PDA

View Full Version : Roughly machined sear surfaces on 'high end' FCG

phx223
07-11-13, 12:55
With out smearing the company that made this FCG I wanted to get some feedback on what I believe is a manufacturing defect.

^sorry no pics, it would certainly out the company when I am not sure if this is even an issue.

I have aftermarket triggers on all but my oldest Colt (pin size blues), and so I have quite a collection of unused stock FCG's, and all of them seem to have smooth, if not quite mirror finishes. However I recently bought another 'high end' FCG and noticed that the machining on the trigger where it interfaces with the hammer has a few issues: there are some prominent machining marks, there are multiple depths and directions to the machining and a small patch on the edge, of the vertical to horizontal junction, that looks a bit chewed up.

Upon install the trigger was quite gritty, the grittiest that I've ever shot on any firearm, although it did smooth out for the most part after a few dozen dry-fires. The grittiness still pops up from time to time and for what I paid (and the rep of this FCG) I don't think this should be an issue I have to 'break in' especially since I justified getting a nice trigger due to wanting to get the most out of my limited chances to get to the range.

Thoughts?

Is it normal to have such a surface on any trigger (let alone a 'high end' one)?

MistWolf
07-11-13, 13:09
Believe it or not, trigger sears do not need to be mirror polished for a smooth pull. All needed is for the high points of the machining marks to be smooth and flat. In fact, having completely smooth sear surfaces can increase friction between the two parts.

If you installed your FCG dry, you'll need to pull them back out and grease the sears, pivot points and the bottom curve of the hammer before putting them back in. Dry AR FCG are unhappy without lube and will be gritty

phx223
07-11-13, 14:51
That's just it nothing is smooth, or flat, and certainly a far cry from uniform and a portion of it looks a bit like chewed gum.

T2C
07-11-13, 15:41
If you paid high dollar for a "high end" FCG, I would call the company and ask them to make it right. They don't have to look pretty to function properly, but the surfaces should not look like "chewed bubble gum."

davidjinks
07-11-13, 20:11
Exactly this.

Shouldn't even be a question in anyone's mind if you're paying good money.

If you paid high dollar for a "high end" FCG, I would call the company and ask them to make it right. They don't have to look pretty to function properly, but the surfaces should not look like "chewed bubble gum."

Blak1508
07-11-13, 20:18
If you are certain there is an issue call the company, most of the better manufactures I know would not be okay with a sub par product with their name on it. Mistakes happen, so give them a call to make it right.