PDA

View Full Version : Critique my rifle please.

kavants
07-10-13, 18:10
I want an honest critique of my rifle. I know some of the little accessories aren't needs. Some I just like. How solid does it look/sound? I tried to use top quality parts in all the right places. Has fired all different ammo fine (Tula, Wolf, PMC, M855, etc). It is for home defense so an Inforce WML is coming soon.
Here are the specs:

Lower:
PSA stripped lower
VLTOR Emod and buffer tube
LWRC NiB FCG w/ JP red and yellow springs and KNS pins
Spikes ST-T2 buffer and Daniel Defense carbine spring
BAD-ASS selector
Troy ambi mag release and ambi QD end plate
YHM EZ pull pins
BCM Gunfighter Mod 1 grip

Upper:
PSA M4 upper receiver
PSA premium BCG (MPI/HPT)
BCM CHF 14.5" mid barrel w/pinned Spikes Dynacomp and YHM gb
Troy 13" Alpha rail and VFG
Troy/Larue sights
BCM Gunfighter charging handle
Aimpoint Pro in ADM mount.
http://imageshack.us/scaled/landing/16/0dpy.jpg
http://imageshack.us/scaled/landing/29/nuwf.jpg

Iraqgunz
07-10-13, 18:23
See my thoughts below.

I want an honest critique of my rifle. I know some of the little accessories aren't needs. Some I just like. How solid does it look/sound? I tried to use top quality parts in all the right places. Has fired all different ammo fine (Tula, Wolf, PMC, M855, etc). It is for home defense so an Inforce WML is coming soon.
Here are the specs:

Lower:
PSA stripped lower
VLTOR Emod and buffer tube
LWRC NiB FCG w/ JP red and yellow springs and KNS pins (KNS pins serve no purpose. Take them out and put standard ones in).
Spikes ST-T2 buffer and Daniel Defense carbine spring (Get an H2 buffer)
BAD-ASS selector
Troy ambi mag release and ambi QD end plate
YHM EZ pull pins ((Put regular front and rear pins in it).
BCM Gunfighter Mod 1 grip

Upper:
PSA M4 upper receiver
PSA premium BCG (MPI/HPT)
BCM CHF 14.5" mid barrel w/pinned Spikes Dynacomp and YHM gb
Troy 13" Alpha rail and VFG
Troy/Larue sights
BCM Gunfighter charging handle
Aimpoint Pro in ADM mount.
http://imageshack.us/scaled/landing/16/0dpy.jpg

foxtrotx1
07-10-13, 18:25
Why the KNS pins?

GH41
07-10-13, 18:32
Is this a beauty contest? GH

Koshinn
07-10-13, 18:33
Why the ambi QD endplate if you're not using it?

Any flashlight in your future?

Col_Crocs
07-10-13, 18:37
With IG's points here. Other than that, looks gtg. Why that sling though?

arc
07-10-13, 18:38
(KNS pins serve no purpose. Take them out and put standard ones in).
(Get an H2 buffer)
(Put regular front and rear pins in it).

I've heard all the arguments against the KNS pins being something that just about nobody needs. (and tend to agree)
I understand the H2 buffer.
I've not heard anything bad about the "YHM EZ pull" takedown and pivot pins. Is it just a matter of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"? or is there a specific "bad thing will happen" that goes along with them?

I use regular pins myself, I'm just wondering.

Thanks. Always looking to learn.
-James

RMiller
07-10-13, 18:38
KNS pins fix a non existent problem.

Get rid of the ST-T2 buffer. Put a real buffer in. With a middy put in an H1 and you may get away with an H2 depending on which ammo you are running that day.

Other than that its an ok build.

What do you plan to use it for exactly?

kavants
07-10-13, 19:25
Thanks for the feedback. No it's not a beauty contest. I am looking for functional feedback. I've heard the pros/cons against the KNS pins. Why the doubt with the buffer Iraqgunz? Is it know to be an issue? Got the sling cheap, no other reason. I am looking at the Inforce WML at 12:00 for a light.

eperk
07-10-13, 19:29
Shoot the weapon. If the buffer works for you, don't change it. I am currently running the ST-T2 in a carbine and a middy with different springs. Both are sweet, soft shooting.

Glock30
07-10-13, 19:36
Nice setup :) enjoy

KiloSix
07-10-13, 19:36

What does "Kafr" on the mag well mean?

kavants
07-10-13, 19:40
What does "Kafr" on the mag well mean?

Its the Arabic word kafir, translates to Infidel. Just a cheap decal.

