PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning with jags

Greenhead308
07-10-13, 22:43
I am about to order a Tipton one piece carbon fiber cleaning rod and JP bore guide. Up until now I've only used a bore snake.

When cleaning with a jag what is the best way to minimize chances for damage to the barrel crown? Do you run it and the patch out the end of the barrel and remove the patch? Or remove the patch and jag all together, then pull the rod back through?

Sorry for the dumb question, I've just found a lot of conflicting information online and want to make sure I do it right. If someone could walk me through the process that would be great.

Thanks for the help.

Pork Chop
07-10-13, 22:54
You'd have to get pretty rough with a jag to damage your crown. I just push out the end, remove patch, then gently pull back through. Repeat until clean.

Greenhead308
07-10-13, 22:56
You'd have to get pretty rough with a jag to damage your crown. I just push out the end, remove patch, then gently pull back through. Repeat until clean.

Ok that makes sense. Do you run a patch though with a patch loop and solvent first, then run the jag?

bp7178
07-10-13, 23:48
I spray solvent down the bore until it runs out. Let it soak for a few min with the gas tube up. Give it a couple of fresh sprays, Slip 725, and spray a bronze brush with same. Run the brush through 5 times. Run wet patches through until they come out clean. Dry patch until they are clean and dry. Run one lightly oiled patch, then one dry patch.

davidjinks
07-11-13, 20:15
Bronze brush with solvent/CLP. Let set for 5-10 minutes.

Jag with patches pushed through. I pull the patch off and pull the rod back through.

Ok that makes sense. Do you run a patch though with a patch loop and solvent first, then run the jag?