbeegunny15
07-11-13, 11:31
Nice review, I'll have to procure some ASAP.

mrvco
07-11-13, 11:44
I'm glad I got a couple for the mag bin pre-ban, but yeah, I can't say I have a compelling use for them.

Suwannee Tim
07-11-13, 13:39
Pat

People have been getting boogered up over increases in capacity since the Trapdoor Springfield. One of the reasons the M1 Garand was controversial was the idea soldiers would waste ammo with the large magazine capacity of 8 rounds. Though not everyone considered ammo shot at the enemy to be wasted.

Who did you get your 40 round PMags from Alaska?

TakeAwayTheFear
07-11-13, 17:28
That 40 looks so mean! Ill have to get a couple to go along with my 45 round ak74 mags

sinlessorrow
07-11-13, 19:57
People have been getting boogered up over increases in capacity since the Trapdoor Springfield. One of the reasons the M1 Garand was controversial was the idea soldiers would waste ammo with the large magazine capacity of 8 rounds. Though not everyone considered ammo shot at the enemy to be wasted.

There is a bit of a difference though. No one here is concerned over wasting ammo, its more of a "that mag is obnoxiously long" type of thing.

Sure its nice to have those 10 rounds, but if it is a hinderence when going prone theres an issue.

WS6
07-11-13, 20:09
You don't shoot it prone. You shoot it kneeling, lol!

Alaskapopo
07-11-13, 20:47

Brownells pre order when it was first announced.

filthy phil
07-11-13, 21:37
Just got my tracking today on 2-40s from hunting & tactical
they were $20 ea, $6 shipping.
I ordered 6/20 so yeah, they're a bit slow:rolleyes:

WS6
07-11-13, 21:51
Just got my tracking today on 2-40s from hunting & tactical
they were $20 ea, $6 shipping.
I ordered 6/20 so yeah, they're a bit slow:rolleyes:

Good. I was beginning to worry about them on my order.

Tiny Killer Robot
07-11-13, 21:56
I am of the opinion that you should have different mags for different uses. For shooting off a bench or a bi pod on the ground 20 round mags are nice. For most uses 30 rounders work great. For instances where your mainly worried about CQB and don't need to worry about going prone use the 40's. For 3 gun we use different mags for the stage and in real life using different tools for different tasks also makes sense. I ordered 10 and they should be here by the end of the week.
Pat

I don't shoot 3 gun. Every component of my rifle is geared to what I might need. I live in West Texas. It is like the surface of the moon here. Few trees and if I stand on my roof, I can almost see Alaska. Every friend with a rifle has it set up with powered optics, bipods, and crap for longer ranged shooting. My rifle is set up for defensive use with an ML3, fixed front sight, and 30 round mags. While I agree that the right tool for the right job is important, when you don't know exactly what the job is entailes using more flexible decisions in the tools you keep handy. I use 20 round mags at the range, but honestly after zero'ing, I don't shoot bench at all. I don't envision needing to put two rounds into 15 targets under time or any other reason why a mag change would be impractical. For the niche use like 3 gun gun, I don't have any problems with them. For me, they just have no practical uses.

MistWolf
07-11-13, 22:39
In my case, the 40 round mags might make the perfect mono-pod. I find the 30 round mags a bit short

kest_01
07-11-13, 22:42
How much more do these hang out of a BFG ten speed or HSGI taco mag pouch? Those are the 2 pouches I rock on my kit, and while I might be giving up a few inches in the prone, I think that they might have they're own purpose depended on the situation. Also want at least a few to throw in the face of libtards.

3ACR_Scout
07-16-13, 11:46
In case anyone's interested, I took a photo comparing an AK magazine to a PMAG 40 and PMAG 30 (Gen 3):

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-6mcTZU2ySyc/UeDmfWmy52I/AAAAAAAAABk/M-nFh0YP6D8/s800/PMAG40comparison.jpg

The question came up on another forum in relation to using AK magazine pouches for the PMAG 40. I think it would probably work, but I don't have any AK pouches to test it.

Dave

JPB
07-16-13, 11:52
40 rounders are the most prevalent mags for the HK93. Not a huge fan of them, but HK caught onto this way back, and they work like all HK mags do.

Circle_10
07-16-13, 12:14
The question came up on another forum in relation to using AK magazine pouches for the PMAG 40. I think it would probably work, but I don't have any AK pouches to test it.

Dave

I have a "shingle" style AK magazine pouch with the bungee retention that fits my Bulgarian IK-520 40 round mags, I've found they also fit in my Galil mag pouch. I'm assuming the IK-520s must be of fairly similar dimensions to the Pmag 40.

ScottsBad
11-18-13, 14:48
Just thought I'd revive this. Anyone have any problems with these?

I got a few just for fun, but I don't see them being as useful for run and gun, because of the length. But they are really cool for pissing off the libtards.

gunnut165
11-18-13, 14:57
I picked one up at Cabelas a couple of months ago for $20. I was in the store looking for ammo as usual and seen they had them so I pick one up. I have had no issues what so ever. Just wish I would have bought more.

Dave_M
11-18-13, 23:30

PMag 40 is ~.75" longer than the Surefire 60. I can take some pics tomorrow.