Moose-Knuckle
07-10-13, 19:48
I'd loose that Troy Battlesling and pick up a padded VCAS from BFG.

http://www.blueforcegear.com/vickers-padded-sling/

kavants
07-10-13, 19:56

I do like those BFG slings. I've never handled one, but have read very good things.

Blak1508
07-10-13, 20:00
Do you like the way it shoots? I prob would offload the pins, for 2 reasons personally I like the way regular pins look, or rather that they do not even show, second I've never had an issue with the regular pins. How is that comp? I have a BCM MOD 0 and really am impressed with it, you may want to eventually check it out..

I think your GTG as long as it runs well, be safe and enjoy it, I think it looks good.

kavants
07-10-13, 20:03
Do you like the way it shoots? I prob would offload the pins, for 2 reasons personally I like the way regular pins look, second I've never had an issue with the regular pins. How is that comp? I have a BCM MOD 0 and really am impressed with it, you may want to eventually check it out..

I think your GTG as long as it runs well, be safe and enjoy it, I think it looks good.

It's run good so far. About 1500 assorted rounds through it. The comp is ok, I don't have much to reference to. I've used YHM flash hiders in the past.

doriwoogie
07-10-13, 20:04
+1 on the padded VCAS. Fast, easy adjustments and comfy!

Blak1508
07-10-13, 20:25
Nice man well keep at it, as long as it runs reliably and your happy with it, you will find out what you like and do not like with extended use. For example I had the Magpul BAD lever and its a great tool and is very useful but the more and more I went shooting the quicker it came off, now I feel like it can cause bad habits unless every rifle I shoot has one, which is not the case, so now none of my AR's have them. The VCAS is amazing also, I run them on all my long guns. It's a great piece of equipment. You may want to also check out the Vltor A5 system, that's an amazing kit. Again these are things that I would look into, but are not necessity. While I am at it, the Aimpoint PRO LaRue LT-129 mount, that mount is amazing, it is lighter and moves the optic back quite a bit, it also can store a spare battery. Great mount I love mine.

broylz
07-10-13, 21:16
I would just shoot the heck out of it and see what works or doesn't. Looks good to me. I plan on building something very similar in the near future. I like the 13" alpha tube on a 14.5.

only thing I would add is the flashlight which you say you already have coming, and a spare set of batteries for it in your stock compartments.

jaxman7
07-10-13, 21:28
Concerning the KNS take down pins. I do not like them. When I first got into ARs seriously I did purchase a set. Quickly found out with an ambi-selector my thumb hits the take down pin protrusion and cannot reach the selector with support hand shooting. Completely blocks the natural movement.

-Jax

kavants
07-10-13, 21:43
Concerning the KNS take down pins. I do not like them. When I first got into ARs seriously I did purchase a set. Quickly found out with an ambi-selector my thumb hits the take down pin protrusion and cannot reach the selector with support hand shooting. Completely blocks the natural movement.

-Jax

Hmm...hadn't considered that.

HighSpeedDreams
07-10-13, 22:50
I'm with most of the other guys.

Main critiques for me;

- Sling is way to bulky for me. Sling choice should be directly impacted by intended use/application. If that particular model works for your given mission set, you're good to go.

- This is more of a personal thing but the vertical grip, for me, defeats the best aspects of the TRX.

Good build. Sign up for some classes, run it hard, and let us know what YOU would change.

STONE-YARDER
07-10-13, 22:58
+1 with IG and I would dump the mini broomstick for a handstop or nothing at all.

Endur
07-10-13, 23:10

-Jax

I can second that as I have the YH ez pull pins on mine with an ambi Battle Arms selector and unless you have their Crank lever it will be an issue.

RMiller
07-10-13, 23:16
Shoot the weapon. If the buffer works for you, don't change it. I am currently running the ST-T2 in a carbine and a middy with different springs. Both are sweet, soft shooting.

But an ST-T2 is a gimmick. Powered tungsten just doesn't do the job like a real buffer with solid weights.

KeeleyUSMC
07-10-13, 23:20

Agreed....

Tonyparson
07-10-13, 23:30
But an ST-T2 is a gimmick. Powered tungsten just doesn't do the job like a real buffer with solid weights.

I was about to order a ST-S2 and I local gunsmith I know told me the same thing, it's a gimmick. I do like the looks of your AR.

ColtSeavers
07-10-13, 23:45
Personally, I'd ditch the sling, foregrip and KNS pins.
Don't worry about ST-T2, you've already got it and if your rifle runs, it runs, the ST-T2 isn't going to hurt it.

tpevan
07-10-13, 23:52
Ditch the sling for a standard VCAS or padded VCAS. Lose the EZ-pull YKM pins as well as the KNS pins.

