PDA

View Full Version : Multicam Centurion Arms CMR. Thoughts?

blgjr64
07-11-13, 11:06
Ok so here is my CMR on my 6720. The CMR and other items are "Hydro dipped" and I think it came out pretty good (the receivers are painted by myself using Aervoe Light Coyote) . The Hydro Dipping was done by http://virginiahydrodesigns.com/index.html

I absolutely love the way it looks. My only concern is how it will hold up on the CMR. The gentleman at Va. Hydro Designs told me they blast the anodized finish off in order to achieve maximum adhesion. Hearing that made me cringe but these guys do this for a living and I decided to let them do it. After reading up on Hydro Dipping it really is all in the prep work and putting the proper primers, base coats, finishes, etc. and these guys do just that. I'm just worried that my rail is not as "rugged" as it should be with no anodized finish on it. I guess time will tell :(

Some of you that have more knowledge than I do in anodized finishes, 6061 T6 aluminum, and "hydro dipping" can tell me if what I have done to my CMR could have compromised the overall structural integrity of the rail? I would greatly appreciate your input on this subject. I intend to use this as my go to rifle whenever/whatever situation(hopefully never) time comes. I need this thing to be G2G and reliable without me thinking twice about it. That is why I am asking these questions.

Let me know what y'all think.
Thanks

VIP3R 237
07-11-13, 11:11
It looks awesome.

Bare aluminum oxidizes as soon as it comes into contact with O2. Anodizing does strengthen the material, however when sand blasting for prep work most do not completely removed the hardened material, just the dyed part. Honestly there is nothing to worry about, you did not compromise the structural integrity.

And for curiosity sake, where is the film seam on your rail?

blgjr64
07-11-13, 11:41
It looks awesome.

Bare aluminum oxidizes as soon as it comes into contact with O2. Anodizing does strengthen the material, however when sand blasting for prep work most do not completely removed the hardened material, just the dyed part. Honestly there is nothing to worry about, you did not compromise the structural integrity.

And for curiosity sake, where is the film seam on your rail?

Thanks for the response. That's good to hear. The clear coat did crack and chip off (VERY small area) where my front Troy Battle Sight is sinched down. I guess that is expected to happen with that metal sight clamped down tightly on the rail. After seeing this happen, it made me think, is this coating going to be a good choice for the rail on my "go to" rifle?

And to answer your question about the film seam. I can't look at it right now (at work) but from what I can recall, the "seams" on most of the items were on the top and bottom. And they were on the top and bottom of the rail. It's very hard to see unless you are really looking for it. It appears they did a double dip on most items, from looking at the seams on the top and bottom.

PAWs 21
07-11-13, 11:47
Sweet rifle OP! Question for VIP3R- I've heard that there is a clear Cerakote, would one be able to Cerakote over Hydro-dipped components? Thanks.

VIP3R 237
07-11-13, 12:33
Sweet rifle OP! Question for VIP3R- I've heard that there is a clear Cerakote, would one be able to Cerakote over Hydro-dipped components? Thanks.

Yes the Micro Clear is recommended for a Clear Coat. It is a more durable finish and it is much more resistant to chemicals and solvents than automotive grade clear coat.

punchinout
07-11-13, 13:11
blgjr64, what prep work did you do to your upper and lower? Is the Aervoe applied directly over the anodizing?

Jeffro2912
07-11-13, 13:18
I think the Multicam looks amazing. I've been a fan of the pattern ever since I noticed the Army fielding it and it looks even better on a rifle than it does on utilities.

VIP3R 237
07-11-13, 13:21
Thanks for the response. That's good to hear. The clear coat did crack and chip off (VERY small area) where my front Troy Battle Sight is sinched down. I guess that is expected to happen with that metal sight clamped down tightly on the rail. After seeing this happen, it made me think, is this coating going to be a good choice for the rail on my "go to" rifle?

And to answer your question about the film seam. I can't look at it right now (at work) but from what I can recall, the "seams" on most of the items were on the top and bottom. And they were on the top and bottom of the rail. It's very hard to see unless you are really looking for it. It appears they did a double dip on most items, from looking at the seams on the top and bottom.

Thank. Hydro dipping, as with all painted finishes, will chip and crack with use. Will it effect function? Not at all, if anything it adds character to the rifle.

jmnielsen
07-11-13, 14:34
If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay to get it done?

PAWs 21
07-11-13, 14:54
Yes the Micro Clear is recommended for a Clear Coat. It is a more durable finish and it is much more resistant to chemicals and solvents than automotive grade clear coat.