Iraqgunz
11-19-13, 02:04
Check out post # 216.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?133179-Magpul-Gen3-40rd-Pmags&p=1694557#post1694557

KingCobra
11-19-13, 10:59
how well do you think this mag would do feeding a fully auto rifle? more specifically the m27 IAR?

ScottsBad
11-19-13, 11:05
PMag 40 is ~.75" longer than the Surefire 60. I can take some pics tomorrow.

Yeah, I get that, but the Surefire will not work in my GenII Noveske Lowers, and makes me nervous in the SCAR. I'd rather have reliability. Thanks.

ScottsBad
11-19-13, 11:05
Check out post # 216.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?133179-Magpul-Gen3-40rd-Pmags&p=1694557#post1694557

Thank you for that. NOTE: I'm not sure the M4C search function through Google is giving the best results. I've noticed this on several searches. JMHO

SPQR476
11-19-13, 11:21
how well do you think this mag would do feeding a fully auto rifle? more specifically the m27 IAR?

We tested it specifically in the IAR, and almost all our testing is in F/A. The PMAG40 keeps up with cyclic rates up to 1150 rpm with flawless reliability-far higher than anything remotely in-spec. We have to use an overgassed Mk18 and some voodoo to get it going that fast, but it feeds like a champ.

JusticeM4
11-19-13, 20:56
We tested it specifically in the IAR, and almost all our testing is in F/A. The PMAG40 keeps up with cyclic rates up to 1150 rpm with flawless reliability-far higher than anything remotely in-spec. We have to use an overgassed Mk18 and some voodoo to get it going that fast, but it feeds like a champ.

Thanks for that important tidbit.

Any info if it will ever come out in other colors or in windowed version? I'm sure this is not a priority at the moment but would be nice to know.

Iraqgunz
11-20-13, 01:43
I don't think the issue is the magazine. I have used my Surefire 60's in 3 different types of lowers and they have worked just fine.

Yeah, I get that, but the Surefire will not work in my GenII Noveske Lowers, and makes me nervous in the SCAR. I'd rather have reliability. Thanks.

KingCobra
11-23-13, 12:18

NVM, I found the answer to my question in your OP.

do you know where we can get some of these from? It would be nice to pick one or two up for my deployment next month.

kgwld1
11-23-13, 15:46
Wow that's long only thing I like about it as I can put two boxes of 20 in it but downloading two guess it's 38. Hate having loose rounds. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

JS-Maine
11-23-13, 16:09
I don't think the issue is the magazine. I have used my Surefire 60's in 3 different types of lowers and they have worked just fine.

From what I understand, when combining a Noveske gen II lower and a Surefire 60 we are putting two non .mil components together. Correct me if I'm wrong. Seems like incompatibility is just an eventuality when dabbling in that realm.

3ACR_Scout
11-23-13, 16:37
do you know where we can get some of these from? It would be nice to pick one or two up for my deployment next month.

GT Distributors lists them for $18.95 but doesn't specifically say if they are in stock:

http://www.gtdist.com/ProductDetail.aspx?PartNumber=MAGPUL-MAG233-BLK

I also see them listed at Ammunition to Go, but I think $21.95 is too high for them unless you have to have them:

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/product_info.php/pName/1-magpul-pmag-p40-gen-m3-ar15m16-40rd-magazine-black/cName/ar15-ar10-mags-223556-ar15-mags

I preordered my toe from Brownell's for $18, I think.

Wow that's long only thing I like about it as I can put two boxes of 20 in it but downloading two guess it's 38. Hate having loose rounds.

I'm not sure of you're kidding, but there's no need to download 2 rounds from PMAGs. They are specifically designed with extra room for the full capacity.

Dave

kgwld1
11-23-13, 17:23
Was being a smartass years of being driven home with gi mags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Iraqgunz
11-24-13, 05:11
No I think it's really an issue of people making design changes and either not taking into account that we have a multitude of magazines on the market or simply someone didn't care if one or two types weren't compatible.

From what I understand, when combining a Noveske gen II lower and a Surefire 60 we are putting two non .mil components together. Correct me if I'm wrong. Seems like incompatibility is just an eventuality when dabbling in that realm.

Coughlin
12-06-13, 11:57
Idk if anyone noticed but if u watch the walking dead the tanker Martinez has a 40 round pmag in his M4....FYI

VIP3R 237
12-06-13, 12:03
With my 5.56 rifles the Pmag 40 is awesome, but when I load them for 300blk I have a hard time getting through the first couple rounds

Glock30
12-06-13, 12:04
Idk if anyone noticed but if u watch the walking dead the tanker Martinez has a 40 round pmag in his M4....FYI

ahhh haa I saw it as well

SPQR476
12-06-13, 12:17
With my 5.56 rifles the Pmag 40 is awesome, but when I load them for 300blk I have a hard time getting through the first couple rounds

The ribs are for 5.56 diameter projos. Same for the 30's, but with the 40, the extra 10 rounds can create enough extra drag to create problems. Doesn't occur with all projectile shapes to the same degree, depending on ogive shape.

WickedWillis
12-06-13, 12:44
ahhh haa I saw it as well

I was more impressed with seeing some DD's sprinkled in there the last episode. I figured since they are in "Georgia" they might as well be packing the best rifle Georgia can make. But, yes I did see the PMAG 40's as well.