Lian
07-11-13, 01:25
Its the Arabic word kafir, translates to Infidel. Just a cheap decal.

it's also an EXTREMELY bad racial swear word in south africa.
imagine the N-word in america..... x10
imagine the deltaforce rescue scene in blackhawk down.... :suicide2:

MistWolf
07-11-13, 01:28
LWRC NiB FCG w/ JP red and yellow springs and KNS pins

I don't know what the different colors of JP springs mean. Some will reduce the hammer spring tension to reduce pull weight but it means hammer speed and impact on the primer is reduced.

KNS pins are softer than standard pins and I think their diameter is a tick off

Spikes ST-T2 buffer

From what I understand, slow motion video shows the Spikes buffer doesn't eliminate carrier bounce as well as a standard buffer does.

To me, the rest of the rifle looks good. I don't use a BAD lever. In my opinion, the lever doesn't look strong enough to resist damage if the rifle were dropped or roughly handled.

Personally, I don't like the VFG or AFG. They feel awkward to me.

I'd experiment with the sling attachment locations for better comfort when it's slung across your body. Try attaching the font part to the left side of the handguard and the rear to the left side and see if that works better for you

VIP3R 237
07-11-13, 01:43
From what I understand, slow motion video shows the Spikes buffer doesn't eliminate carrier bounce as well as a standard buffer does.

IIRC Andrew of Vuurwapen Blog made up a high speed video that showed the ST-T2 actually increased bolt bounce.

ColtSeavers
07-11-13, 01:51
IIRC Andrew of Vuurwapen Blog made up a high speed video that showed the ST-T2 actually increased bolt bounce.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=575Q0O41u5s&feature=youtube_gdata_player
There's more than one buffer in there minutely causing bolt bounce as far as I can see.

vicious_cb
07-11-13, 02:22
Thanks for the feedback. No it's not a beauty contest. I am looking for functional feedback. I've heard the pros/cons against the KNS pins. Why the doubt with the buffer Iraqgunz? Is it know to be an issue? Got the sling cheap, no other reason. I am looking at the Inforce WML at 12:00 for a light.

Its the fact that the spikes tungsten powder buffers work WORSE than buffers with regular weights in them. Confirmed by high speed video and number of personal experience including mine. Get a regular H2 or H buffer instead.

RMiller
07-11-13, 06:00
The OP asked us to critique his build. M4C holds a higher standard than sup-par parts. It would be a disservice to him to recommend anything other than a real buffer.

Personally, I'd ditch the sling, foregrip and KNS pins.
Don't worry about ST-T2, you've already got it and if your rifle runs, it runs, the ST-T2 isn't going to hurt it.

I'm going to have to agree on the different colored FCG springs. If either are designed to reduce pull weight it can sacrifice reliability.

If a good trigger pull is what you are after a ALG QMS is the best mil spec trigger for the money at $45. Great pull, no grit.

I would also consider ditching the Troy and running a VCAS.

eperk
07-11-13, 06:23

That's what I hear. I have seen the bolt bounce video also. Remember that was taken with one setup used in the same weapon. It's an excellent video BTW. My gas system and spring is set up differently. I can imagine if you fool with the carrier type, spring, gas system, etc. you can get bolt bounce with any weight buffer.
My point is that if the ST-T2 works, why spend the money for another buffer. Spend it on something else.

mattg1024
07-11-13, 06:33
I'd take the "Infidel" thing off. All that stuff, along with punisher logos and such wouldn't look so good it court God forbid you have to use that to defend your life.

RMiller
07-11-13, 07:03
Same reasoning I'm telling him to ditch the sling, springs, and pins.

That's what I hear. I have seen the bolt bounce video also. Remember that was taken with one setup used in the same weapon. It's an excellent video BTW. My gas system and spring is set up differently. I can imagine if you fool with the carrier type, spring, gas system, etc. you can get bolt bounce with any weight buffer.
My point is that if the ST-T2 works, why spend the money for another buffer. Spend it on something else.

kavants
07-11-13, 08:52
Thanks for all the replies. I'll look into a new buffer for sure. H would be the best option correct? I have a standard carbine buffer in the box now I can replace it with. The EZ pull pins and sling will probably go as well.

RMiller
07-11-13, 09:19
An H1 would be the safest bet with a middy and the underpowered ammo you sometimes shoot. An H2 would be fine with regular 5.56 powered ammo. The gas system, bolt, buffer, and spring are major factors in a carbines reliability.

Thanks for all the replies. I'll look into a new buffer for sure. H would be the best option correct? I have a standard carbine buffer in the box now I can replace it with. The EZ pull pins and sling will probably go as well.