Thanks, good to know. So the hydro-dip will hold up to the cerakoting?

blgjr64
07-11-13, 15:13
blgjr64, what prep work did you do to your upper and lower? Is the Aervoe applied directly over the anodizing?

I used 91% rubbing alcohol and Brakleen (Non-chlorinated). Disassembled most of the upper and lower receiver. Taped up the holes and other areas I didn't want paint on. And used a can of compressed air to get all the lint off.

I applied 3 light layers with 20 minutes between each layer.

And yes i applied directly over the anodized aluminum.

blgjr64
07-11-13, 15:33
I think the Multicam looks amazing. I've been a fan of the pattern ever since I noticed the Army fielding it and it looks even better on a rifle than it does on utilities.

Thank you!

I have always loved Multicam since it came out. Never thought about putting it on my rifle until awhile ago I remember seeing Sticks picture of Costa with what I believed was a completely dipped Multicam KAC rifle. Looked very good. At first I was like, yeah that looks pretty darn cool, but not sure if it's worth it. Plus when I first saw it I had no idea of the process, where to get it done, who to trust to do a good job, was it really practical on firearms that are used a lot, etc. (and ever since I have had an AR I have always debated on "rattle canning" it myself so I could break up the color of just ALL black or colored furniture)

After thinking about it, I came up with this idea that you see in the pictures above and I really like it. Looks good, but most importantly serves my purpose of breaking up the plain black of the rifle.

Tonyparson
07-11-13, 15:39
I like the look. I've always wonder how Durable the dipping finish is.

blgjr64
07-11-13, 15:44
Thank. Hydro dipping, as with all painted finishes, will chip and crack with use. Will it effect function? Not at all, if anything it adds character to the rifle.

I really appreciate you chiming in. I wanted to hear from someone who knows about dipping with firearms that are actually used as tools.

I am right with you on giving it character, I want to run this gun hard. I was just concerned about giving it "character" if they had to blast off the anodizing finish. After hearing from you, makes me feel better.

I think I will give Va. Hydro Designs a call soon to ask them if they blast the finish off completely, or just the dyed part as you mentioned earlier. I really hope they did not completely blast it :(

blgjr64
07-11-13, 15:48
If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay to get it done?

No problem!

For the CMR, BCM Pistol grip, IMod, and 6 windowed PMags was a total of $230

blgjr64
07-11-13, 16:01

Thank you!

I guess time will tell on this.

I am anxiously awaiting Centurion Arms to release their really good looking rail panels and scout light attachment for the CMR. That way I can have some protection for the CMR and minimize what is on the rail as much as possible for my preference. But from what I have heard it will be at least another 2 months till they are released. Something to look forward too!

blgjr64
07-11-13, 16:03
Here is an additional photo.

VIP3R 237
07-11-13, 16:13
Thanks, good to know. So the hydro-dip will hold up to the cerakoting?

If you are looking to cerakote (with the exception of the micro clear) over a dipped part you will have to remove the dipping in order for the Cerakote to adhere.

With a proper clear coat it is much more durable than a rattle can, but not quite as durable as Cerakote.

I really appreciate you chiming in. I wanted to hear from someone who knows about dipping with firearms that are actually used as tools.

I am right with you on giving it character, I want to run this gun hard. I was just concerned about giving it "character" if they had to blast off the anodizing finish. After hearing from you, makes me feel better.

I think I will give Va. Hydro Designs a call soon to ask them if they blast the finish off completely, or just the dyed part as you mentioned earlier. I really hope they did not completely blast it :(

No problem at all. The reason they blast is because the base coat (and Cerakote) doesn't stick to anodizing very well so the sand blasting roughs up the surface enough for the base coat to stick. All the applier is trying to do is reduce as shine on the part(s).

PAWs 21
07-11-13, 16:30
Thanks for clearing that up VIP3R. So the only way to get Cerakote Durability with a hydro dip pattern is to use micro clear?

ennbeegunny15
07-11-13, 22:12
Here is an additional photo.

That my friend is one fine looking rig. Out-friggin-standing!

blgjr64
07-11-13, 22:36
That my friend is one fine looking rig. Out-friggin-standing!

Thank you very much sir!

cop1211
07-12-13, 02:03
Nice, I plan on taking one of mine down to JFE for a multi cam dip.

kest_01
07-12-13, 02:32
I'll agree that your rifle looks badass, I'm not a fan of anything that I can't touch up myself, some simple stencils and some Aervoe rattle can are all I need.

blgjr64
07-13-13, 16:57
I'll agree that your rifle looks badass, I'm not a fan of anything that I can't touch up myself, some simple stencils and some Aervoe rattle can are all I need.

Thanks.

I understand what your saying though. I'm really hoping this finish holds up pretty good. Time will tell.