Clem
07-11-13, 09:22

The weight on the ST-T2 buffer is 4.05oz.
The H buffer is 3.8 oz and the H2 is 4.6 oz.
If you have ability to test both, that's what I'd do, to see which works best.

You could even try an H3 at 5.4 oz.
Use the heaviest one that cycles reliably.

Since you already have a Carbine Buffer you could buy a H3 buffer and mix and match the weights.

carbine - 3 steel weights
h - 2 steel one tungsten
h2 - 2 tungsten one steel
h3 - 3 tungsten

masakari
07-11-13, 09:22
to me, it looks perfect. while I agree that KNS pins arent generally necessary, you already have them so use them. the same goes for the YHM receiver pins.
I like the Spike's buffer, so I recommend keeping it.
my only recommendations are: a flashlight. maybe mounted at 12:00, or slightly offset. I would remove the rail at 9:00. also, the pad on the Troy sling looks like it wouldnt rest on your shoulder, it might be good to move it further to the rear of the weapon so it serves its purpose.
looks like an awesome setup. buy mags, ammo, and go shoot.

ColtSeavers
07-11-13, 09:26
The OP asked us to critique his build. M4C holds a higher standard than sup-par parts. It would be a disservice to him to recommend anything other than a real buffer.

You should really watch the comparison video linked above.

Cylinder Head
07-11-13, 09:26
I'd take the "Infidel" thing off. All that stuff, along with punisher logos and such wouldn't look so good it court God forbid you have to use that to defend your life.

I think that every time I look at my Noveske dust cover:

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d82/youreallclones/photo-38.jpg

But I can't bring myself to take it off.

ScatmanCrothers
07-11-13, 09:58

Not following.

That video shows the ST-T2, in most instances, with a bounce slightly more pronounced than a Carbine, clearly more pronounced than a H, and similar to the 9mm.

If they would have included a H2 in the demonstration then you'd have the H and H2 performing noticeably better than the ST-T2, which happen to be the recommendations itt.

Disclaimer: I have nothing against the Spike's buffer. It just doesn't perform like a regular styled buffer.

RMiller
07-11-13, 10:03

I've watched it and others plenty. There's a reason I run a Vltor A5.

However, there's nothing an ST-T2 that an H1 wouldn't do at half the cost. Or what a real H2 wouldn't do ( help fix an overgassed carbine).

There's a reason Colt, BCM, and DD do not use powered tungsten in their buffers and use solid weights like they are supposed to.

Btw, this coming from a guy who had a ST-T2 in his first build and traded it out for something entirely better.

ColtSeavers
07-11-13, 10:47
Outside of the rifle buffer, all the buffers in the video showed bolt bounce back.

As the OP already has and is using the ST-T2, and assuming it is not causing feeding/extraction issues or worse, it will be fine to continue to use it if the OP desires.

However, the OP has since then stated that they already have a carbine buffer. As no more money would be spent, I would suggest that the OP actually try the carbine buffer before fixing what might not have even been 'broken' to begin with.

If the OP is looking to get as close to 'mil spec' as possible, this would be a good course of action to take. Othersie, if the OP is just looking for a critique, then the OP is free to take whatever direction they wish.

kavants
07-11-13, 10:51
I am looking for a reliable, durable weapon. I havent had any issues with the Spikes buffer, but if it is questionable I'll replace it

markm
07-11-13, 11:04
The gun needs MORE LUDUS!

kavants
07-11-13, 11:07
The gun needs MORE LUDUS!

HUH? :smile:

markm
07-11-13, 11:11
LUDUS to gunning is what COW BELL is to Music!

fixit69
07-11-13, 11:27
Ditch the bad lever. Caused me and others headache.

The spikes t2 is garbage. I had one and at and extreme low rate of fire, it's ok. But running a carbine hard or F/A it's a jamomatic.

Other than that, get rid of the pins, better sling for the application, pretty much what everyone else said. Nice weapon, just needs some stuff took off and a few tweaks.

kavants
07-11-13, 11:31
Ditch the bad lever. Caused me and others headache.

The spikes t2 is garbage. I had one and at and extreme low rate of fire, it's ok. But running a carbine hard or F/A it's a jamomatic.

Other than that, get rid of the pins, better sling for the application, pretty much what everyone else said. Nice weapon, just needs some stuff took off and a few tweaks.

No BAD lever, I have a Battle Arms BAD-ASS ambi selctor. Highly recommended here. Im looking at the VCAS sling and new buffers as well.

Mike Miller
07-11-13, 11:33
KNS pins are not recommended for a new build because they cost extra money with no benefit

For someone who already has them, however, I do not see how paying extra money for regular pins with no benefit helps anything.

Keep the pins you have, and don't spend extra cash.

edit - Maybe I'm just misunderstanding everyone's intent, and they assume you already have the regular ones stored away?

RMiller
07-11-13, 11:33
We.....need ......more..... COWBELL!

LUDUS to gunning is what COW BELL is to Music!

MistWolf
07-11-13, 12:14
KNS pins are not recommended for a new build because they cost extra money with no benefit

For someone who already has them, however, I do not see how paying extra money for regular pins with no benefit helps anything.

Keep the pins you have, and don't spend extra cash.

edit - Maybe I'm just misunderstanding everyone's intent, and they assume you already have the regular ones stored away?

As I said earlier- KNS pins are soft and the wrong diameter

WickedWillis
07-11-13, 12:23
I think it looks great, and if it works for you, It works for you. Quick translation though الكفرة (Arabic) is Infidel.

kavants
07-11-13, 12:25
As I said earlier- KNS pins are soft and the wrong diameter

Forgive my ignorance, but what are you basing this on? The KNS pins are SS and fit snuggly in my lower. Isnt SS typically harder than most Carbon steel?

WickedWillis
07-11-13, 12:30
No stainless steel is more brittle than carbon steel. Source-I work inside sales at a welding supply company.

Forgive my ignorance, but what are you basing this on? The KNS pins are SS and fit snuggly in my lower. Isnt SS typically harder than most Carbon steel?

07-11-13, 12:33
How to critique a rifle:

1. Take to a quality multi-day carbine class of known quality such as TigerSwan, Jason Falla, LAV, Kyle Lamb, Kyle DeFoor, Northern Red, Jeff Gonzalez, Dave Harrington, or Mike Pannone.

2. See what works for you, breaks, don't need, etc.

3. Fix problems.

MistWolf
07-11-13, 12:45

It's also about how they are heat treated.

Geisselle has found that the pins are soft and of the wrong diameter

TakeAwayTheFear
07-11-13, 17:26
Looks good to me! Cant have the same thing as everyone else

ennbeegunny15
07-11-13, 22:25
Looks good, run it hard and go from there.

tnt1106
07-12-13, 09:30
Why that sling though?

+1 on the padded VCAS. Fast, easy adjustments and comfy!

I'm with most of the other guys.

- Sling is way to bulky for me. Sling choice should be directly impacted by intended use/application. If that particular model works for your given mission set, you're good to go.

Personally, I'd ditch the sling,

Ditch the sling for a standard VCAS or padded VCAS.

What no one has mentioned is why you should ditch that sling. The "squared" padding will hang up on clothing etc when transitioning the rifle at times. Look at above sling recommendations and see how the padding section is tapered and can not get caught or snag when the weapon is rotating around your torso.

This and avoid being recorded calling anyone names that come across as offensive or combative. (Yay AmeriKa.)

kavants
07-12-13, 12:20
There look to be two different Vickers slings from Blue Force. Padded and unpadded. Any real preference between the two?

RMiller
07-12-13, 12:29
There look to be two different Vickers slings from Blue Force. Padded and unpadded. Any real preference between the two?

If you're in a t-shirt most of the time when using this rifle get the padded. Your neck/shoulder will appreciate it. :D

kavants
07-12-13, 12:32
10-4. Usually either a T or a polo. I do appreciate all the thoughts. I am going to be making changes. On a different note, what is a good class for a beginning tactical shooter? I know my way around firearms, but would like to build a foundation with this type of shooting.

tpevan
07-12-13, 12:59

I have both...I prefer the unpadded over the padded. I've always had issues with the padded portion not laying across me correctly and getting "scrunched up" too easy. The unpadded has always worked well for me whether I'm wearing just a T-shirt or my polys with a vest underneath.

Moose-Knuckle
07-12-13, 15:11

I run both and prefer the padded for the reasons mentioned above.

tnt1106
07-12-13, 15:22
I have both...I prefer the unpadded over the padded. I've always had issues with the padded portion not laying across me correctly and getting "scrunched up" too easy. The unpadded has always worked well for me whether I'm wearing just a T-shirt or my polys with a vest underneath.

I run both and prefer the padded for the reasons mentioned above.

I run padded as well. I lack natural cushion so it helps a bit.

RMiller
07-12-13, 15:22
10-4. Usually either a T or a polo. I do appreciate all the thoughts. I am going to be making changes. On a different note, what is a good class for a beginning tactical shooter? I know my way around firearms, but would like to build a foundation with this type of shooting.

Look around here a bit. You'll see VSM, alias, redback one, F2S are prevelent around here. Just do a bit of searching in your area. A google search will produce quite a bit as well.